DESPERATE NEED OF DOG CRATE!!!

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Helen
Andalucia.com Amigo

DESPERATE NEED OF DOG CRATE!!!

Postby Helen » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:18 am

Hi,

Does anyone have a dog carrier that they no longer want? I'm looking for one with the following measurements:-

102cm x 69cm x 76cm

I had ordered one online but unfortunately we never received it because they couldn't find our address and now time is moving on, I'm going to have to buy one but the pet shop charge extortionate prices so I thought if anyone had one that they no longer use, they might be interested in selling it to me. If you live in the Axarquia area, then all the better, as so do we! If you don't have one but know a friend that might be interested in selling theirs, please let me know. We need it desperately because I need to let the shipping company know the exact measurements and my dog has to be shipped in just over a month.

You can either PM me or reply to this message on the forum.

Thank you!.

Helen

Helen
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: DESPERATE NEED OF DOG CRATE!!!

Postby Helen » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:22 am

Just to say, that it doesn't have to be the exact measurements but no smaller than the above. Thanks.

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:42 pm

Helen - try Carrefour. When I was looking at the catalogue in store for the roof boxes, I'm sure they had them in 3 different sizes. I might buy one for my bigger dogs to keep them safe. How are you shipping the dog home - please let me know. Good luck.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

collars and DOG CRATE!!!

Postby Jool » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:39 pm

A question for PP - are these the crates you refer to for keeping dogs safe from tempting things to chew or is there a difference between ones for transport and ones of in house? Does anyone have weblink for crates for in house use please?

Also cheap but strong dog collars, the next size we need cost 31 euros to be strong enough and long enough, ridiculous they are nothing special and not diamond encrusted...... :?

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:44 pm

Jool - the crates for travel are more solid and have very small mesh on the front so no part of the dog can get through like a paw. they have to be big enought so that the dog can stand up and turn round comfortably. But no bigger than need be as size costs money!!
Ones for use in the home, if you are going to crate the dog overnight or when you go out need to be as big as you have room for to give the dog as much room as possible. They don't have to be as fine a mesh as airline crates. How big is your dog and how long are you going to put him/her in it.

When I go out I put my pug puppy in a big crate about 48" long so he can walk round in it and be comfortable and play with his toys. I can leave him in there in the day without him getting stressed for about 4 hours. After that he might have an "accident"
He would be fine in there at night but he is so good I just let him sleep on the bedroom floor with the others.
have a look at http://www.croftonline.co.uk/
this is the best UK company for crates. Why not buy a strong puppy pen???

As regards collars - is that a leather collar you are looking at? The braid ones are a lot cheaper than that.

regards
Muriel

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:36 pm

Hi,
Those dog crates in the link you posted are well made if a tad expensive , I've got the model 1105 that I picked up for £25 second hand, fold nice and flat for taking in the car, my two huskies are happy bunking down in it when we travel. I also use it in the yard too when I move the cars about.
The collars I use are Manmat ......can get them in Spain from.....
http://www.speedogs.com/collaresycorreas.html

The dogs will soon get used to the crate if you make it a fun place to be.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:46 pm

Yes they are the best Enrique. I just put the link to show Jool what was available. I think mine came from http://www.doghealth.co.uk/
I have also got the aluminium covers for them that keep the heat out in the car.

Once puppy gets used to the crate they treat it like their own little place. I leave the crate door open and Charlie pug often wanders in there on his own for a sleep or to play with his toys. It becomes their special place.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:29 am

Thanks everyone, my "puppies" now 9 months old, are the size of tall labradors......like to lay on their side and extremely resourceful, they undid the puppy pen easily.......or collapsed it by climbing out of it...... they are not naughty but had a traumatic start to life so take anything of mine, or the last used thing and destroy it while I´m out.........playing with it, we buy a new dishcloth every few days.......I´ve also lost shoes and a handbag......they can reach everywhere so need to find a solution.........

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:44 am

Jool they are still teething - it will pass I promise you. I always say there is only one place for a puppy - behind bars :lol: :lol: I didn't realise they were big dogs!
You have to find a safe way of containing them when you can't supervise them.
Either a room where there is nothing to destroy or a crate. Two crates would not be cheap!!

The other option if you have room is to build them an outside kennel and run. It would have to be in the shade and you could cover it with mozzie netting in the summer.That way you can go out without worrying and for longer periods knowing the dogs are safe and can relieve themselves.
Then have them indoors while you are home. Kennel them at night.
Long term I think this would be your best option. I don't suppose you have any sort of solid outbuilding you could attach a mesh run to?

Having bred Bullmastiffs for 20 years I know what you are going through!! We always kennelled ours and had them in regularly. Otherwise I would have had no home left! And being two they will keep each other company.

Muriel

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:29 pm

Thanks, yes and being two of them they egg each other on all the time........I have never had such mischievous dogs......we never get to eat our own fruit as they pick it and eat it first! Same with tomatoes, they even ate the onion leaves......

At night they are fine as they sleep in with me, no damage or anything........its only when we are out, and always things with my scent on, other things freshly laundered for instance are untouched...I think its absent minded nibbling then the other wants it and thus you have a bun fight.......

I will think about the kennel and run option.....

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:49 am

Sorry jool,ive only just seen your question. :oops:
My dog crates are like these ones

http://www.petcratesdirect.com/general- ... crate.html

You can even buy water dishes that screw on to the inside allowing the dog to have a drink without spilling it.
Having just read about the kennel and run option..i would give that a complete miss!
You dont want your dogs to be outside dusk and dawn with the sand flies do you!!!
Plus,the price of two large crates is nothing compared to the price of the damage they can do.
I had a staff in UK that chewed the kitchen walls,and started on the kitchen units we were going to replace nothing stopped him,chilli paste,mustard everything we rubbed on the plaster..we bought a crate and it stopped straight away.

Collars~ I love this company.

http://www.blockydogs.com/

they have some amazing stuff on there for big dogs,you can also personalise the collars too. :D
I havent ordered from them yet,but im going to.