Toads

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Toads

Postby Campo Steve » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:06 am

A neighbour found one of her dogs dead in the garden a week ago. There were no signs of injury but they also found a dead toad. It is likely then, that the dog caught the toad and was killed by its toxicity.

We have two dogs and a cat and don't want the same to happen to them.

Is there an easy way, such as a trap, for catching and getting rid of toads? I haven't seen any toads on our land, yet, but if they are on a neighours land there is the possibility they could come to us, or the dogs/cat stray onto their land.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

julian
Andalucia Guru

Re: Toads

Postby julian » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:37 am

I think the only way to stop toads getting in is with a fine-mesh fence, but that wouldn´t stop your cat getting onto your neighbour´s land unfortuntely.
living in the country with pets is complicated !

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:42 am

I don't know it it is some kind of instinct but if my dogs come across a toad they will bark incessantly and prance around it at a distance but won't touch it. This gives me a chance to get rid of it before it does any harm but does anyone know if a dog has to bite it to be affected or does the toad have some method of protecting itself by spraying something toxic in the same way as, for example, a skunk?
Let's go Brandon!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:17 am

Toads are more dangerous to dogs than cats as dogs tend to attack by biting but cats are more likely to paw at the toad.

I understand the toad can spit venom which is dangerous if it gets in the eyes.

Good info at http://www.pethealth.com.au/Page/toxic-toads

We had them frequently where we used to live. The area was called "Pago de Sapo" - enough said!

The cats never had a problem with them as they were usually too big and slow moving to interest the cats and mainly nocturnal.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:14 pm

We had a huge Toad living happily in our garden for at least 8 years. Would even sit on the terrace step in the dark. Our dogs would just sniff and give it a wide berth. One day OH said he had seen it and it had a swelling on it's side, about a month later we found it dead in the undergrowth. I think some types are a threatened species in southern spain.

http://www.andalucia-life.com/magazine/ ... tentID=164

crazydiamond
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby crazydiamond » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:06 pm

We have had 2 dogs poisoned by toads, thankfully we managed to get both to the vets and they were saved. We have put fine mesh around our terrace area and make sure we close that area off when it gets dark. The toads tend to be around more after dusk and especially if there has been rain. We also pick up the dog's water bowls if toads are around and switch outside lights off, they are attracted to water and light. Cats seem to be a bit smarter and keep away but some dogs are inquisitive. The toads are only defending themselves but the venom is lethal, especially to smaller dogs. If you suspect a dog has been poisoned it is urgent to get them to the vet straight away. The first signs are staggering, foaming at the mouth and panting. Yes, unfortunately having pets in the campo can be complicated!

jayneejay
Tourist

Postby jayneejay » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:38 pm

just read this about toads, and thought I would share this info..
We live in Coin Malaga Spain, on an urbanisation and every night I have to take out a torch and do a Toad Patrol, I find at least 2 Toads most nights, I have to do this before I let the dogs out for the last time at night, as soon as dusk starts the Toads come out, and they stay out until dawn, we have a small garden which is actually shingle at the back, and I have noticed they tend to be around the edges of the path and against the rocks at the rear of garden..
A dog if it ingests the bufo toxin a toad releases more often dies within 40 mins, it absolutely terrifies me, and has made me quite paranoid, I knew nothing about Toads being so deadly until I was at the vets and the vet left us as an emergency occurred and a dog that had been near a toad actually passed away while we were there, she explained to me about them, and then we moved to a villa that seemed to have lots in the garden at night.
I am still puzzled as to where they come from at night, next to us is a plot of unbuilt land and a big pile of thick tree cutting dumping ground with leaves etc etc, maybe they live under there by day and come through at night, the garden has a part walled and fenced with the screen to keep them out and still they get in, also the rear of garden has big rocks and then land above and I have seen toads trying to climb up them at night, maybe they live in between the rocks by day , I discover that toads can live until they are 50 years old, :? ummm, and they return every night to the same garden, and even to ponds where they we born... (we dont have a pond in spain)
we have also lived in SW France and had the same problem, we could hear the toads mating calls in France and the same big toad came back every night there, even though we walked it up the road in a kids fishing net.. they were returning to the pond we had, we had to empty it fill with stones and still they came back.
here in Spain garden we hear no mating cries, they are just here every night, and in Spain they are all year round, We have even had them in pool aswell, they have got in during night and been unable to get out.. nightmare...
I Am always buying the kids orange fishing nets from the Shops and have them everywhere in the garden so can remove the toads and pop back over fence...
dont know what else to suggest, but please keep a look out, I am always hearing of dogs that die after a toads bufo toxin has been ingested, the toad releases this toxin from its warty raised lumps on its body so the dogs do not have to eat the toad to be poisoned... but I know some dogs will try and catch them hence the bufo entering their mouths etc..
in summer the toads even sit under the AC tube outside under the water that drips out...
maybe our garden is worse than some others, but please keep an eye out for them when its dusk onwards.. our pool is actually separated from back garden and they can be in front or back garden with us, and sometimes they sit against the patio sliding door in the corner... nightmare... :crazy:
what with toads and sandfly its no easy task..

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:26 pm

Surely all toads aren't poisonous :? We had 4 cats and two dogs with no problems at all.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:02 pm

katy wrote:Surely all toads aren't poisonous :? We had 4 cats and two dogs with no problems at all.
They don't allow toads in Marbella - far too pleb.

Seriously though, they are really dangerous to dogs rather than cats but they don't occur everywhere. We had lots of them as the area was called "Pago de Sapo" and there were lots of them. Never had a problem with our cats as they will keep clear or at worse prod them. Dogs try and eat them which is usually fatal.

Sid