dumped dogs

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Campo Gill
Andalucia.com Amigo

dumped dogs

Postby Campo Gill » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:15 am

another 2 dogs dumped in our village!!!!
why do ex pats dump their poor dogs when they go back to the uk??????? why do they claim they found good homes for them! i am fed up seeing starving depressed looking dogs roaming the place and it makes my heart ache!! spain maybe didnt work out for you but the poor animals didnt deserve it not to work out for them!!! surely you could have scraped together a few euros and taken it to one of the many dog homes, or the the vet to be humanely put down, instead of a slow death of starvation and anaemia due to the many ticks!!! if getting a dog was made on the same whim as making the good life in spain then no wonder it didnt work out!!!
my only consolation is, what goes round comes around and hope one day you end up being dumped by your kids in the worst nursing home in the uk and end up lying in your own excrement for days, begging for help and comfort!! TOUGH!!!!

lucy locket
Resident

Re: dumped dogs

Postby lucy locket » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:30 am

I also think its awful, many brits come here and end up with up to ten dogs. But as I have posted before
going back to the uk and having to rent many landlords wont take dogs. Many dog shelters are not
taking any more dogs so Ive been told.
People should wait and see if they can survive here before they take on loads of dogs.
But the uk seems to have a problem at the moment with dumped dogs, maybe we are not such animal lovers anymore :(

TinaTapas
Resident

Postby TinaTapas » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:24 am

I completely agree - unless you can find a permanent home then the kindest thing is to have your dogs put to sleep. Many on here would disagree, but I wonder how in touch they are with the real world as far as this problem is concerned.

Even with shelters (I am referring to shelters not the pounds/concentration camps that the Spanish authorities run) domesticated dogs tend to get stressed and institutionalised - making re-homing even harder.

Are you sure that it's Brits who have abandoned these dogs? Plenty of Spanish like "giving their dogs their freedom" at the end of their working life as a hunting dog (that's if they don't hang it or shoot it etc.) or simply chuck them out if they become too big/aggressive/expensive/ill.

Of course wandering around without food or shelter is wonderful for these animals, all those lovely cars to play dodge with. :cry:

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:34 am

If they enforced the dog ID microchip system then owners would know they have to be responsible.....
I do know of a case where the owners of a dog left over here were traced in the UK and fined.....but it does not happen often enough.........and so many people are suckered in to taking an abandoned puppy without really thinking through the 15 year or so lifelong commitment it is if you are truly going to be a responsible owner.

TinaTapas
Resident

Postby TinaTapas » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:40 am

Completely true Jool, but can you see the Spanish actually enforcing it? Without exception our Spanish neighbours dogs are without chip or rabies vacs......in the town it is different as you're more likely to be stopped and checked

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:48 am

another 2 dogs dumped in our village!!!!
why do ex pats dump their poor dogs when they go back to the uk???????
Just curious but how do you know the two dogs were dumped by ex-pats returning to the UK?

Campo Gill
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Campo Gill » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:14 pm

because i know the village dogs who belong to the spanish. know the dogs who belong to the brits..they are new and looked well looked after.....spanish dogs look different!! been here 6 years..its easy to tell the dumped dogs from the spanish owned....you will learn

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:39 am

because i know the village dogs who belong to the spanish. know the dogs who belong to the brits..they are new and looked well looked after.....spanish dogs look different!! been here 6 years..its easy to tell the dumped dogs from the spanish owned....you will learn
I´m impressed by your local knowledge! Only been here 5 years and don´t know one dog from another. Maybe I´ll learn a lot in the next 12 months. :shock:

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:33 am

well its a good point tho,many brits do dump their dogs,you cant get away from that fact,the idiots move here,lose all their money and crawl back,pets are the first to go,im sure kids get abandoned to sometimes
jayne countys most famous song,google it

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:55 am

To check if a dog is an 'ex-pat' dog, just say 'sit' and see what happens!!

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:04 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:51 am

Laslomas wrote:To check if a dog is an 'ex-pat' dog, just say 'sit' and see what happens!!
I don't think that would work, most of the Spanish round here train their dogs to 'sit' as it's shorter than 'sienta te'.

Campo Gill
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Campo Gill » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:21 pm

masterob wrote:
I´m impressed by your local knowledge! Only been here 5 years and don´t know one dog from another. Maybe I´ll learn a lot in the next 12 months. :shock:
It also helps when you know who the owners were.

We know of one sad case where the British owners went back to UK, leaving the dog behind to wander the streets. For several months that dog went to the bus stop to meet the school bus, as it had done with its owners, but no family got off. Fortunately for the dog another Brit is now looking after him.

Raquel
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Raquel » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:27 pm

Amazing that expat dogs can now be distinguised - my dogs are Spanish I wonder if English people in Kent can tell the difference?

I think its disgusting that anyone can dump a dog or any animal or be cruel to animals in anyway but please it must be heart wrencing when you've run out of money, need to return to England and dont know what to do. Not excusing it but perhaps they hoped it would be better to dump it and another kind hearted charitible soul would care for the dog rather than send it to a dogs home where it will be gassed to death? And whose to say the dogs hadn't wandered off and got lost?

Dont forget that the spanish are parcial to a bit of dumping themselves, prefered methods - out of a moving car, over a bridge in a sack, in the middle of the road and them aim large vehicle at it etc etc

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:20 pm

If anyone of any nationality should think it better to "dump a dog" then they are sadly lacking in many ways.