my chihuahua

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Scot
Resident

my chihuahua

Postby Scot » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:58 pm

Any ideas what I can do with my chihuahua for Xmas (hey, no funny comments - not considering sage and onion stuffing thanks!). My mother (aged84) has decided she can't make the journey from Scotland and the tinydoghotel in Marbella is full :( What do you do with a tiny boy as he cannot stay outside in the cold with my big dogs who are booked into a kennel. Our lovely lady vet has offered to take him home but she's the only person he's scared of :lol: Also, she has to work and has 2 young children so she would have them all in the surgery together :shock: Any suggestions - perhaps a cattery that is indoors or somewhere warm? Many thanks.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Re: my chihuahua

Postby princess peach » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:04 am

perhaps a cattery that is indoors
are you winding us up?
you would put a DOG in a cattery?
I know its xmas mate,but dont think the cats would be up for that! :lol:

Put your chewowa in with the big dogs,they will keep him warm.He is part of the pack,no matter how small he is.I think it would be horrible being seperated from the gang.He still has fur doesnt he?
He will be fine in with the big guys. :D

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:56 am

PP He loves our cat which is why I thought he might do well in a warm cattery - I'd be worried sick if I put him in with my big dogs as they are together most of the time (have to retrieve him from the throats sometimes!) but when I go out, he is in living room and big dogs together elsewhere. My vet left her german shepherd home alone with her pomeranian few years ago and there was only the big dog alive when she got home so couldn't risk leaving them alone together. I think small dogs need special care and although their small in size, they are a HUGE responsibility. If I need to stay here and not go away then I'm prepared to do so but it's a shame as my OH might be in UK re work commitments and the family will be separated for Xmas for the first time. I read that some people look after dogs in their own home environment and this may be a solution for my chihuahua? Can anyone recommend anyone/anywhere?

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:02 am

Princess Peach, we had a Chihuahua up till January, he was boarded at a place where he lived ´as the family´ the lady took in a Bull Mastiff and our Chihuahua was killed within 2 min of the big dog meeting our dog, so putting a tiny dog in with big dogs isn´t a good idea.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:27 am

:oops: oh dear,sorry,i didnt realise.
I know big dogs bound and play quite rough,but little dogs can be just as dominant if not more dominant than a big dog.
I have never owned a little tiger prawn so i dont have a clue how they are when around big dogs.

My puppy dominates my big 47 kilo dog,I thought perhaps it would work the same way.Suppose it depends on the dogs tho.

Olive,im sorry about your little dog being killed,how terrible,and how irresponsible of the owner taking in something as huge as a bullmastiff,and introducing it to your little dog.I bet you were gutted. :x

Scot,i hope you find a solution for your little doggie.I would ask around,see if someone would take them both into the house while you are away.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:23 pm

Hi Scot, there is a fairly new private dog hotel near me, next to Lauro golf course. I know the owner a little and the couple seem very nice, but I haven't seen their premises as yet. I will pm you their number along with your other request.
I kept my daughter's little Yorkshire terrier with our massive English mastiff for years and it was fine - the yorkie was the bully and used to chase him, nipping is back hocks as he went to see what the bother was outside !
However, I think my mastiff would have easily mistaken a tiny little dog like yours for a cat or rabbit. Sorry about your dog, Olive, that was very sad.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:28 pm

Our Chihuahua was a real character, we were known in our old village by the locals not as the British family but the owners of the little doggy. He would bring back sticks from his walks, well, twigs, but to him they were branches :lol: The Bull Mastiff, from what we know, was there for just a couple of minutes before our dog was killed. We never really did find out for sure what happened, as hubby says it is as well not to know. We still miss him to bits, even though we have now got 2 dogs, once you are owned by a Chihuahua you are smitten :lol: At the vets yesterday (took dog for her rabies shot) there was a tiny Chihuahua, I had a cuddle :D I offered to swop Lola, but the lady didn´t want to swop- don´t know why :roll:

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:11 pm

Scot wrote:PP He loves our cat which is why I thought he might do well in a warm cattery
I dont think any reputable cattery would allow your dog in! He may get on well with your cat...but what about all the other moggies in there!!! All hell would let loose as soon as they smelt your doggie.

A dog kennels is the only way to go, and ensure he has a kennel for himself. Problem sorted. :D

Karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie