Dog Training Classes?

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
geegee
Resident

Dog Training Classes?

Postby geegee » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:34 am

Has anyone taken their dog to obedience or other training classes and if so how did you get on? Was it tricky/consusing conducted in Spanish? I believe there are some in Malaga somewhere. I have a perro de agua puppy - she is absolutely adorable but in need of some discipline!

Anyone know of or could recommend any trainers or classes? Preferably near Antequera, but we can travel.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:57 am

There are some classes, in English, in Malaga.
I will get you the phone number this evening.
There is an advert in our vet's waiting room.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:02 pm

Hi geegee
Just got back from the vet.

Have a look at http://www.educan.es/

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:41 pm

Marvelous, I certainly will, thanks Gerry!

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:30 pm

Bit of a distance but there's a Saturday morning class at El Ingenio, Velez-Malaga.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:35 am

Hi Marina
Where at El Ingenio at at what time?
Never noticed it when we've been toEroski on a Sat morning.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:00 am

It is on the ground at the back of Burger King. I think they started at 10.30, but can't remember for sure. Somewhere around then.

I took my dogs for a while and it was very good. unfortunately Saturdays didn't work too well for me and I had to stop going.

ChrisA
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ChrisA » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:03 pm

geegee

I am hoping to start up dog training classes in the Mollina area when I get out there. Initially I will probably do private lessons until I can find premises.

Ferry booked for 25th so will be looking to start around the beginning of October.

What do people charge for dog training lessons?

Chris

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:21 pm

The lessons here are 7€. I don't know about private consultations.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:32 pm

I paid 15euros an hour 6 years ago for private. I've no idea if that was the going rate as it was a recommendation so I didn't bother getting any other quotes.

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:53 am

Gerry, have sent a query to the one in Malaga and await reply. Thanks Marina, Velez is probably do-able but would prefer closer if pos.

Chris A, I would definitely be interested in private classes from you as Mollina is much closer. I don't know what others charge but will hopefully soon find out from the malaga place. I assume you are fully qualified? That would make a difference I expect. The only comparison I have is a private riding lesson from a fully qualified instructor here costs 18€ an hour!

ChrisA
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ChrisA » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:12 am

I have no official bits of paper to say I can train a dog but have over 15 years experience and trained under Wendy Volhard in the USA. Ran my own dog training classes here in UK with a friend where we ran beginners, intermediate and advanced classes in three different locations over three nights. Also have worked two of my dogs in obedience competions.

Was thinking of charging between 10 and 15 Euros per hour.

Chris

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:53 am

Hi Chris,

Sign me up immediately!! I am not bothered about bits of paper, experience is everything. The dog in question is a 5-month old Perro de Agua Espanol (Spanish Water Dog) - a curly-haired herding dog and a distant relation of the poodle, but bigger and more solidly built. You might know the breed already as they are exported to the US and UK. She is very lively and intelligent but I need to be able to channel her excess energy and teach her how to be calm and to obey commands. She can sit and stay, retrieve a ball etc., but lead training is proving a challenge and she has very recently taken to chasing cyclists, runners and even the odd car on our walks out on the country tracks and ignores my commands to return - she thinks its all a great game! I need to nip this in the bud asap for her own safety and that of others.

Drop me a PM when you are settled.

ChrisA
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ChrisA » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:56 pm

Gee Gee

Will do. Just looked them up on Google as I knew what an Irish Water Spaniel looked like, they are lovely. Sounds like needs to do some distraction training on and off lead.

Chris

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:59 pm

I would have been intersted too, if you had been closer to this area.

Pink Lady
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pink Lady » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:29 pm

Hi ChrisA, I've just been reading this thread and would also be interested in private lessons. Mollina is a bit too far for me to have regular lessons but maybe a few hour sessions. I have a 5 1/2 month old French Bulldog. He is well-behaved most of the time and learns new things very quickly. He follows me most of the time if I let him off the lead but if he sees another person or dog he goes off to play and says hello and he doesn't come back then when I call him. He has also started pulling on his harness when he sees something exciting so I would like some advice on the best thing to do in that situation. Anyway when your over PM me and hopefully we can arrange something. :D

ChrisA
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ChrisA » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:15 pm

Hi Pink Lady
Will do. At 5 1/2 months just coming into adolescence so just becoming a teenager and you know what they can be like.

Chris

Pink Lady
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pink Lady » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:42 pm

:lol: Great, speak soon.

Stupot
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Dog Training Classes?

Postby Stupot » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:28 pm

The dog training classes at El Ingenio centre are run by the same people that run the classes at Los Boliches - (on a Sunday I think). I have the private telephone number of the instructor, one of two who are both ex Metropolitan Police dog handlers. Anyone wishing to speak with him please pm me with contact details and I shall pass that on to him.

You may find that the owners will need as much training as the dogs!
Stupot

CubaLibre
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Dog Training Classes?

Postby CubaLibre » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:14 am

Hi Geegee have PM number for a trainer. He is very good - ex police dog handler.
Good luck