Very impressed with the vet tonight

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Very impressed with the vet tonight

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:00 pm

We had to take our pup to the vets tonight- he had a bad ear (turned out to be two bad ears) Our normal vets was closed so we had to go to another. This vet asked for the pups certificate of his injections and his chip id before he treated him. He then gave pup a thorough examination all over and weighed the pup. He looked in pups ears and said the infection was very bad.... the pup had honestly no signs of anything wrong until lunchtime today. I always look in the dogs ears to see they are ok.
The vet cleaned out the ears and took a swab and then gave pup a jab. Pup just stood there and let vet clean out his ears, I think pup actually enjoyed his ears being washed out :lol:

Pup is very big just under 14 kg at 7 months old. His Mum was a terrier type dog, not that big, just a stray who had her pups in the campo. Father unknown. He has just a small amount of biscuit and no other food. If we go out he gets a ´teeth cleaning´ chew nothing else at all. When we got him he was about 6 weeks old and was a real fatso even then, with just his mothers milk.... we think Dad might have been a hippo or a sumo wrestler :lol: He is on a strict diet :shock: Vet said he should be around 9kg.... :roll: If he does get fed anything it is usually a piece of fruit. I think he is just a dog with ´big bones´ :lol:

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:37 am

Nice to hear of a thorough vet. Re the weight though - how does the vet know what your dog should weigh when you have no idea of parentage? I guess the vet's going by size (length/height etc) but even then different breeds are, naturally, such different shapes.
Our Labrador has ear problems and we found after, after extensive tests, that he's allergic to house mites. Nothing we can do about that. The vet tried a course of tablets (VERY expensive, lucky we had him insured) which seemed to ease things marginally but not enough to be worth considering. We just make sure we change his bedding daily, we changed the flooring from carpet to laminate (wanted to do it anyway!) and try to clean his ears and put in the drops the vet gave us, which at least help cool his ears - they feel very warm. But he hates it. Our normally laid back, do anything with him Lab, turns into the most stubborn creature & we only have to mention ears or pick up the drops or cotton wool & he's off. Yet he'll lie there & let our Retriever wash his ears.
Hope your problem is just temporary. Sounds like he's going to be a fun dog for you.