Leishmania

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Anntonio
Andalucia.com Amigo

Leishmania

Postby Anntonio » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:55 am

I know there has been a lot of posts on this, but please be aware of the threat. I had to have one of my cockers(Willow) put to sleep on friday due to leishmania. Very upsetting, but we tried everything. The other two seem fine, but will keep an eye on them. I live in the hills, so, as you probably know it is all Spain that is now infected. The vet in El Ejido was very good, but told me she could have been infected 2 years ago! He told me that it could be any dog and as yet there is no preventative medicine, although because of all the chemicals that are used around El Ejido, for the invernideros, they don't have the problem! Makes you wonder about the produce sold in the supermarkets back in UK. Take care of your dogs and yourseves and do your best.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Re: Leishmania

Postby Jool » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:24 pm

I am so sorry, poor Willow and how upsetting for you.

We have our dogs blood tested every November / Dec for leish as catching it early makes a real difference to the treatment and outcome. Once it is advanced the treatment can be quite painful for dogs.........we rescued a dog with leish and paid out for treatment for months but in the end she had to be put to sleep, less than 3 years old.....

tjtops
Resident

Re: Leishmania

Postby tjtops » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:19 pm

Yes...I have two with it...thank God under control for almost 3 years now but still requiring treatment...it's a b**t**d of a disease, because there's very little you can do to prevent it except ALWAYS make sure the Scalibor collars are up to date (it doesn't matter with those if the dogs get wet, unlike the various drops) and as you say, have your dogs blood tested regularly.
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full