So proud of my big boy...

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
crazyred
Resident

So proud of my big boy...

Postby crazyred » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:25 pm

Although we have what is considered a 'potentially dangerous' dog, he is always so friendly that you wonder if they would actually be any use if somebody broke in / attacked you.

Yesterday, after meeting the babysitter to pick up our sons, OH and I went home and opened the door to our apartment block to find our front door wide open. Lying just behind the door was the dog waiting for us. He came out in a defensive mode and was obviously relieved when he saw it was us. Somebody had managed to bypass 2 locks and get in the flat without him making a sound (which makes me think that they had keys) and probably got a shock to find him there. Despite the door being open for God only knows how long, nothing was taken and the dog had stayed put to stand guard. He is still in alert mode and paced up & down last night checking both our bedroom & the boys'. We usually keep him in the living room at night but, we let him have the run of the place last night (and probably from now on) just in case. He also keeps running from one end of the flat to the other murmuring to himself and waits by the door the minute he hears a key in the lock, which is something he never did before.

Seeing as we were robbed only 2 months ago (they had obviously seen OH walking the dog on the beach) & the gits had found a large amount of money that I had changed in Gib to pay some of our mortgage arrears, makes me so proud of him that I went to the butcher and got him the biggest beef bone I could see!!!

I'm so proud of my Reggie and am so glad we have such a TOP DOG :D :D :D

The people who came in obviously know us, and when I find out who they are, they are in big trouble. I really hope that Reg took a chunk out of them :evil:

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Re: So proud of my big boy...

Postby Julie » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:49 pm

Well done Reggie xxx
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:04 pm

Hi crazyred,
Sounds like you have a good one there :D
Now get those locks changed :!:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:17 pm

Bloody hell,twice in such a short space of time..something funny going on there :?
Good old hero Reggie.Protecting his lovely family and belongings..surely crazy if its someone that knew you,wouldnt they realise what a big softie Reggie really is and took stuff anyway??
Or do you think he saw them off whoever they were?
Glad you are all o.k and nothing was took this time..do as Enrique says and change the locks. :evil:

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:56 pm

Locks are changed now & all is secure!!

I'm very sure that it is someone we know (both times) due to other circumstances which I won't go into. They probably thought that Reggie would be OK with them but, if we haven' t invited them in & shown him that they are meant to be there then he obviously knows that he needs to get rid of them.
I made a big deal of inviting the babysitter in before she started and as she always comes in with the kids he knows she's meant to be there. Visitors are always there with us at our invitation & I think that he knows the difference. He's also very receptive to moods so, if the person entering was even the slightest bit nervous he would pick up on that and act. I think also that they left the door open trying to get him to come out of the flat so they could go in & shut the door behind them but he wouldn't come out. Even when we came home he wouldn't come out of the front door to meet us when he's usually trying to rush out!

I just think that we have a fab dog, a great family dog who's good with children & people but obviously knows how to defend his property too!! What lucky peeps we are :D :D

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:14 pm

Oh well done Reggie and thankfully nothing was missing this time around. Goodness nothing but break in´s all up and down the coast :evil:
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:06 pm

It seems that way Patricia, a sign of the times unfortunately!!
We lost a lot in the last robbery so, I can't stop telling Reggie what a good boy he is, as I don't think I would've got through losing any more without having a nervous breakdown...

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:34 am

Lucky you having a dog that actually guards the house! In the UK we had a dog that would bark at the postman and paper boy, but the night we were burgled let them in and probably showed them where we kept the family silver!!!!! The really infuriating thing was we had a burglar alarm, but hadn't turned it on as we 'hoped' the dog would keep any one out! He was a lovely dog though and we couldn't really blame him!!!!
I can spell but I can't type

samantha
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samantha » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:11 am

Great to hear a happy doggy tail !! Reggie sure deserved his beef bone !! :)
Please support Pepi´s Dog Refuge
www.pepisdogrefuge.com