Big friendly mutt

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Alan-LaCala
Resident

Big friendly mutt

Postby Alan-LaCala » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:50 am

We had to let go Storm, our big 12 year old mutt yesterday morning.

A German Shepherd/Rottweiler cross of some 42 Kg., he was a big friendly softy, who in his time in La Cala had built a reputation as the perro grande who was the amigo of the feral beach cats. He would accompany my wife who feeds a bunch of them by one of the chiringuitos, and lie down beside the cats while they were being fed. The cats used to come and greet him every morning and rub noses with him. They will miss him as well as us.

The vet came to the house and he went peacefully while being cuddled by my wife.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:54 am

Oh how sad for you, am sure you have lots of happy memories though.

(Why was your wife cuddling the vet?!)

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:49 am

How sad, I can imagine how both of you must feel :cry:

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:06 am

Its so sad when an "old friend" dies, especially animals that you are very fond of. At least he had a good time with you and experienced kindness.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:11 am

probably not something you want to talk about, but i am interested...

what happened afterwards ? i mean.. did you bury the dog in the garden? or did the vet take care of it ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Heston
Resident

big mutt

Postby Heston » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:37 am

Alan I am so sorry same thing happend to us in September and some kind soul on here sent me this..it made me cry but comforted at the same timexxxxxxxxxxxx

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who have been ill and old are restored to health and vigour; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing - they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent, his eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carry him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face, your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart. Then together you and your special pet cross the Rainbow Bridge.

Author Unknown

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:06 pm

Oh Alan,i know exactly how you feel after losing my puppy just before christmas.At least you have years upon years of happy memories with your georgous dog.
I planned lots of things to do for my pups memory after he died-planted a tree in his memory,I also (via ebay)got the memorial of the rainbow bridge(with his photo on)to frame-that is georgous.i gathered together all his items,and im now trying to find a special box for his ashes and his collar and tags etc to go into,which will then be sealed.
Plan to do as much as you can for him.It really does make you feel better.My friend also lost her old Lab last year,and she made a photo album with all his pictures in,all the cards she recieved too.
They are very special to us,and only animal lovers totally understand how you and your wife will be feeling.
Take very good care of each other,and remember all the happy times you shared as a family.xxxxx

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:10 pm

Goodbye

With heavy hearts; and a tear in our eyes
after all these years; we must say goodbye
Please understand; we've done all we could
if there was anything we could do; you know we would

I'm sitting right here; gently rub your ears
while I talk to you softly; trying to hold back the tears
The memories you gave us; we'll never forget
especially the ones; of the day we all met

One last hug; and one last kiss
you have no idea; how much you'll be missed
To look into your eyes; this one last time
you tell me it's ok; you know it's your time

Close your eyes now; and go to sleep
we'll pray to the Lord; you're soul he'll keep
Go in peace now; our good friend
we'll stay right here with you; until the end

Dream of that special day and time
when we'll meet at the Bridge; and all will be fine
We'll run and play; side by side
with a soft warm feeling; deep down inside

Your memory will live on; in each one of us
you'll always be number 1; to all of us
Have a safe journey; through the night
I promise when you awake; you'll be in God's light

So with heavy hearts; and tears in our eyes
just for now my friend; we say goodbye.

--John Quealy

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:25 pm

sorry about your lovely dog, hope the story about the rainbow bridge help,blimey it got a few tears from me this morning,i got a Little Spanish dog, she was put in a plastic bag and then into the dust bin, she was about 6 weeks old,i little boy heard her and rescued her, she ran around our complex for weeks, but every morning she was asleep on my doorstep, so like you do you invite her in,well we had been burgled, and my wife was never happy never felt safe, this little dog arrived and from the first night till know she decided to sleep on the floor beside me wife's bed, she eight years old know, and i think she will out live both of us,so because of this story, we that's fay my wife and me, will be waiting for our dog together on the rainbow bridge,

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:22 pm

So sorry for your loss Alan. At least he went peacefully surrounded by his 'pack' :D

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:34 pm

Sorry Alan. I think we will shortly discover how you feel. Two of our dogs are well into their teens although you wouldn't think it to look at them.

