Rabies test

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Pink Lady
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Rabies test

Postby Pink Lady » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:04 pm

Antonia what area do you live in? Maybe your vet is an authorised vet but if they were I should think they would be aware of the fact that the blood should have been sent to Granada. My vet is a registered vet but not an authorised vet for this purpose hence I am having to go to an office in Velez-Malaga.

antonia
Resident

Postby antonia » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:09 pm

Hi Pink Lady, i am in the Cadiz province. I think my best idea is that i drive over to them tomorrow and gets all the facts straight. Thanks for all your help, i really appreciate it.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:16 pm

When the same thing happened to me I looked on the approved list, chose the approved lab in Scotland, (Bio something) downloaded the forms, took dog back to vet had blood drawn, vet has to put blood in centrifuge to separate serum, went straight to post office and sent to Scotland, cost of test is around 30 Euros. They turned round the test in just 5 days.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Pink Lady
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pink Lady » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:18 pm

Just had a look at the map my vet drew for me and she has written the name of the office I have to go to to get the passport signed/stamped, it is called Oficina Comarcal Agraria.

antonia
Resident

Postby antonia » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:07 pm

Bongtrees, did you send it from Spain to Scotland? Sounds like a good plan to me.

Jennifer
Resident

Postby Jennifer » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:11 pm

Hi Pink Lady,
Now I'm getting confused :?
Are you saying your vet can't fill in the Blue Pets Passport and sign and stamp it ?
Ok just reread your post, guess the two vets I've used here are authorised as they completed the Passport without me having to go to any futher offices.
The Pets Passport is the only document the UK Border control check.

J
Last edited by Jennifer on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:12 pm

antonia wrote:Bongtrees, did you send it from Spain to Scotland? Sounds like a good plan to me.

yes I sent it from Spain ........ the web site is http://www.biobest.co.uk.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Pink Lady
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pink Lady » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:54 pm

M normal vet completed most of the passport but as the list below from DEFRA website shows, there are two parts that have to be completed by an offical vet:

7. Passport sections:
Sections I-III: can be completed by practice support staff or veterinarian. The owner may affix the photograph in Section II
Section IV: the first two boxes can be completed by a practice veterinarian. The final box (authorised veterinarian) must be completed by a Panel 2 Official Veterinarian (LVI)
Section V: must be completed by a Panel 2 Official Veterinarian
Section VI: can be completed by a practice veterinarian
Section VII: can be completed by a practice veterinarian
Section VIII: can be completed by a practice veterinarian
Section IX: can be completed by a practice veterinarian

antonia
Resident

Postby antonia » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:10 pm

Hi Bongtrees, thanks for the link, have had a look at it and seems a qiucker route to go down.

Pink Lady, thanks for the info, i also found it on the Defra website and have printed it off. Going to the vets tomorrow armed with loads of info :?

Pink Lady
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pink Lady » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:19 pm

Good luck, I'm sure it will all work out in the end x

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:48 pm

Glad this came up here! Our dogs are due to be tested for the rabies soon. One was tested last year and the result came back as negative so she has had 2 more shots and is due to be re-tested- so she should have enough anti-bodies going about her now :lol:
I´d never realised there was a special place/vet to sort things. I´ve just checked our other dogs rabies check forms and they were sent to Sante Fe and there is another piece of paper rubber stamped by Junta de Andalucia, Consejeria de Agricultura y Pesca We had thought our Chihahua was covered for the pet passport- but maybe he wasn´t. (He was killed so we never found out)
I had thought that once the test comes back ok you could travel straight away- just as well I´ve found out it isn´t the case, not that we are intending to go back, but you never know if something pops up.
Just looked at the page in the passport that states that the blood test was done at an approved lab and it is signed and rubber stamped Junta de Andalucia- so he must have had the full passport ok.
It is so confusing!!
The local vet we went to had not a clue about the passport- I asked for the rabies treatment to be listed on the passport or the green booklet but the vet wouldn´t do that- said the batch number wasn´t needed! :shock:
Got to get a bank loan for the vets fees I think :( 2 dogs, 2 lots of booster shots and 2 blood tests. Oh well, at least they are good company :)

