Dog Skin irritation. Help!

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Unicorn
Resident

Dog Skin irritation. Help!

Postby Unicorn » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:58 pm

I just noticed that my Golden was licking at a patch of skin irritation between his ribs and back leg.

He has been treated with Advantix but it could be flea bites as I heard there are a lot around. I cannot see any but he has a lot of fur.

Any suggestion what I could do before the vets open on Monday? It is not exactly an emergency but looks a bit sore.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Dog Skin irritation. Help!

Postby Enrique » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:05 pm

Hi Unicorn,
Are you sure its not one of those spiky grass seeds, look like arrow heads, been very bad up this way for my Huskys, works its way into the fur then on into the flesh, they just keep going inward.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:26 pm

I don't think so. He gets them in his feet quite a lot. But one could have caused the irritation so I will double check.

I have just gone out and bought some apple vinager as I read somewhere that a bit of that in a rinse after a bath and some in the drinking water can help.

Fleas are possible but it is only in one spot. I would have though they would be all over. Never had them so not really sure.

I'll go and hunt for one of those spikey things. Thanks for oyur reply.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:29 pm

Well Enrique, just a bit of an update.

I wasn't fleas, it looks like a bite or sharp seed as you suggested. Anyway I put some pomade I had in the pet first aid and discouraged him from licking (luckily he couldn't scratch it).

I did read up quite a lot about cider vinager and am now sprinkling some in his water and am going to spray his undercarriage as it apparently is great for deterring all insects/bugs when out. It seems the benefits of cider vinegar are boundless.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:53 pm

Hi Unicorn,
Good to hear you have sorted it...........some dogs are worse than others for picking them up. Huskys are the worst............. :(
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:53 pm

Hi there

Yes, I guess Huskies are bad because they have dense fur.

If you didn't know about the cider vinagar thing do look it up as it seems like a cure-all for dog ailments.

I think he is on the mend but is getting on a bit now so I think that things heal a little slower.

Cheers