Which Dog Food??

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
crazydiamond
Andalucia.com Amigo

Which Dog Food??

Postby crazydiamond » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:25 pm

Can anyone recommend a decent quality dry dog food that doesn't cost a fortune? We have 5 rescue dogs of different ages and sizes. We were feeding April by Affinity which was really good but our local stockist has stopped selling it. We'd rather not use the supermarket brands like Compy so we are looking for something better than that but not up to Royal Canin prices!

Any ideas greatly appreciated. :)

knowal
Resident

Re: Which Dog Food??

Postby knowal » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:48 pm

What's wrong with Bon Menu from Dia?
My dog has survived on it for years. You can buy the 10 kg bags and when they have special offers, sometimes get 2nd bag at half price. The 10kg bags work out at less than €1 per kilo.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:51 pm

What is wrong with the supermarket brands? Millions of animals seem to survive on them and rescue dogs will probably have never tasted anything so good.

There is no real evidence that the expensive brands are any more than a route to high earnings for the vets.

Sid

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:33 pm

Nowt wrong with supermarket dog food, we feed compy complete when in Spain & Wagg during any time spent in the UK, our dog loves them and is in perfect condition.

Makes me laugh when we visit the vets to see the vast array of "designer" food on offer at silly prices. :crazy:

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:53 am

I was amused by an anecdote in which one woman said, disparagingly, to another "I would never give my dog food from Aldi", to which her companion replied "Why? You give your kids food from Aldi". :wave:
Brian.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:34 pm

We've always fed our animals on the cheapest supermarket food we can find (in UK) - the German Shepherd was 17 1/2 when she died; the ginger cat was nearly 23, we've just lost a male black & white cat at 19, but his sister is still going strong.... the vets are always astonished :thumbup: :clap: :D
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Chica56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Chica56 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:36 pm

We used to use more expensive dog foods but now use ALDI Baldo premium dry food, and all our dogs on it are perfect weight and in good health......the normal Baldo was a bit high in carbohydrates so a couple gained weight on it and were chunky looking but now they are all shapely and healthy......

I don´t like Mercadona dry dog food and the dogs in the charity i work with also refused to eat it.......so that told me something too

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:52 pm

We have always given our dogs Affinity (formerly Purina). I used to buy it in Euromarket but as they have now closed I have found I can get it in SuperSol.
Let's go Brandon!

crazydiamond
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby crazydiamond » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:37 am

Thanks for your replies everyone. My question was after a fair amount of research on the internet looking at ingredients in various dog foods. We have had rescue dogs for many years here and in the UK, there just isn't the same choice over here without paying the earth. I wouldn't buy dog food from the vets as the prices are crazy. We buy 20k bags from our local agricultural merchant which generally works out cheaper than buying from the supermarket but they stopped selling the product we have been using for the last few years.

Beachcomber, which Affinity do you use? We used April which was supposedly more natural, it didn't have additives or food colourings etc., but we are now using Brekkies Excel which is made by Affinity and the dogs have put on weight and are a bit scatty! They are being fed the right quantity and have plenty of exercise.

Thanks again, I appreciate everyone has their own views and budgets!