nearest animal shelter please ?

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
crazydiamond
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: nearest animal shelter please ?

Postby crazydiamond » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:46 pm

That's fantastic news anis, looking forward to seeing more photos of Benji, he looks adorable!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:18 am

Hi Anis
Glad to see the dog will have a happy loife and home.

To everybody else:-
Not all animal shelters are the same.
The "official" ones run by the local authorities, or funded by them, only keep a dog for one or two weeks before it is put down unless it has be claimed or rehomed.
The others, run by volunteers are different.
The organisation I belong to never put a healthy animal down or even unhealthy ones if they can be treated and saved. If it cannot be rehomed it will live at our refuge.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:38 pm

None of the caring ones around our way have any space, all are refusing to take more in as they over full already and seriously lacking funds, so perhaps everyone moved by Benji´s story could donate some goods, money or time to help their local caring refuge?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:35 pm

just so you can see better .. and well done anis for taking the poor doggie in x we´ve ended up with 5 like this :(

Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:26 pm

:shock: doesnt quite look so husky looking now i can see the complete face...hes lovely tho.looks a bit german shepardy.. :D

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Well done Anis.
The shelter that i work in when in Spain never puts a healthy dog down,only those that are beyond help and for their own good.
Money always seems to be found,volunteers ditto.
Most helpers are either English , Dutch or Belgian,Spanish compassion is sadly lacking.
Anyway,well done you,i'm sure your new best friend won't disappoint

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:58 pm

Thanks, Spanish Lad, for fixing the picture.

You can see more of his collie look when you see him side on, he's black and white. His infected right eye is responding very well to the drops now, he is quite content now and has some energy back at last.
I think the vet put me in touch with the wrong shelter but he is welcome to stay here because he isn't any trouble at all and is only a little younger than our boxer cross. She is tired out :lol: :lol: from playing with him today, so it is good for her too and might get rid of some of her excesses.

My OH wouldn't part with him unless someone comes looking for the dog. From the state of his coat, he's been on the run a long time now.
I shall post another picture in a few weeks when he's looking smart.
I think I should get a blood test for leishmaniosis ? I forgot to ask the vet to do that.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:26 pm

Jool wrote:None of the caring ones around our way have any space, all are refusing to take more in as they over full already and seriously lacking funds, so perhaps everyone moved by Benji´s story could donate some goods, money or time to help their local caring refuge?
We aren't too badly off for money, although more is always welcome. :D What we seriously lack is people to help.
Anybody living in the Rincon de la Victoria area who has even a hour or two a week to help will be most welcome.
PM me for more details or to volunteer
Cheers
Gerry
www.apariv.org
Gerry Harris

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:45 am

one lucky dog,brought a tear to my eye,well done
jayne countys most famous song,google it

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:30 am

Well done Anis - what a kind person you are :D I have a tear in my eye too but a happy one!

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:05 pm

Many thanks for your kind comments but it really wasn't that hard, he's a lovely fellow and very grateful.

He is doing extremely well and we managed to bathe him yesterday. Took Jool's advice and tried the shower but I don't think he's ever been washed before, so he was scared again.
We gave him an outdoor sponge bath in warm water and he enjoyed that immensely in the end.
He is proudly wearing his new scalibor collar and has stopped itching - so have I :lol: and smells good.

Whilst on the subject, I have to recommend the power of EXSPOT capsules to any other dog owners.
Until you treat a dog in that condition, I don't think you realise just how effective it is. Well, I didn't anyway.
Our dogs have always been clean because we treat them every year so I couldn't see just how good it was.
Not only did all the fleas etc drop off almost instantly, all the ticks decided to vacate voluntarily over the next two days, probably better than us trying to pull them out. This is why she didn't want us to wash him for a couple of days, to let the treatment take its course.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:39 pm

anis,are you going to chip him?
i'd hate for some scumbag to turn up and try to claim him after all your kindness.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:51 pm

Yes, Nimrod, we are waiting to get him chipped, probably in a week, allowing a decent time gap. The vet said she would be more than happy to do it then and advised it for the same reason you gave. Another passport to get too, he's part of the package now :lol:

We will have him neutered as soon as he is strong enough and settled, though it may prove to be a problem with the "one" that hasn't dropped ? He doesn't *beep* his leg like normal males of similar age. If there is a difficulty on that account, he should still be OK because he is totally secured within 10 foot fences and our girl has had her op.
He gets upset if you open the main gates to go out and slinks back into the garden, probably thinking we are going to ask him to leave, poor thing, so not much worry about him escaping at the moment, though that could change I suppose.
It will take time, but we already have his trust, so it can only get better.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:59 pm

Well done!
You know what goes around, comes around,so you're in for some luck.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:35 pm

Lucky him, sorry shower did not work......it is so heart breaking when you first meet them but then after a few months they are like a different dog.........

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:47 am

What a fab person you are Anis!!! He's a lucky boy to have camped outside your gate :D There are several dogs around here that I would take in if I wasn't living in an apartment with an already huge beast!!

With regards to the leg cocking, it does take a while with some dogs. Maybe he hasn't yet got the strength to balance on 3 legs? He's a lovely looking boy! Definately a shepherd mix I'd say.

Please keep us updated on his progress. :D

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:07 pm

I very rarely come onto the Animals and Pets forum, but I'm so glad I did! Benji's story has got me welling up - you are so lovely, Anis, I will keep popping in for news of Benji. xx

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:50 pm

What a lovely story! :D Well done anis, I'm sure you will be paid back in devotion from your new boy :D

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:52 pm

What a lovely ending. That is one very lucky dog to have found you. :)

tabbycats

Postby tabbycats » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:16 am

Very well done to you for taking Benji in He looks a lovely boy-He will love you forever :D