Export Health Certificate for Dog?

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
KatrinaD
Andalucia.com Amigo

Export Health Certificate for Dog?

Postby KatrinaD » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:59 am

Hi, I have seen the following on another web site and am now confused as to what documentation I need in order to bring my dog in to Spain (via car). I have the Pet Passport but will I need this Export Health Cert as well? Can anyone advise? Thanks.

"Certain countries including Spain also require and Export Health Certificate, issued in the UK, to allow your pet to enter the country. It is different from the PETS scheme and your pet may be refused entry if you haven't got the certificate."

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Re: Export Health Certificate for Dog?

Postby Jool » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:26 am

You need a vet to check your dog and confirm it is healthy with no contagious diseases and treat it for ticks and fleas so it does not carry any of those into Spain. The vet then issues a certificate saying the dog is fit for export!

Its years since we did it but I think it now needs to be done no more than 48 hours before you depart the UK. The DEFRA site or your local vet should be able to tell you.

Jennifer
Resident

Postby Jennifer » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:58 am

Hi KatrinaD,
Are you keeping your dog in Spain ie. Exporting ?
Best to check on the DEFRA site
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarant ... /docqa.htm

Some more info

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... DG_4000019

From the reading it seems less hassel to come out of UK than take your dog back.
The worming and tick treatment is for going to UK ?

Just seen some info that if the UK vet has given a Rabis booster and put the two year valid date this still needs a yearly booster in Spain..will have to check this out as one of my Sibs has just been done in UK.

To export a pet rabbit I had to get form from Spainish Embassy web site and get vet to sign it when examination done prior to travel.

Check any entries your vet puts in the Passport and any other paper work as they seem to have a problem getting it right :oops: Then check again !!! :evil:

I'll PM you with an article that might be of interest.

J
Last edited by Jennifer on Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

KatrinaD
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby KatrinaD » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:17 am

Thanks for your replies. In answer to your question Jennifer, no, this is not a permanent move so not 'exporting' as such.

I think I will err on the side of caution and take the Daisy Dog to the vet prior to travel, as per Jool's suggestion. I find it all a bit confusing though as there seems to be so much conflicting information out there and neither our vet nor the DEFRA site seem able to provide definitive info for entry into Spain. Hey ho!

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:43 am

We had to have our dog vet checked and provided with a certificate saying he was healthy and had been treated for fleas and ticks by that vet........and the health certificate is the document referred to below by Jennifer that is basically a certificate of health on leaving the UK - always best for a dog to have an MOT before a long journey anyway. We did not need a form from the Spanish Embassy but perhaps things have changed. Why not phone a vet in Dover or Folkestone or Plymouth who are used to animal transport and see what they say?

Jennifer
Resident

Postby Jennifer » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:16 pm

Hi KatrinaD,
As I read it , if its "holiday" not a permanent export then Pets Passport is the main document.
It can be a bit tricky if you catch a Monday Ferry from Santander and travel up from Southern Andalucia to comply with the 24-48 hour worming /tick treatment, the "time" is when you get to the port ready for embarkation. ie. if the ferry is 16:00hrs Monday the treatment must be after 16:00hrs Saturday to 16:00hrs Sunday :!:
Have a look thru the Animal Forum to see what other nasties can be found out here in Andalucia :cry:
When you go for pre-travel checkup ensure the vet reads the microchip ok, my two Sibs are for ever getting each other round the neck when they play together and I wonder if the chip will still read. :?

Have a good trip.

J

KatrinaD
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby KatrinaD » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:52 pm

Hi Both, Thank you so much for all your help and advice on this. Doggy has been booked in to the Vet the day prior to travel for administration of tick, flea and worm treatments, plus the general 'fit for travel' health check. The Pet Passport will then be updated and signed by the Vet for each of these.

As this isn't a permanent move we don't require the full export documentation from DEFRA, just the Passport. Also, I'm told that Spain does not require the separate Animal Health Certificate form (from the Spanish Embassy web site - Instruccion 7/2007) for dogs, cats and ferrets - only for birds, reptiles, primates and any other species.

Thanks again :o)

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:12 pm

I can only quote our experience.
When we moved from UK to Spain we drove over, via ferry. Had all the correct paperwork forour dog and bird. Tried to show it when entering France, nobody interested. Just waved through at Spanish border. When we drove back to the UK, with the dog, his paperwork was inspected by UK officials before we where allowed on the ferry.
Coming back a total lack of interest in his paperwork.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

KatrinaD
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby KatrinaD » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:11 am

Hi Gerry, I have to laugh but thanks for the reassurance :) Just out of interest, did your dog's paperwork involve anything other than the Pet Passport?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:04 am

Hi Katrina
We had an export licence for the dog.
Our cage bird needed one as well. Defra only seem to have forms for exporting flocks of birds. We were told to just fill in what we thought was appropriate. After filling in our names and destination there wasn't much else that seemed relevant.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris