VET NEEDED URGENTLY

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: VET NEEDED URGENTLY

Postby katy » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:57 am

Phew Dido! thats a relief. When I saw the post I thought it would be something serious. Sounded like a friend's dog. Had recently had pups and when it collapsed was found there was a dead puppy still inside, vet operated but was too late and died of septicemia.

TinaTapas
Resident

Postby TinaTapas » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:44 pm

Just seen this post - Glad that the immediate emergency is over

Things to consider

Sounds like you need to re-assess her diet - She shouldn't be looking skinny. If she's still feeding her pups, she needs an increased amount of calories from good quality dry food, ideally mixed with fresh veg and meat - if you can get some quality nutrition into her, she should be in a good state to feed the pups again, even if the frequency is reduced. Be guided by her, she will let you know if she feels up to it.

Keep your bins/cupboards etc. securely locked - dogs (and especially puppies) will do their utmost to ingest things that they shouldn't, which could have fatal results - Don't mean for this to sound like a lecture, but I've seen too many animals die agonising deaths because their owners didn't take the same precautions that they would if they had a toddler/young child in the house.

You should always be able to get hold of an emergency vet - if you call yours and they're not there, the answerphone should have the contact number of the on-call vet for out of hours emergencies

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:47 pm

Hi everyone thanks for your kind words and advice as always.

Tina she has only looked skinny since yesterday when it all happend, she had defacated and been sick everywhere so maybe she could have had food poisoning which triggered the calcium deficiency? We are feeding her up again with little bits of food every couple of hours. We have been giving her dry biscuits supplemented with liver or kidney every other day (that was the old meat in the bin!) is that right?

We always keep the kitchen door shut which is where the bin is but on that night my husband had to get up in the middle of the night to see to our guest who had been ill and he just forgot to shut the door, not an excuse but understandable I think considering it was 3am!

The problem with the vet was that our vet didn't have an answering machine and I had to go out to collect my children so my husband was ringing all the other vets numbers he could find but couldn't understand the number on the answering machine, he then rang my mum who rang the number and spoke to the emergency on call vet (I think they are all connected so only one on call at a time and he was in Casabermeja!!!) but even though she speaks Spanish he couldn't understand what she was saying (must be the Lancashire accent). When I arrived at my mum's I rang and spoke to him and he told us to go to Leon in Antequera who would meet us there! Why he understood me and not my mum I don't know as her Spanish is much better than mine and miraculously half way through the conversation he could speak English!!!

Anyway it all turned out all right and I just have to make sure Lola and the puppies stay healthy now. I locked Lola out of the room they are in last night and mum and babies seemed to cope alright with that, I expected to be kept awake all night with them yelping but they were lovely and quiet!!

Thanks again for all your advice,

Diana.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:36 pm

I knew it would be the vet Leon, he´s brilliant :D Maybe he will give us discount for advertising how good he is? :D

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:38 pm

Hi Dido, good to hear that she's no longer in immediate danger. I just read on your last post that you are supplementing her biscuits with liver & kidneys. Are these raw? If so, you may be feeding the 2 too close together. It's better to feed raw in the morning and biscuits/canned in the evening as this gives the raw time to get through the system quickly as raw & commercial food are digested at different speeds. The biscuits may be slowing down he digestion of the raw food allowing bacteria to enter the system. Also, here is a breeder's website on this subject which I hope helps http://www.chesapeakes.net/health/eclampsia.html
If you look down to the prevention section, it might be an idea to check the ingredients of her biscuits in case something may be preventing her from using the calcium in her food.

Raw chicken carcasses are an excellent source of calcium and everything else a dog needs. I've also just found out that my local butcher has started selling carcasses for 35c per Kg!!! So, it now only costs me 3 Euros per week to feed my 50kg monster :D :D

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:11 pm

Crazyred, I was always told not to give my dogs chicken bones as they splinter and can choke the dog. Maybe this is an old wives tale, like sitting on a stone surface gives you piles etc!! :lol: My Mum was full of old wives tales :lol:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:04 pm

Olive you are correct...never give them any bones, especially chicken, they are sharp and brittle Some dogs seem to survive, we had a scotch terrier that had to have an operation because of bones. Just ask your vet.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:22 pm

