Pet-Sitters

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Pet-Sitters

Postby katy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:26 pm

Just wanted to ask you guys. Would you use a pet-sitter to live in your home on the basis of seeing a website? Our sitters can't come and we like a few weeks away after Xmas. Sounds ok. but then anyone can put anything on the web. This one only charges about £150 per week whilst others charge more than double....what do you think?

Donz.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Pet-Sitters

Postby Donz. » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:42 pm

absolutely not - I see the website as a first step. If I were inviting them to stay in my home I would expect to interview them first, see a criminal record check, insurance, and possibly be able to speak to past customers (of course they could easily be 'set up') but I would do a thorough check of them before anything :think:

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:29 pm

Can you not find someone by word of mouth ? just think you could get someone scouting through your knicker draw :lolno:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:58 pm

its difficult isn't it, not fussed about my knickers drawer if they are bored :lol: One agency charges about £350 per week plus £60 pw. for food...I would have thought at that rate they could feed themselves, plus there is an agency fee of 25% :roll: My hairdresser tells me her Sister is doing it but she is young and am having visions of a boyfriend and his mates joining her! I am not sure that the agencies are/would be any better than someone doing it on their own but £150 does sound a bit cheap!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:13 pm

Hi katy,
I've sent you a PM that may be of interest.........
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:26 pm

I've had some fantastic, very professional petsitters through mindmyhouse.

Hobos

Postby Hobos » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:55 am

I live in France and don't have experience of pet sitters in Spain but for my visits to Spain I found pet sitters on a French ex-pat website. I didn't have the opportunity of meeting the first pet sitters until the day before I was due to depart. When they couldn't do my subsequent absences (they live in York), I found another couple who I didn't meet until the morning I departed but had spoken to them frequently on the phone beforehand.

They were both excellent, even mowing the lawn, trimming the hedge and tidying the garden shed!! When I returned the dogs were in fine condition and very happy and the house was cleaner than when I left it. Both couples refused any money - saying that they looked on it as a holiday, well, it is a lovely area and just 15 mins from the coast. They say they've had a brilliant time and will be happy to come back whenever they're available. In fact, they'll covering my 5-week stay in Andalucia very soon.

Perhaps I'm naïve and have been very lucky or perhaps there are many lovely people out there! So, I'd say, give it a go on the websites such as MindMyHome and the ex-pat forums, exchange emails, talk on the phone, meet them first if you can and, if not, you just have to go with your gut feeling.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:21 pm

We used Animal Aunts in UK and know others who used them, not the cheapest but don´t you get what you pay for with these kind of things?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:27 pm

Thanks for all the comments. I am still undecided. I did look at Animal aunts as it is quite close to me. Because they have over 400 "Aunts" I just wonder how much control they have and seems a bit commercial. Charging only £150 or £400+ both make me very wary :think: I think that someone earning over that amount may not actually be a dog lover. There is a woman in the village who does dog walking and feeding for £10 per visit but I wanted them to have some companionship. The cats have a cat-flap and just come and go. Mindmy house looks interesting but then we get back to trust. Thanks for the suggestions Enrique and Marina.

I am a bit paranoid as a friend rented her spanish property to someone she met on a forum and they turned out to be a couple of con-artists!

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:02 pm

I was recommended to use The Home Service, (housesitters.co.uk I think) found them very professional. Wasn't cheap but they looked after the dog very well and the house and garden. They brought their own bedding and towels etc. Mowed lawns, watered plants etc. Don't suppose you would need much of that in January :lolno: The house was spotless when we returned.
What I liked was I got to meet the couple who were to be sitting, and had their references from many other sits to contact had I wanted to.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:00 pm

Katy - animal aunts also have aunts who take the dogs in to their own home, I used that service as well and it was excellent, my dog had holiday photos as well and just loved the holidays..............

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:31 pm

Sounds like a good idea but I have 2 cats too. I think I have found someone, meeting them next week and they have been recommended by our close neighbour who is a vet. Thanks for all the suggestions though.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:54 pm

Can I give a word of warning about dogs going to stay with folk in thier homes. Our Chihuahua used to go to stay at a ladys house, he liked it there, until she put a bull mastif in with our Chihuahua, he killed our dog in minutes. After he was killed we found out the lady had no insurance, her ex partner had not renewed it when she left her. She asked us to keep quiet about our dogs death, she actually made me feel guilty! If anyone wants to know where she is pm me!

I know there are some people who are sensible pet carers, unfortunately, we got a stupid one. I am still furious with her 4 years later!

starynightsky
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby starynightsky » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:13 pm

I believe all pet sitters like Kennels and Catteries need to have a Junta licence. Might be worth checking with your local office before employing anyone to do this for you. :wave: