if you love your dog....

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Miro
Andalucia Guru

if you love your dog....

Postby Miro » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:59 pm

.......please, please, keep it on a leash at all times.
This afternoon, I witnessed something I hope never to see again. I apologise if it upsets anyone, but I cannot get it out of my head and feel the need to warn others of the folly of not restraining a dog properly.
A young dog ran into the road while trying to play with a couple of other dogs (on leads) that were waiting to cross the road. It ran straight into the path of a moving car and was crushed under a wheel. The owner of the poor pup was walking nearby - the dog obviously was not on a lead.
The owner did not even seem particularly shocked or upset. In my mind, his actions were tantamount to pushing a young child into moving traffic. He should certainly not be permitted to own an animal.
Anybody who believes they have complete control over their dog and do not need to use a lead, are arrogant, stupid and cruel.
So please, if you own a dog, be responsible and keep it on a leash.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Re: if you love your dog....

Postby princess peach » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:17 am

Oh how horrible for you to have to witness that!The stupid Man.
I keep both my dogs on leads at all times no matter what.Even when they are in the garden,i am in there too.they are never in there alone,incase they should ever get out.
How really awful.
I saw a cat get run over once and that lived with me for ages,it didnt die and was writhing around in the road in agony.I couldnt do anything,and was quite relieved when eventually it stopped moving.Poor you.xxx :(

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:00 am

I was walking through the town last summer and a man in front of me had his little dog walking behind him, the dog stepped into the road and the car coming along missed him by inches, the driver had to do an emergency stop, the dog was so lucky. The owner just shrugged his shoulders and walked on with the dog still behind him.
We were going to the beach one day and saw a lady with a dog that had been knocked down, the dog wasn´t dead but you could see it was seriously injured. It wasn´t a sight I´d like to ever witness again. I´d never let our dogs out without a lead, walking through the campo you never know when you will see a hare and the dogs take off after it.
If we had 5€ for every dog we see roaming we would be rich. I was out driving last Wednesday and saw what looked like a Chihuahua sized dog dead at the side of the road, I wanted to stop and move it so it didn´t get mangled by lorries, but the dog was on a danerous bend in the road and the sun was at the nasty ´in your eyes´ height so it was too dangerous for me to go and move it.

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:58 am

terrible stuff this,i wouldnt ever want to have seen what you saw miro

around here its mainly the spanish and tramps that do it but new by-laws are changing their attitude
i have seen a few near misses with dogs and traffic,makes me shudder and one of my jack russels regulary try to get to and bite loose dogs that come up to him(my two are always on a lead i might add)
on 3 occasions he has defended himself,the owners have tried to have ago at me like it was my fault :? for having a vicious dog

luckily on these occasions,im angrier than the dog

i would like to add that i dont agree with my dogs behavior but we got them both at the age of 7(them not me) really soppy with us but even 4 years later,one does have a mean streak when on a lead and my eyes are not everywhere,especially on fuengirola sea front in the summer when they stray to the beach(my eyes not the dogs)

ill get me coat
jayne countys most famous song,google it

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:23 pm

Don´t start me on the amount of doggy poo on the pavements too :x Our neighbour thinks it is bad to have dogs poo on the pavements but thinks nothing of throwing rubbish down, double standards I think :x I was at the bakers van last week and the neighbour came out with his list, once the baker had seen it the neighbour threw his list down onto the ground, I picked it up put it in his overall pocket and told him not to do it again, I was fed up with picking up his rubbish. He just laughed. We took him to Gib one day, he threw down his cigerette carton, OH picked it up and told him not to do it, he then a little later threw down a sweet wrapper..... he will never learn. :x He sits in his patio in the summer and throws rubbish over into the olive grove, then wonders why there are rats? :x Yet inside their house and his garage it is spotless :(