antonia
Resident

Postby antonia » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:23 am

Oliveview01, i'm so glad your dogs are ok in case the need arrises for you to return to the UK for any reason, yes it does get complicated, but once you understand it all it's quite simple..says she who has got it all wrong and is returning to the UK. Dogs are such good company although we lost our old lady last Dec at the grand old age of 17 and we still miss her, even though she could hardly see, hear or walk, she knew when we were talking about her.

antonia
Resident

Postby antonia » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:33 am

OK an update. She wouldn't give me an answer on whether they are an approved vets to use, basically if i didn't trust her then not to talk to her, she said they do it all the time for people sending dogs to the UK and the stamp that they use is a recognised one :roll: I asked if they could take a sample of blood for me to send off to Scotland via the route Bongtrees suggested and said it would cost me 90E and 5 mins later backtracked and thay couldn't take one for me. To round off a bad situation i had mistakingly left the passport at the vets last time and it is now all stamped and signed, but obviously inncorrect. I was a cool cucumber all this time and very polite, but she asked me to leave, and said i didn't trust them :roll: So back to square one, i did pop into 3 vets on the way home and none of them would take a blood sample for me and none of them are approved to stamp the passport...uuurgh.

Pink Lady
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pink Lady » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:43 pm

What a nightmare Antonia, I really don't understand what your vet is being so defensive about, if she did her homework she'd realise that it's nothing personal !! Maybe you can search for an 'oficina de comarcal agraria' in Cadiz province, maybe they can recommend a vet. The Scotland option is good in that you get the results quick but you still have to wait 6 months from the date of the blood, maybe it would be easier to get it all dealt with by one vet here.

Pink Lady
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pink Lady » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:48 pm

http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/agricult ... COMARCALES

I don't know where in Cadiz you are but this link gives you all the offices in Cadiz province, hopefully you are near one.

antonia
Resident

Postby antonia » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:58 pm

Oh Pink Lady, what a star you are. I looked on the link and there are 2 near to us, Jerez and Medina. I will go tomorrow to see if they can help me. Many thanks once again.

Pink Lady
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pink Lady » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:14 pm

I'm sure they will point you in the right direction. I know the one I am going to has a vet clinic next door because my vet used to work there. I would imagine the office is where people get fishing and hunting licenses from e.t.c. Good Luck.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:18 pm

antonia wrote:
she asked me to leave, and said i didn't trust them :roll: So back to square one, i did pop into 3 vets on the way home and none of them would take a blood sample for me and none of them are approved to stamp the passport...uuurgh.
My experience with Spanish is less is more and never appear to know more than a professional.

Therefore all you need to do is ask a vet to take the blood sample and centrifuge it, takes 1 minute or so to do. You complete the form to send it to Scotland, dont ask them to do anything, copy your vets details and squiggle a signature if needed nobody in Scotland knows your vets signature, when it comes back take the passport and the certificate to an approved vet and get an extra stamp next to the one your vet did.

antonia
Resident

Postby antonia » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:33 pm

Bongtrees, thanks for that info...i don't know why the 3 today wouldn't take one for me.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:21 pm

Being totally confused (or even thick!) is this correct?

1. Go to the vet and ask for a rabies blood test and MAKE SURE they send it to the office at Santa Fe (take the address with us!)

2. When the results hopefully this time come back positive we then go to the Oficina Comarcal Agaria de where ever your closest office is (Marchena) with the form and the passport and get the form/passport stamped

3. 6 months later we can take doggies on their holidays back to the UK- is that 6 months after the date the blood test was taken or 6 months from the date the result comes back and the 2nd form signed by the Agairia folk?

Also make sure the vet puts the info for the rabies etc shots in the passport book- using the ´stickers´ from the injections.

Have I got it right this time?