Dog disc

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Tim_09

Re: Dog disc

Postby Tim_09 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:54 am

Nice post!

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:08 pm

Took our two dogs to the vet yesterday for their annual booster jags, including rabies. I asked about the tags and she gave me two, but said they weren't compulsory.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:14 am

We (the dog) had her annual jabs last week in Nerja, tags not mentioned. I had not seen this thread then or would have asked.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:09 pm

Our two dogs and the foster mut we have at present here in deepest rural Huelva province, are all up to date with their rabies jabs but there has never been any mention of any tag/disc when they were done at various stages throughout the year. Having seen this thread I asked at our local vet if it was necessary to have a disc, and if so why we didn't have any, and she said that Yes, discs were available (and rummaged under the desk and came up with three in hand), but that NO, it is NO LONGER a legal requirement ... she seemed to think there had been a bit of a scare on after the Toledo incident, but that things had been relaxed again since. Of course all dogs should have their anti-rabies vacs, all have this written up into their paperwork, the vets keep records too, related to the microchip number, so a disc (which is so easily lost or chewed off) is not really of any use ...

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:34 pm

Unicorn wrote:I was just out with my dog, a Golden Retriever, who is muzzled, chipped, vaccinated and registered at the town hall and insured by Mapfre and bumped into another resident with her two and she tells me one now needs a disc to have on the collar from the vet confirming that the dog is vaccinated. If not A Fine!
This just could be Estepona, does anyone know anything about it?
That's really stupid, isn't it?
The dog should have a microchip fitted and a passport or certificate book showing vaccinations. A disc on a collar proves nothing as it is physically transferable from one dog to another.
Why on earth would we need duplication of the system?
As someone posted earlier there might be an economic reason, but there is no logical one.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:54 pm

More likely in my experience to be financial than logical. I suppose it would be pointless fining penniless villagers who cannot afford to eat, but Estepona is reasonably well off.
All we can do on this forum is to say what is happening where we are and warn others of possible changes in the rules or law. We all know everything varies area by area but fore-warned is fore-armed.
I always think of the police here as having one of those church steeple fund graphs and they are always looking for new ways to raise money. :evil: