Unidentified insect

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Unidentified insect

Postby Campo Steve » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:50 pm

Just wondering if anyone can identify this insect, seen this morning in an outside room. Our first thought was scorpion, but it had no tail. Not the clearest of pictures I am afraid.

Any ideas?

I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

wildside
Resident

Re: Unidentified insect

Postby wildside » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:06 pm

Hi,

Looks like one of the jumping spiders...... 8 legs....... How big or small was it?
Hard to get a proper identification with this picture though

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:28 pm

Scorpion :shock: :?

wildside
Resident

Postby wildside » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:31 pm

It's definately not a scorpion.... It is most definately a spider.. :)

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:27 pm

It was only small. Body about half an inch long. Front legs looked like crabs claws. but could be legs. Can't go and check as it has disappeared.

wildside
Resident

Postby wildside » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:37 pm

I wonder where it went?.....Whats that crawling up your shoulder Steve? :evil: hehehehee

Next time try to take a few shots from different angles... The quality of images can be worked with if you get the essential identification clues from various angles.... This guy certainly has no scorpion sting and it's plain to see that the front set of legs are modified in some way for hunting maybe... evolution is amazing.... Still, 4 pairs of 2 legs makes it a spider and its small enough then to be a jumping spider... there are a lot of different jumping spiders and I dont think i have ever seen this one..... Its cute though :)

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:39 pm

It looks like a brooch to me.

Any idea what THIS is? I found it in Princess Peach's Mercadona chicken (other thread).

Dave

wildside
Resident

Postby wildside » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:46 pm

looks like a robber fly but probably isn't The picture is too one sided to tell.... One of the reasons I don't post here very often is because you guys can't keep a topic on track.... Mowser, start a new topic with a better picture... If you really care that is. If not don't bother....

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:25 am

One of the reasons I don't post here very often is because you guys can't keep a topic on track.... Mowser, start a new topic with a better picture... If you really care that is. If not don't bother....
Off topic? Let's see. The subject is "Unidentified insect" and I posted an unidentified insect.
Whoa! How off-topic is that?
Dave

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:36 am

How off-topic is that?
At least it wasn't a kangaroo!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:58 am

Off topic? Let's see. The subject is "Unidentified insect" and I posted an unidentified insect.
Whoa! How off-topic is that
Mowser please stop being a jerk!
Wildside is a great poster with helpful info,please dont wind him up. :roll:

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:13 pm

princess peach

Thanks a bunch. I still don't understand his point. Does he think he's the moderator of these boards?
Dave

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:22 pm

Mowser of course he doesnt think anything like that(im sure hell be along soon enough to speak for himself)BUT.......The person who posted the pic in the first place asked a serious question,and Clearly wildside is the only poster who knows a considerable amount about every creature that we find here in spain...
Then you come along...(and post a random pic,which is clearly being daft)asking what type of insect is this ,thats been found in my Mankydonna chuck :?
Come on Mowser,he was only saying~if you want to start another thread,post a better pic and he will help you out if you were serious..nothing wrong with that!
get yer claws in and put your handbag down.... :lol:

wildside
Resident

Postby wildside » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:23 pm

My point is that identification posts get messed up if more other species animals are placed in the original topic....Like I said... If you took the picture and really want it identified then start a new topic about it... If not then don't.. Did you take this picture mowser? Are you really serious and interested in what it is?

Your post with the fly in is actually reffered to in forum speak as "hijacking" go look it up. Once again another topic that I want no part of........

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:52 pm

Your post with the fly in is actually reffered to in forum speak as "hijacking" go look it up.
Why would I look it up if I know what it means? You're too serious. These boards are full of excellent points on a variety of subjects. Loads of posters will sometimes put in something "slightly off topic" and nothing is said. You have an option of ignoring said posts.

I reckon you're just peeved because you're an expert in wildlife and want the board to yourself.
Dave

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:33 pm

I reckon you're just peeved because you're an expert in wildlife and want the board to yourself.
well i agree with the first quote....he is a complete expert in wildlife.. :D
as for the "think you want the board to yourself"~Mowser are you on something?? :lol:

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:59 pm

as for the "think you want the board to yourself"~Mowser are you on something??
Hmm ... I'm obviously not on a roll.

You do realise my response was to his asking me to keep the topic on-track - like that ALWAYS happens here. The only off-topic part was saying it was in one of your Mercadona chickens (I saw that on another board). Better explanation below.

I saw the insect on one of our oleander bushes. I was staring at it for a few minutes trying to work out what it was. Shortly afterwards it flew off. I then went to the computer looking at dozens of insects and saw one I thought might have been it. As I was unsure I went to the "animals etc" thread whereupon I saw someone asking the same question. I added my insect to the thread. That's all.

I thought it might have been a bit mad to start a new thread asking about MY insect.
Dave

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:59 pm

Back to the original insect, here is the whole picture before I zoomed in on the insect with Photoshop. As it had 3 pairs of legs plus the legs (that looked like claws) at the front I guess it is a member of the spider family, as opposed to the scorpion that I see has 4 pairs of legs plus the claws.

Somewhat ironic given some of the suggestions that when we saw it, it was right next to a framed (dead) scorpion.