Reminder Warning for Pets

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Sadie
Resident

Reminder Warning for Pets

Postby Sadie » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:47 pm

I know a lot of you are aware of this already but for those that don't or are new to Spain who might not be aware of this danger, please keep your dogs and cats away from any toads you might have in your area. Unfortunately I am aware of this danger through personal experience as some of you may remember when my dog died tragically this way in a very short time even with immediate vet treatment. He didn't eat the toad he only breathed in the poison.

More at risk during next few months when the rain brings them out, so be alert if your pet is being curious under bushes and shrubs etc.

A tip that may help a little from vet is, whilst you are on way to vet for help (I know its hard to get a pet to drink on demand) but a sponge soaked in water to rinse the mouth could help.

If this message saves one pet then it is worth posting again.

http://www.practicalspain.com/spanish-reptiles.htm

kexon
Resident

Re: Reminder Warning for Pets

Postby kexon » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:07 am

Good Post and good advice, we get quite a few in our garden in the autumn, luckily we were warned by our previous vet of the dangers of these toads,but I know there will be many dog owners who are not aware,nor are aware of the poisonous caterpillars either.

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:44 pm

Our little dog was sooo lucky last year. We got up in the morning and found a toad sitting in her water bowl. Fortunately she was too scared to approach it but I dread to think what might have happened.
Life is 'ard den you die!

twiggy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby twiggy » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:46 am

I lost my westie in june this year to a toad, it killed her in 15 minutes, not enough time to get her to the emergency vet. I did post warning on this forum.
On my way home late on Saturday evening I saw numerous toads on the road, I think the rain brings them out!