Just compare the fantastic life you gave him to the wretched existence that some poor creatures experience.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:42 pm

Hilly. :lol: :lol: :lol:

what happened afterwards ? i mean.. did you bury the dog in the garden? or did the vet take care of it ?
Spanish Lad - He was taken by the vet to be cremated and we will get the ashes. We would love to heve buried him in the garden, but he is (was) just too big, and despite the rain, the ground is just too hard to dig that deep.

Thanks for the thoughts folks.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:25 pm

Alan, that is so sad and all of the pet owners on here know how you feel. I will also print and keep the thoughts in the message on here. There is just one question I have. Are the animals better behaved than in their earthly live. We had a cat that bit the little girl next door ( her fauklt as she was teasing him ), chased a Westie up the road and bit his bum, visited a neighbours house one day, their pug dog snuffled at the low down letter box and the cat slammed the letterbox shut on to his nose. He went screaming up and down their stairs. My wife had a visit from the neighbour to complain, told me when I got home, and I thought it was a joke. I called round to the neighbour, apologised on the cat's behalf, told her that he promised not to do it again, but if he did she was to tell me and I would stop his pocket money for a month. It was not a joke and the stupid woman never spoke to us again. I have the feeling that he may not have reached the cat's heaven in the sky, but is in a far warmer place.
My brain works like lightning -one flash and it's gone

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:22 pm

So sorry to read about your loss. Sad times for you but really nice way for the dog to go, at home with Mum.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:42 pm

Yes, been there, done that and not sure I can again.
Bad time for you and your wife Alan, but happy memories of Storm will make you both smile after awhile.
Nice that he enjoyed his last couple of years in La Cala.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:44 pm

Alan-LaCala wrote:
Hilly. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spanish Lad - He was taken by the vet to be cremated and we will get the ashes. We would love to heve buried him in the garden, but he is (was) just too big, and despite the rain, the ground is just too hard to dig that deep.

Thanks for the thoughts folks.

Alan
thanks for the reply, probably wasn't the best time to ask really. do you have any idea of the cost of this procedure ? i'm only asking, because i now know what a human cremation costs in spain ( :( ) and im sure that the information will come in handy to anyone else in the same situation.

i myself have a big dog, and as you say, dont fancy digging a hole that deep or big in this hard ground.

sorry for your loss, its always hard loosing a companion. when we came over, the first year we were here my old jack russel died.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:37 pm

Hi Spanish Lad-
I know the cost of cremating a dog!
My puppy was €40.00 and my friend 14 year old Lab(a big dog)was also €40.00 .My puppy came back in a horrible 80·s style kitchen(coffee,tea and sugar style)pot.with a flip top lid in red and white shiny ceramic(not very nice at all)
But,i thought €40.00 was really cheap,i was expecting €100.00 at least.

daisylulu

Postby daisylulu » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:31 am

Alan

So sorry to hear about Storm, I'm sure you must have lots of wonderful memories of him and i hope these are of some comfort to you at this time xxx

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:09 am

princess peach wrote:Hi Spanish Lad-
I know the cost of cremating a dog!
My puppy was €40.00 and my friend 14 year old Lab(a big dog)was also €40.00 .My puppy came back in a horrible 80·s style kitchen(coffee,tea and sugar style)pot.with a flip top lid in red and white shiny ceramic(not very nice at all)
But,i thought €40.00 was really cheap,i was expecting €100.00 at least.
Do they "guarantee" that you receive back "your" dog's ashes...or is it a bit of a mixture? Like Spanish Lad I'm curious about this for when the time comes...

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:12 am

Actually Spanish Lad, I've just had a bit of a wicked thought..if the cost of dog cremation doesn't seem to change for a big dog/little dog...then if say one's husband/wife were to pop their clogs here and you didn't want the expense of a Spanish burial/cremation or repatriation...you could wrap up the body in a blanket and send it to where they cremate pets, saying it's a BIG dog...40€, job done, ashes back and sprinkled :wink: