Chickens

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Chickens

Postby Campo Steve » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:30 pm

We currently have one chicken (Henrietta). She's old, although we don't know how old, and not laid an egg for over a year. She lives in a fenced in secure area of the garden with an inside area.

We would like to get more chickens, possibly three or four. Would we be better getting chicks or ones that are 5 or 6 months old? Don't want to upset Henrietta too much although I believe the "pecking order" thing will be unavoidable

I believe I can get chicks no problem in the village, but where would I get ones a wee bit older? My neighbour has loads of chickens but not interested in selling any. She recommended a place in Velez Malaga but that would be chicks.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Re: Chickens

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:36 pm

Steve, opposite the bus station in Velez there are those warehouse type buildings with the slip road and rough parking in front. One is an agricultural supplier.I think next to a car place. They have chicks for sale inside in the cages.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:01 am

Thanks DA. Sounds like the place where I have bought feed from in the past. I'll go and have a look.

Donz.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Donz. » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:29 am

I am not a chicken expert but having looked at having chickens myself etc, I know that adult hens will usually attack chicks if she thinks they are not hers (have witnessed this - they bully them, peck them, sit on them, and generally stress them out) and often kill them.

Our chicken house area is not yet secure enough away from the dogs to get our hens but looking forward to it :thumbup:

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:39 pm

I would go for the point of lay birds. You aren't going to spend time and money feeding them with no return. As for the non layer - time for the pot being cold blooded about it. No point feeding, housing and caring for a bird for no return.

One final point if you have 3 or 4 birds then you will be getting 18 to 24 eggs a week approx , week after week. Have you got an outlet or use for them?

Donz.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Donz. » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:19 pm

lots thats easy for me - if we have boiled eggs for brekkie that's 7 between us already! :D

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:45 pm

Can't get rid of the old one. She's a pet now, not just a food provider. Anyway, it would upset Mowser and he's been upset enough recently!

As for the number of hens, good point. Maybe two layers would be enough as there are just the two of us and we don't eat eggs every day.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:07 pm

Anyway, it would upset Mowser and he's been upset enough recently!
Don't YOU start! The other cats we used to feed from time to time now won't go back to where they came from and they're hanging around our door. They won't come in though.

Back to the eggs ... are you not aware of the ongoing cholesterol debate?
Dave

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:27 pm

The best solution is if Mowser is so fond of Henrietta she ought to go and live with him and then you can have a few new hens for eggs.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:57 pm

When we have introduced new point of lay hens we put them in a fenced off bit where they could see each other for a few days, I think it was 5 days, then introduced them to each other. I would only get 2 or 3 more hens so your old girl isn't too stressed. We were given some newly hatched chicks, cost a fortune in heat lamps and food. P o l hens are far better.
We sell surplace eggs to neighbours, they can't get enough of our hens eggs.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:27 am

Good advice from Olive view...hens are also social birds and Henrietta should not be living alone in an ideal world, although she has you, it isn't quite the same. She needs the company of some others and can make her own pecking order, which she will be on top of initially, so she should be happy to have company once she gets over he initial meet.
Point of lay ideally ( obviously a lot more expensive to compensate for weeks of non productive food costs) but robust healthy chicks should be OK, kept apart as Olive suggests for a period of 5 days to allow them all to adjust and get their curiosity aroused. Plenty of roosting room is important for the newcomers so there are no squabbles at bedtime - we all deserve a decent bed.

Might be an idea to check her beak too first.

Donz.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Donz. » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:43 am

quick question - does anybody know the correct term to ask for when purchasing point of lay hens?

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:20 pm

Sorry Donz, can't help there. We just pointed at the cage and asked when they would start laying. He said 20 days so we went for them.

Got two today. Introductions to old Henrietta went fairly smoothly with her just doing a little bit of head-pecking. Nothing serious, no blood anyway. Looking good so far.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:12 pm

Donz. wrote:quick question - does anybody know the correct term to ask for when purchasing point of lay hens?
A punto de poner huevos.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:39 pm

Mowser wrote:Back to the eggs ... are you not aware of the ongoing cholesterol debate?
Eggs are good. The ultimate fast food. We go through loads of them and I can't wait to be able to have my own hens.
From the British Heart Foundation regarding eggs,
http://www.bhf.org.uk/default.aspx?page=12920

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:52 pm

I went to the site. This is the part I meant when I mentioned cholesterol.
So while too many fried eggs and cheesy omelettes may risk raising your cholesterol, it’s actually the added fat from the frying or the addition of cheese, which is high in saturated fat, that’s the problem. Poached, boiled or scrambled eggs (without butter) are all absolutely fine and there are no restrictions on how many we should eat as part of a balanced diet.
Poached, boiled or scrambled (without butter). I like a good fry-up!
Dave

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:10 pm

Yep, it's foods that are high in saturated fat, salt, sugar and are highly processed that are the high cholesterol culprits but, you can still enjoy a fried egg Mowser :D .
I saw a fantastic way of cooking a 'fried' egg without needing lots of oil. Put a small amount of olive oil in the frying pan so the egg doesn't stick. Crack the egg in as normal. When the white is nearly cooked and at the point that you would start splashing oil onto the yolk, turn the heat down, chuck some cold water in the pan and put a lid on it. After a short time the top of the egg is cooked (perfect every time), tastes delicious and is so simple that even my 9 year old can make his own :D

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:29 pm

Be wary when buying chicks rather than "punto a poner" birds - we went the chick way and ended up with 5 cocks - the usual average is at least 50/50 males and females apparently! but we got 100% males!! So 3 have ended up in the pot, and we have kept 2 - now about to get some HENS at punto a poner age and taking local advice as to where to buy them - and hoping for a good egg supply at last :wave:

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:39 pm

Bought 2 oven ready ones in Mercadona this morning for 3 euros each :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hardworking resident !!

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:48 pm

Mercadona chicken takes some beating, say I, as one who used to breed table birds back in Ingleterra for a hobby.