VET NEEDED URGENTLY

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
dido72
Resident

VET NEEDED URGENTLY

Postby dido72 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:48 pm

MY DOG LOLA IS REALLY ILL SHE IS PANTING AND DRIBBLING AND IS HUNCHED OVER, SHE ATE SOME OLD MEAT OUT OF THE BIN SO IT COULD BE FOOD POISONING, WE CANNOT GET HOLD OF A VET, DOES ANYONE HAVE A NUMBER OF A VET IN ANTEQUERA AREA?

PLEASE WE ARE DESPERATE SHE LOOKS LIKE SHE MAY BE DYING.

ADMIN I AM POSTING THIS IN ALL THE FORUMS SO PEOPLE WILL SEE IT MORE QUICKLY, I APOLOGISE

DIANA

antonia
Resident

Re: VET NEEDED URGENTLY

Postby antonia » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:21 pm

Put her in the car and drive her straight to the vets....hope she will be ok, i'm sure she will.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:01 pm

I Googled this one in Antequera.

* C/ Campillo Bajo s/n
* 29200 Antequera
* Tel. 952 703 377
* www.veteritas.com
* contactar
* 10:00-13:30 y 17:00-20:30 Sábados mañanas

Sid

rostrumdiva
Tourist

Postby rostrumdiva » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:37 pm

I really hope she is OK - our own dog was poisoned and recovered- heartfelt best wishes.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:26 pm

Oh Dido,i hope she is going to be o.k,please let us know how she is when you get a minite. :(

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:33 pm

How is Lola? Hope all is well.....its very upsetting

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:25 pm

Thanks guys panic over Lola had a serious calcium deficiency!! The vet said it could easily have killed her as she was going into shock but he gave her a calcium injection and she started to recover straight away, she also has to take calcium tablets for a month!!

It was absolutely terrifying and she just kept looking at us as if to say help me, it broke my heart!!

She is almost back to normal now although she is very subdued and looks really skinny, the vet advised us to keep her away from the puppies for 12 hours a day to let her recover. He said the puppies can have biscuits now as they are 3 weeks and we can slowly wean them off Lola's milk to stop her from being ill again.

It was really difficult as we rang all the vets in the area and there was no answer so my hubby got her in the car and drove round and got some emergency numbers, we eventually got hold of someone and met them at their surgery in Antequera.

Does anyone have any tips on feeding puppies ie calcium rich products to give poor Lola a break, the puppies are so big now and they never leave her alone, they are in a downstairs bedroom so I can shut the door so she can't get to them but I want to make sure that they get the right nutrients too!!

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:37 pm

I'm so glad she is OK.
When we used to wean pups, and it sounds like you need to do it extra quickly for Lola's sake, we used to begin by mixing WEETABIX into powdered pup milk. You can buy the milk powder from a vet and it contains everything they need. By adding the crushed cereal, you get the pups used to taking solids, you can also try scramble eggs, just do it all gradually. If you use tiny biscuits, just soak them in water or powdered milk first.
The pups may be overly hungry because you don't know the quality or amount of milk she is producing, which may be why they are bothering her so much, distressing, for her and them because they may not be satisfiedIf you start feeding them like this you will find they quickly become more content and will stop pestering her and look to you as the milk bar instead.
Good luck.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:39 pm

Thee is a special puppy milk you can get (powder) the neighbour had it for the abandoned pups she found. They soon refused to take it though, in the end she gave them watered down full cream milk. They are now 18 months old.
So glad Lola is ok
:D

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:02 pm

Really pleased to hear it all worked out OK - we have had the same panics with our cats!

Can you post the name of the vet which might help others in a similar situation in your area?

Sid

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:10 pm

hi dido, so glad lola is ok. we had the same scare last year with our dog. it was a sunday and the emergency number transfered us to an unknown clinic 40minutes away!! thankfully we got there in time.

we got our new puppy at 4 weeks old this year, as her mother couldnt feed all 10 puppies!! we gave her the special powdered milk from the vets and she loved it. we then weaned her on to the special tiny biscuits that have the milk in them. She has grown from less than 1kg to 15kg in 6 months...and is continuing to grow at a steady 500g a week! She is very healthy and has not been harmed by being weaned onto puppy milk at such a young age. It is just like a baby really that wont take to the breast :lol: I am sure the puppies will enjoy...but it is not cheap!

Glad lola is ok.

love

karen x
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

ChrisA
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ChrisA » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:56 pm

Hi Di

So glad Lola ok it must have been extremley frightening. I consider myself very lucky with the number of dogs I've owned never to have been faced with such a condition as that. As an aside girls start at school on Monday morning and I believe my youngest daughter will be in the same class as your daughter.

See you there
Chris

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:54 pm

Thanks so much for for all your advice guys, I haven't had chance to get anything special for the pups tonight but I have soaked some of Lola's biscuits in milk and given them some, they were already pinching the dry ones anyway!!! Lola is having the same plus big cuddles!!The door is shut so they can't harrass mummy over night.

Chris that is good news I am pleased they will be in the same class, my daughter, while friends with EVERYONE in her class, has been missing another english girl to gossip with! Plus there are some nasty little boys in the other class who pick on everyone!

PM me with a description of yourself or your girls so I can spot you at school, I have already described myself and my daughter has red hair and is very beautiful (biased who me?).

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:00 pm

I will post the details of the vet who helped us tomorrow, my hubby has the card in the car, he was absolutely fantastic he is Spanish but went to uni in England so his English is really good and he only charged us 30€ for seeing Lola, the calcium injection and a months worth of calcium tablets.....bargain! Highly recommended and some of you will probably recognise him from that description!

Sadie
Resident

Postby Sadie » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:07 pm

Hi Dido, I know how horrible it is to see your pet suffering I lost my doggie who came in contact with a poisonous toad so I am very glad for you that Lola is okay. Good luck with weaning the puppies.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:18 pm

I think I know what vet you mean Dido, trying to think of his name!! Is his office at the back of the pet shop on the right? Leon? If it is him, he is a great vet. Our Chihuahua was very ill once and we took him to ´Leon´, he was excellent then too.
Wish he was closer to us here. Our doggys get car sick so it is too far to go back there for him to treat them :(

Chrissie
Resident

Postby Chrissie » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:17 pm

So glad Lola is OK Diana. What a worry for you all. XX
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:33 am

Im so pleased she is o.k and doing well.
We had a horrible scare last year with my poorly pup,he was chocking on the kitchen floor,he did actually look blue.I just stood there shouting my hubby,he came and gave the dog a huge tight cuddle(as best as i can describe it)with a squeeze and within mins he was back to normal..horrible thing to go thru tho.
So glad all the pups are doing well too...xxx

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:15 am

We had a dog that was choking on a hide bone, it had the knot from it in it´s throat, not nice. I managed, just, to get my fingers into the dogs throat and pull the ´knot´out. We did not buy the hide bones with knots in anymore after that. It was a scary moment!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:52 am

yes oliveview,i had a similar experience with my big dog and those big slimy hide chew bones a few months ago,one of those also got stuck,i struggled to pull it out from his throat as it was covered in white slime,i managed to grab a tight hold and half of the chew came up from his throat :shock:
I dont buy them anymore,shame as they both love them.