shar pei puppies

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: shar pei puppies

Postby El Cid » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:32 pm

So perhaps you could answer my earlier question - are these pups for sale or are they giving them away?

If they are for sale then your original post is effectively an indirect selling advert and that is not allowed which is why your original post was reported to me.

Sid

cozykennels
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby cozykennels » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:31 pm

As far as i know the owner is looking for good homes :)

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:49 pm

Anyone who breeds dogs is in it for profit, they aren't dog lovers. Neither are the people who buy them. They just inferior people who think by having a trendy dog it enhances their non personality. The dog means as much to them as owning a car or the latest oven range etc. If these dogs are pure bred then "your friend" :roll: must have paid quite a sum for the mate. I think you are despicable, pretending to be an animal lover and at the same time spamming the forum :twisted:

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:08 pm

does that mean you are in favour or against dog breeding katy ?

cozykennels
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby cozykennels » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:13 am

katy wrote:Anyone who breeds dogs is in it for profit, they aren't dog lovers. Neither are the people who buy them. They just inferior people who think by having a trendy dog it enhances their non personality. The dog means as much to them as owning a car or the latest oven range etc. If these dogs are pure bred then "your friend" :roll: must have paid quite a sum for the mate. I think you are despicable, pretending to be an animal lover and at the same time spamming the forum :twisted:
Katy,

I'm sorry but i find your message is rather offensive, who are you to judge?

Firstly, any dog enhances your personality be it from a pedigree pup, rescue dog or even given to you by a friend etc... as the offer unconditional love... unlike people.

Im not sure who you may know or have known that makes you feel that a "dog means as much to them as owning a car or the latest oven range" All of my friends, family and associates whom have pets be it a cat, dog, horse etc... treat their pets like one of the family, as i do mine!

Next time, before commenting i would read what you right and also have a look at other forms where i have helped an number of ex-pats re-home their pets when returning to England along with finding forever homes for dogs in the refuges! There is no pretense there!

To-date i have re-homed over 37dogs in the last 2 years! So if asked i will help a friend, as I'm sure most people would! now i have a feeling if the litter was an accident of mixed breed views would be very different! People would probably be falling over themselves to help!

So it is clear! i do not make any profit out of finding homes for any animal, the only one's that do are the Vets!

Chantelle

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:55 am

Katy.
That is the biggest load of *beep* you have ever posted, not all breeders are in it purely for the money I think your getting confused between puppy farms and genuine breeders. I have had four German Shepherds all pedigree and all from German bloodlines, nothing to do with enhancing my personality because frankly I don't give a toss about that sort of crap. My dogs all came from reputable breeders who knew their dogs and could guarantee the dogs character and despite being pushed poked pulled and sat on by all my grandkids never a bad reaction.

Mhic.

cozykennels
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby cozykennels » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:19 am

Nicely said Mhic.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:52 am

So what is the motive for "genuine" dog breeders? Do they spend hundreds to have a dog mated because they like to see their beloved pet pregnant? Do they enjoy having cute pups around their feet and then have their hearts broken when they sell them on? Pet breeding and showing is just a working from home business a bit like a sheep farmer.

When I went with a friend to ADANA in Estepona who was adopting a dog she said she was going to take the ugliest one in the place. Boy was he ugly but he was beautiful in temprament. That's what a dog lover is. I don't care however many dogs you have rescued :roll: by just buying one pedigree you are condeming another dog to a life (or death) in some awful kennels.

So how much does your friend want for these dogs or is she giving them away :?:

cozykennels
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby cozykennels » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:33 am

Katy

Most breeders do not spend hundreds to have their dog mated, normally the owners of the male are offered the pick of the litter.

You cannot condemn people for wanting to show their dog, some do it professionally and make a profit (most times, owners they spend more than they make) and other times some just like to enter a local beauty contest or agility contest for fun! there is nothing wrong with that at all.

To be quite frank.... everyone is entitled to their own opinion on breeding. As you have yours i have mine and "harry down the road" will have another!

Yes it is sad that there are so many unwanted dogs across Spain and more are being born everyday BUT what is better... a person getting a dog from the refuge because they feel compelled to, only to later return it later due to various reasons (believe me, this happens a lot) or to choose a dog from wherever it may be that they actually want!

There is no right or wrong on this matter, it all comes down to personal choice
If a person can offer a loving home to a pet no matter where it came from who are you to say they are not a dog lover as they wasted money on it?? To them, their money was not wasted!

Either way pets are expensive be it from a refuge or a pet shop, you still have to spend money, take time, care and attention. If someone is willing to do so then they rate very highly in my book pedigree or not!

Again, if you read the post properly then you would have seen that 2 of the puppies are staying in the family which was what they wanted to begin with and the other 3 are to go to good homes! There is no profit in this for them at all! The mother will be sterilized as soon as the nursing period is over.

Now knowing this i think that is is rather clear that the owners are not in it to make a tidy sum! they do not want the pups to be put in a pet shop window they want good homes.

Katy, can i ask... how many dogs you have?

Obviously, as you feel so strongly about this matter i'm surprised you did not mention that you got yours from the refuge rather than mentioning you taking your friend....

Chantelle

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:39 am

I have mentioned my rescue dogs and cats before so didn't feel the need to point out how "good" I am :lol: All now back in the UK at great expense. My oldest rescue dog is now about 16 years old.

cozykennels
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby cozykennels » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:51 am

Nice to hear :D

starynightsky
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby starynightsky » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:56 am

I can see this argument from all sides. However if you are paying for a pedigree pup, you have made an investment in a pet (normally a pet, breeding is a different issue) that you are going to love and look after.

In Spain (AND in the UK) there are many many dogs that need new homes but as Cozykennels said earlier dogs are often returned because of all sorts of factors, behavioural problems etc. You are less likely to dump or abandon a pedigree animal that you have paid alot of money for.

There can be money in breeding but, from what i can gather, it is not cheap. There are costs involved that most people would not realise. Every pup has to be checked by a vet and vaccinated etc. There can also be extra costs taking care of the mother if the birth did not go well etc.

Like i said i can see the arguments from all sides. Someone else stated earlier in this thread, that people may want a specific breed to suit their lifestyles i.e better with kids, better with burglars :thumbup: (joke) etc.

Just out of interest..... how many of these abandoned / homeless / abused dogs in shelters are PEDIGREE / Purebreeds? Interesting question to which i do not know the answer.

starynightsky
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby starynightsky » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:58 am

Also forgot to mention....

Buy purchasing a dog instead of adopting, you are not condemming another dog to death.

The person(s) who dumped the dog or didnt have their dog spayed and dumped the litter already did that.

My opinion thats all, no more no less.

Ok you can hack me to bits now. :wave:

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:06 pm

Can´t answer with statistics but we have re-homed (to others) following pure breeds that were abandoned

Husky

2 German shepherds (good temperaments)

One entire male labrador

Other pure breeds often abandoned here in Andalucia

Podencos

Ibizan Hounds

Pointers (we have 3 of these now, two only half pointer)

Its education that is needed and laws re animal cruelty that are enforced and don´t result in the death of the animal if it is rescued from a poor living condition......if you lose an animal due to ill treatment or neglect or stupidity you should be forced to pay for its vets bills and all its proper care until it can be re-homed......and this means that the law re micro-chipping animals MUST be enforced so that all owners are traceable.

starynightsky
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby starynightsky » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:13 pm

JOOL,

Thanks for that. It is interesting that you have rehomed pure breeds and even an entire male lab.

I do agree that the animal laws need to be enforced more over here.

It all starts with the Microchip and traceability!!! If an animal has a microchip there is always traceability. I have known plenty of english as well as spanish that do not have their animals microchipped.

How could they enforce this law? Door to door calling to see if you have unchipped pets? Do they have the manpower? Not arguing, just trying to start a debate....

All our local charities are stuffed to overflowing with abandoned / homeless animals. Then two or three litters appear and are given refuge as well. It is a seemingly never ending problem with, at the moment, no end in sight.

Thoughts?
(Sorry mods getting off topic)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:26 pm

starynightsky wrote: Thoughts?
(Sorry mods getting off topic)

Don't worry - it went off topic after the first post!

It's a very valid topic in it's own right and very relevant to the stray animal situation here in Andalucia.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:29 pm

There are lots of pedigrees in animal homes along the CDS. A pedigree is likely to have problems as a rescued mut. I know as my parents bought me a King Charles Spaniel (in the days before I knew any better) and it had lots of problems, completely without personality as are a lot of those inbred pampered pooches. Rescue dogs are more intelligent and faithfull. When I adopted one of my dogs I could see the disgust on our Gardeners face as she had lost a lot of her fur, he didn't like her to come anywhere near him. A few months later he said that if she had pups could he have one!

The only thing I have seen in rescue dogs (and I have seen a lot) is they tend to be timid. A friend had one which was the size of a small donkey. Sat on their terrace I lifted my leg to cross it and it was terrified, I think he thought I was going to kick him.

I love german Shepherds, I adore West Highland terriers but would never consider buying any. The arguement that people who pay a lot for a pedigree look after them better doesn't stand up as is shown on the CDS. Some of the people who buy them are the least likely to afford them. Seen all the changing fads too, Yorkshire Terriers changed to Huskys and samoyeds, then there were a lot of Dalmations after the film :roll:

starynightsky
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby starynightsky » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:50 pm

i will certainly agree with you about the dalmatians.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:00 pm

Policia Local could do spot checks and have a scanner to do so anywhere......or animal owners could be required to present their Tarjeta of chip to the local town Hall - all my dogs and cats have a plastic credit card type date card showing their microchip number and relevant info......no point leaving it to vets as vets mostly see the good owners!

Sadly I think drastic action is needed or animal cruelty will continue and for me protecting the animals comes before anything else.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:33 pm

Our Spanish neighbour found 2 newborn puppies in a carrier bag and bought them home. She made a fantastic job of handrearing them. They are given food, shelter and love. They just do not think it is worth having the b itch spayed nor the male castrated. The b itch had pups at 6 months ( they all died) then got pregnant 6 months later, had injections to abort the pups. 6 months later she had another litter, they were all taken to the vet at 2 days old ( so they said) the b itch is now on a human birth control pill once a week (Sundays with some sausage)
They take the dogs to the vet if they are ill, they have tick treatment..... But no microchip or spaying/castrating, why waste money they say!