Theft of pedigree dogs

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Theft of pedigree dogs

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:15 pm

A word of warning to owners of pedigree dogs.

A Spanish friend recently had two pedigree breeding dogs stolen from his home in Coín. Everyone in the town is aware of the identities of the people responsible but upon reporting the incident to the Guardia Civil he was greeted with howls of laughter and the shrugging of shoulders.

This story has an more worrying aspect which even I am reluctant to document in a public forum and which would no doubt be censored within a very short period of time.
Let's go Brandon!

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Re: Theft of pedigree dogs

Postby Jool » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:13 am

When are the guardia civil and policia local going to take the laws re animal health and simple theft seriously? They are quick enough to inspect kennels thinking there is money in it for minor infractions but for something serious they don´t want to know.....a midway meeting point between them and over zealous UK (official guidance now for owners on providing stimulation and stress release to cats and dogs owners.....)

Any chance a documentary maker may be interested in this story - an animal story and a swipe at Spain in one fell swoop...........perhaps then the spanish police would realise it does matter......and not just to us brits either......

On another note so many people report the GC are incredibly slow in responding to un-glamorous style robberies........

Pink Lady
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pink Lady » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:03 pm

I have unfortunately heard of these horrible crimes many times before. The breeder we bought our puppy from was very cagey about exactly where they lived until they felt we were genuine and could be trusted for this very reason. I really hope times move on here soon regarding cruelty to animals, I don't know how many more times I can take that sick feeling in my stomach when I see the awful treatment and suffering of animals here - give me the over zealous UK laws any day! A documentary could kick start some changes Jool your right, you never know the right person might read this forum. I was told a shocking story the other day of a local vet who punched one of his clients dogs in the head after it bit him when he was trying to inject him, surely this comes with the job, I thought vets were supposed to like and understand animals!!!

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:58 pm

We always lock our gate, when we are out and at night time, just incase the doggies get snatched...... who in their right mind would want our pup though I ask myself???? Not that they are pedigrees. We used to have a Chihuahua and I was very aware of the danger we faced of him being stolen if we left him alone in the garden, so he was never left in the garden if we went out.
Yesterday on teh way back from Gib I lost count of the number of cats dead in the road and the number of dogs just walking along in the middle of no-where. Even today we saw 2 dead cats on the way home. A while ago there was a dead ´Lassie´ dog at the side of the road, we saw a council van stop at the body, we thought he was going to take the dog away, he just left him there where the dog rotted away. :(