shar pei puppies

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: shar pei puppies

Postby katy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:00 am

Good point! I had one years ago. I just see red when people try to justify the breeding.

TinaTapas
Resident

Postby TinaTapas » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:08 pm

annfoto wrote:I would urge anyone here who can give a dog a good home to get one from an animal rescue centre and not encourage people to breed pedigree dogs :evil:
Absolutely agree

Breeding any dog, especially "pedigree" dogs is just plain sick in a country where there are so many strays

I've just had a heated discussion with a Spanish neighbour of mine who knocked on my door last night, carrying a box of Husky pups (what a dog to breed in this climate for a start)

He doesn't know my husband's a retired vet and started trying to flog me a pup - the poor mite was about 5 weeks old and when I suggested he shouldn't be separating the pups from the mother, the guy said he'd let me have the pup for 300 without vaccinations or 400 with :roll: :roll: :roll:

TinaTapas
Resident

Postby TinaTapas » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:21 pm

Jool wrote:Policia Local could do spot checks and have a scanner to do so anywhere......or animal owners could be required to present their Tarjeta of chip to the local town Hall - all my dogs and cats have a plastic credit card type date card showing their microchip number and relevant info......no point leaving it to vets as vets mostly see the good owners!

Sadly I think drastic action is needed or animal cruelty will continue and for me protecting the animals comes before anything else.
Spot checks by the police

That very thing happened in our little village.....to the English anyway

When I asked if the same checks were being carried out over the entire village I received a quick look and then was ignored, despite asking twice more.

They've not been back since though

TinaTapas
Resident

Postby TinaTapas » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:27 pm

katy wrote:Good point! I had one years ago. I just see red when people try to justify the breeding.
There is no justification

Breeders always make a profit.

The amount of profit depends on the quality of care that they give the pups in terms of nutrition and veterinary attention, but they ALWAYS make a profit.

Some breeders are more responsible than others - however in this country and financial climate, it is an irresponsible thing to do.

The key to this is education - all these numbskulls that have to have the latest trendy breed (Teacups and CockerPoos etc?) need to be taught that it is not about how much money a dog costs, it is about whether you can provide a good and permanent home to an animal that feels - both pain and emotions - many humans seem unaware or unconcerned of this fact.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:42 pm

Hi Tina Tapas,

"what a dog to breed in this climate for a start"

They (Huskys) are ok in the heat. Ok you're not going to run them, but around the house/yard they just chill out , no stress or panting .
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

TinaTapas
Resident

Postby TinaTapas » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:16 pm

Hi Enrique

They're fine if they are looked after properly in extreme heat - although it's not ideal is it, what with the thick double coat they have etc.

However many people seem to use them as outdoor guard dogs.

Not many people are willing to pay for either installation or an increase of their bills as far as air conditioning goes. Nor do many people seem to be able to get out of bed early enough and walk their dogs before the sun gets hot in the summer months

I would stress that there are many breeds that are not suited to either very hot or very cold climates - if cared for properly then fine, but all too often they're not - or they are abandoned because it's all too much like hard work for the owner.

Only based on what I see, perhaps it's different where you are

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:29 pm

From the Northern California Siberian Husky Club
"Siberians can tolerate extreme cold, and surprisingly, do not suffer in hot weather. They need a dry, draft-free shelter in Winter and Shade in Summer.
I suppose it's their thick coats that protect them.
Dave

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:57 pm

Hi Mowser,
That's correct, with their double coat well insulated for both extremes.

My horror story of the month, someone (Spanish) wanted to buy a Husky for their daughters first communion . :evil:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:27 pm

The worst thing you can do to a Husky is shave its coat off in the summer as it removes their insulation. They could die from heat exhaustion.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

TinaTapas
Resident

Postby TinaTapas » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:08 pm

The truth of it is that some dogs are more suited to colder climates

The Husky is one of them.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:30 pm

Actually you are quite wrong here. Check ANY Husky site and you will discover that they can cope with extremes of climate.
Dave

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:41 pm

us brits are also more suited to colder climates, but there are plenty of us here !!!

TinaTapas
Resident

Postby TinaTapas » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:48 pm

I think we're nit-picking a little here

Of course they can survive in hot climates (if cared for properly) but prefer cooler ones

I'm sure anyone in Spain with a Husky or a FBD (just a couple of examples of breeds that are not bred for warmer climates) will notice that their dogs are more energetic and alert in the cooler months?

I don't think anyone can pretend otherwise, no matter how many online breeders based in warm climates say otherwise (and they will, because they want to sell you a dog)

My husband was a vet for a quite a few years, but hey, what does he know? :)

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:27 pm

Mowser wrote:

Actually you are quite wrong here. Check ANY Husky site and you will discover that they can cope with extremes of climate.
Of course the "husky sites" will say that (can a duck swim) the sites are run/patronised by breeders. They would even say that they are fine in Quatar...or Namibia :roll:

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:45 am

So katy is also an expert on all things canine. Is there no end to your "talents"?
Check out other sites regarding huskies. It's usually better than making things up as you go along.
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Dave

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:54 am

and ducks cannot really swim, but the on-line duck sites will tell you they can just so that people will buy them for their ponds, they are actually far better suited to the desert, they have webbed feet so they do not sink in the soft sand.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:28 am

Mowser wrote:So katy is also an expert on all things canine. Is there no end to your "talents"?
Check out other sites regarding huskies. It's usually better than making things up as you go along.
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Why would I want to waste time looking at husky sites just to try and prove who is right or wrong as you have done :wtf: For the record I don't think the Husky breed is any more affected by the weather than any other breed, we had one (rescued by the Civil guard wandering in the campo). He was a big softie and one of the cats used to sleep between his front paws.

I was just pointing out that the websites are run by breeders and they aren't without bias.

Seems to me there are a few on here who aren't interested in pets just following me around so I am asking you nicely to P I S S off or stop jumping to conclusions and stalking me :mrgreen:

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:35 am

I was just pointing out that the websites are run by breeders and they aren't without bias.
As I said before ... check ANY site you wish regarding huskies. I'd rather take their word about the breed than somebody who posts opinions about every subject under the sun.
:crazy:
Dave

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:52 am

I repeat........why would I want to check out Husky sites when I agree I don't think they are affected with the heat

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:59 am

katy wrote:I repeat........why would I want to check out Husky sites when I agree I don't think they are affected with the heat
I DIDN'T ASK YOU TO CHECK OUT HUSKY SITES!
Dave