We do not give out dogs any bones, just incase they decide to have a fight over them! The neighbour gives her dogs anything- even off condensed milk one day- made doggy ill :( Ours get fed biscuits in the evening (pup is on a diet, he was getting too fat) so come 8pm they are bashing their dishes for their dinner :lol: They have the occasional doggy treat and the yoghurt pots to lick out, pup sits patiently and waits for a pear core to eat :lol:
Dido, where is the puppy update photo?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:01 pm

We had a dog in the UK who would eat almost anything, carrot peelings, apple cores and melon skin! We have spoilt our dogs with tit-bits. If we have toast they sit near me as I have lots of butter but they never go near my OH as he has flora spread! We have a cat (16 years) who sneaks on one of the dining chairs and sticks her head up now and again although we chase her off if we have visitors. :D

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:57 am

No, you should never give your dog cooked bones as they are brittle and can be sharp.
Raw bones however, are soft and flexible and although we have bred our dogs to look the way they do today we have not changed their inner workings. Their digestive systems remain the same as a wolf or any other wild carnivore. I have fed our 2 year old dog raw food since he was 4 months old. He doesn't do smelly f@rts (caused by too much cereal & grains in commercial food), doesn't have smelly breath (because he is cleaning his teeth at every meal) and is very easy to poop-a-scoop after. The saying 'as fit is a butcher's dog' is a true one and no butcher I knew ever cooked for their dogs, just like the wolves on the mountains don't get saucepans out for their cubs. Many vets agree with feeding this way although notably, not the ones who sell pet food on their premises......

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:33 am

Thanks crazyred I didn't know that, I will ask at my local butcher re the chicken carcass's.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:11 am

What about Salmonella, doesn't it affect animals?

daisylulu

Postby daisylulu » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:04 pm

HI Diana,

Only just seen this post...Lola must have given you quite a scare, good to hear that she's ok....good luck with feeding her up :D

Lou :D

TinaTapas
Resident

Postby TinaTapas » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:37 pm

Hi there, Glad things are so much better :D

Raw food is fine, although because you're not sure if she's had a touch of food poisoning I would err on the side of caution and cook all meat - you can feed her daily with meat/fish, just try to vary the type of protein. Tinned fish such as mackerel are good sources and inexpensive when mixed with good quality dry food - dogs love it too.

I would echo CrazyRed re: chicken bones (in fact all bones unless eaten under supervision) you could use the carcass to make an appetising and nutritious broth however?

I would also suggest (for convalescent dogs) rice puddings (unless she's allegic) basically anything that's appetising, nutritious and will encourage her to eat

It sounds to me as if she's had eclampsia, it can happen soon after whelping - as well as the food make sure you get the supplements into her

Be aware that bitches that have had this condition are much more likely to experience it again with any further litters.

TinaTapas
Resident

Postby TinaTapas » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:44 pm

Sorry, the Beep rhymes with "itches" and denotes a female dog!

Meant to add, I haven't seen your dog so my diagnosis of eclampsia is based on the info provided - it's something that many vets forget to look for when presented with a dog suffering from the symptoms you describe, but it is more common than you would think, with females suffering more frequently.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:03 pm

Well no need to worry as she deinately will not be having any more pups, a trip to the vet is looming along with the puppy that we keep!!!

TinaTapas
Resident

Postby TinaTapas » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:31 pm

I should have guessed as much Dido! :lol:

I hope you didn't think I was having a dig - dogs are ingenious when it comes to eating things they shouldn't - one of my dogs (Spanish rescue with an Attitude) is into everything, I've never known a dog like it.

Glad all is well :D

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:59 pm

No worries Tina I didn't think you were having a dig, I appreciate all your advice. I will from now on treat my many dogs :roll: as children and watch their every move!!!

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:15 pm

Seriously now does anyone want a puppy or 2, you can take them now and I will buy you some puppy milk!!! Anything to give their poor mum a rest!!!

Look how cute they are (please excuse terrible photo's!)

They will be 4 weeks old on Wednesday!

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:29 pm

awww beautiful dido!

Have you thought of putting an advert on segundamano.es ?
It is free for animals, and you can include 4 photos.
Don´t get distracted tho, there are many cute puppies on there....

Karen x
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie