Dog Training in Benamagorsa

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
clagat
Tourist

Dog Training in Benamagorsa

Postby clagat » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:05 pm

My dogs urgently need training any ideas where I can go please?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Dog Training in Benamagorsa

Postby Enrique » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:28 pm

Hi clagat,
Have a read on the web for your specific breed, decide what level you want your dog to be trained at and work on it yourself.

Some guides worth reading..................

http://www.cesarsway.com/

And training books by Bruce Fogle

Make it fun for you and the dog and things will soon click into place 8)
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:45 am

I did once see what looked like a class taking place on the promenade in Torre del Mar. Can't remember what day of the week it was, so that's not much help. One of those taking part was last seen chasing down the beach after his/her dog that had decided it wasn't impressed so ran off. Maybe not a good sign.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

Campo Gill
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Campo Gill » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:12 am

clagat, are you stupid??? :wtf: Have you seen any well trained dogs in spain, esp. in benamargosa??? :P My brother sorted my dogs out....unfortunately have not seen him for a while so they have gone back to their wicked ways!!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:42 am

Hi Campo Gill,
Sounds like your Brother should have trained you as well as the dogs...............and all would still be ok. :D

In our local town many old men/women have a couple of small dogs trailing along besides them, no leads, no commands and the dogs never stray from the pavement . So in that aspect they are "well trained".
Define what level of training you want from your dog and set about getting there.
Set boundaries, be consistent and have fun.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

clagat
Tourist

Postby clagat » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:22 pm

Thanks for the replies...I think!!
One of the dogs is a pedigree yorkie...you probably wouldnt know to look at him,smallish the other a bit larger mutt.
I would like to stop then barking when they feel like it and come in when I tell them to after a walk,admittedly the yorkie is better behaved maybe because he wasnt a rescue dog and the other is,drives me demented the way she looks to escape all the time and cant take her out without a battle to get her back in.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Can't use the quote button as admin gave me a yellow card! Seems nuts so I'll just copy bits of your post.

"I would like to stop then barking when they feel like it." ...First of all, you don't want to stop them barking completely. If they did stop, then they wouldn't bark if a burglar attempted access to your house. I suggest training á la "Cesar Millan". If the dog barks, simply touch the side of his head near his ear and say "NO". Repeat this every time. Eventually if you say "NO" it should stop.

"and come in when I tell them to after a walk" ... Dogs don't understand when you tell them to come in! If they're far away and you shout, you'll be ignored. When you come back from your walk, keep the lead on the dogs and as soon as you are in the house give them a treat while saying "come on boy" (or any other phrase you like). Again, repeat this after EVERY walk for the next few days. Eventually, you just need to shout "come on boy" (and they'll come in. Dogs love being outside so you'll have to make them WANT to come back.

drives me demented the way she looks to escape all the time and cant take her out without a battle to get her back in. If she looks to escape all the time, the chance is that she's not getting enough walks.

Take a look at http://www.cesarsway.com/tips/problembe ... ce-barking
Dave