nearest animal shelter please ?

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
anis
Resident

nearest animal shelter please ?

Postby anis » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:08 pm

A collie type, tall, male dog with a broken chain around his neck has camped outside our gate for the past three days and nights and he is in a very poorly state, thin over the haunches, covered in ticks and his eye is infected and weeping.
He heard my dogs in the garden and can see them through the gate and they all kept crying softly to each other. My lady dog is spayed so he's not staying for her sake. I have had to keep my two indoors and drive them out for a walk so he hasn't seen them for 2 days.
We relented ( I know that sounds cruel but we cannot take him in ) and fed and watered him today because he looks so ill, lying under the car for shade. Now that we have done that, I know he will never go away but we cannot sit and watch him die. He is a kind and docile animal, grateful for anything.
We are very concerned and it is upsetting us all.
We have had strays hang around before but not like this, for so long and not in his poorly condition. We have always managed to shoo them away until now.
I can't take him in because I already have two dogs and cannot fit any more in with our business.
Please, can anyone tell me the nearest shelter that might take him in ? We don't know what to do....

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Re: nearest animal shelter please ?

Postby princess peach » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:47 pm

Anis,phone your vet and explain to them.the dog sounds like he needs vet treatment.you wont be charged for it,but it the vet is caring towards animals(which they should be) they will sort the dog out and then phone the shelter when he is better.
Please do it asap,he doesnt sound in very good condition.
keep us updated too please :(

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:56 pm

Thankyou so much PP, why we couldn't think of that I don't know. I have just called her and she said to call Al Paraiso or something. I don't know what that is but will find out.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:36 pm

I couldn't find out anything about al paraiso on the net so we rang our vet back to make sure it wasn't some sort of government slaughter house.
She says sometimes they don't hold them for very long.
We have made an appointment for him tomorrow morning to see if the vet can do anything for him. He looks a little brighter now after we have given him two small bowls of good quality dog biscuits and gravy a few hours apart. I don't want to make him sick because I don't know how long he has been without food.
He is so sweet, he licked my hand very gently to say thankyou when I had fed him, a lovable, tall gangly fellow. I must admit, I had to wash my hand after - he is very yucky, poor thing.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:34 pm

I am sorry to say it and pressure you more but animal shelters give the dogs 7 days at most and one in this condition will simply be put down immediately.......there are just too many of them and no funds to care for them. The police and Guardia don´t seem to care about animals and will not enforce existing laws........

Can you wash him and de-flea and de-tick him? Do you know anyone who can foster him in their garden? Poor little mite.........we could easily go bankrupt looking after all our dogs now and we only arrived with one, now its 4.............but he sounds as though he deserves a chance of a few weeks of happiness and love at least.........

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:52 pm

That's what we are concerned about, Jool, that they will put him down, straight away, without a chance. This is why we called her back.
We will have to pay his vet bill, I think. Who knows, he may get better ? I don't think he has leishmanosis ( can't spell it ) but she will know or if he is too ill, at least he can be euthanised painlessly tomorrow. If it's just starvation and neglect, maybe we can fix that. He looks like some sort of shepherd dog ?
Thanks again, PP, at least we feel happier now we are trying to do something.

crazydiamond
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby crazydiamond » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:46 pm

Hi, there is a rescue shelter in Torremolinos, details on www.parqueanimal.com they may be able to help. There are also rescue centres in and around Alhaurin el Grande. Hopefully the vet will advise you and he can have a chance of being rehomed, good luck!

lucy locket
Resident

Postby lucy locket » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:12 pm

The rescue centre you mention only keep them 7 days then they destroy them.
I have de ticked plenty of dogs and found homes for them, he must be so uncomfortable with all those ticks, I had one under my arm once and it really hurt.

We went to el paraiso once looking for a lost dog it was so upsetting, loads of dogs in big cages waiting for their last day. He may not be a pedigree but I bet he is a lovely dog.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:29 pm

We have removed the ticks near his eye and he seems more comfortable but he won't let us wash him. I don't want to scare him because he let me put a collar on him, then baulked at the hose water just on his paws. The chain will need to be hacksawed off but it's not hurting his throat. Will try and sponge him instead tomorrow. He doesn't know us and had never been in the garden before until just now, but followed us happily.

Lucy, I had a feeling that would happen and he isn't the most presentable of animals, so he wouldn't stand a chance in his present state, even if he turns out to be nominally healthy.
We won't abandon him - will keep you posted. Sometimes, you just get a feeling a dog for a certain dog. My dogs like him already, so I hope we get some good news tomorrow.
Thanks for the address, crazydiamond.

avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:26 pm

I've sent you a PM.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:54 am

aww anis youre so sweet taking care of him. :(
Im disgusted in the fact that your stray dog treatment isnt free,this shows not only that its a business(which of course it is)but it also shows to me they dont really have any heart for the animals either which i think is really sad.
I have a lovely vet who we got to know personally due to our weekly visits a year or two ago,when i had my very sick puppy.He told me that if someone couldnt pay for THEIR sick animal,he would do it for free(i dont suppose he advertises that fact).I also know he would treat any strays that needed vetinary care for nothing too.
I would do the same in your position Anis,i couldnt abandon it either.
I wouldnt put the hose on the dog again,lots of pups dont like it..maybe sponging him down would be the best option for him and you.keep up with the dog meat and biscuits,and maybe if you feel like it a bit of chicken and rice :D

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:09 pm

Many thanks for the pm, Avellana.

Good news, Benji will be OK, just malnourished, tick and lice infested but his eyes are alright, just an infection, no ulceration. No chip and very young, about 14 months max., not castrated, and his poor gums are nearly as white as his teeth, so that is down to malnutrition too, I guess.
He is at home again with us now, resting, having been well medicated and has made friends with my two plus feral cat and is staying for the duration unless someone claims him.

We will build a run and kennel which will get rid of my business problem. He is an outside dog anyway so that will be OK. My guests are delighted we took him in and think he is lovely, so that made us feel less guilty about them.

He looks a bit better already but is quite weak. The vet was nice and only charged half. He will clean up beautifully once his coat and eyes improves and will be a handsome boy one day.

I itch all over !! :lol: :lol:

Chicken and rice is on the menu tonight, PP, and thanks again all. :D

K chameleon
Resident

Postby K chameleon » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:17 pm

Congratulations Anis, on your new arrival :D
Sounds like Benji's a lucky fella.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:50 pm

Oh Brill!!!
Benji,aww...youve named him too..looks to me like he will be with you for a good while.. 8)
youre making me scratch just thinking about fleas and ticks. :shock:
good for you for getting him treatment,and nice of your vet for only charging you half.
im really pleased.xxxxpost a pic if you can...will be nice see a picture of him.xxx

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:50 pm

An A.com award on it's way to you :wink: well done!

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:12 pm

Thankyou both but it wasn't a difficult choice, how could anyone resist that face ? He;s looking better by the hour now.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:13 pm

oops, made a boo boo with the picture, sorry.

lucy locket
Resident

Postby lucy locket » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:42 pm

Anis, I am so happy you have kept him, you must be a very nice person :D

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:15 pm

Oh Anis, well done you, lucky Benji............I am sure he will repay you with a lot of love...........I never use the hose on dogs as they hate it but they don´t mind the bathroom shower....perhaps you could use that.........

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:07 pm

aww.that half of him looks adorable... :lol:
he looks like he has some husky in him...hes not at all how i imagined him..I thought he would be some grotty looking, shaggy dull coated mongrel..hes beautiful.
im really happy you took him in...xxxx