A bad summer for ticks?

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

A bad summer for ticks?

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:01 pm

At the refuge we have had a terrible time with ticks, never have we known anything like it, to say some dogs had hundreds would not be an exaggeration :thumbdown: they are all now tick treated and the kennels and walls sprayed. Normally the dogs get a few, but this year we have a plague of ticks, if you can call them a plague! Nasty creatures!

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Re: A bad summer for ticks?

Postby oliveview01 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:47 pm

Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of the ticks that are on the ground? Our dogs at home have all been treated with the liquid along the backs, but still bringing ticks into the house :shock: Tomorrow I am boiling up lemon, lime and orange to make a strong citrus liquid and will spray the dogs morning and night. I just need something to spray the soil with. We are going to pull up some plants that might be a home for the ticks, we need something to treat the soil!

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:40 am

Haven't seen as many ticks on dogs around here this year, but fleas did seem to be worse two or three minths ago. We got our daughters to bring out flea/tick collars from UK. We put them on our dogs and also gave some to our Spanish neighbour. These were collars bought cheaply from Wilkinsons in UK and seemed to work almost instantly. All the dogs are fine and now not a flea or tick in sight. We used to get them from Amazon but the Wilkinsons collars were cheaper and seem more effective.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:52 pm

Hi Olive
During July we had a plague of ticks at the refuge in Huelva provincia - dreadful!! The grass was long in the recreation area due to the rainy spring we had had - this was severely chopped back and cleared and then of course the weather went dry .... the tick plague was over. However we have noticed that our dogs at home have still into August, had occasional ticks attached to them, in spite of Scalibor and Stronghold regular treatments - every now and then they do swim or paddle in local pond water so we can only think they are picking up there - either in the water, or from the bit of grass around the pond. The vets do say that NONE of the collars, sprays, pipettes etc are 100% sure!!! :thumbdown: Your best bet is to keep vegetation cut short (shrubs should be ok but its the grass and weeds the ticks lurk in), and especially anywhere it is damp. Can't think of anyway to treat the ground - sorry. :(

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Do a search for this stuff

blitzem ant flea and tick killer

Or maybe ask your nearest farmer what they use.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:20 am

We live in the campo. Our bouganvillea leaves are turning brown and dying. I've shaken the tree and out drop black flies and what appear to be ticks!! Could this be correct and if so what treatment do you recommend?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:40 am

Hi morlandg,

Don't shake the tree............... :!:

ZZ polvo insecticida will take care of anything that crawls ........... :angel:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:09 pm

the Blitzem seems like a good product but seems to be only available in NZ and Australia!!!
Any ideas for sources in Europe?