Pill from packet into dog

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Unicorn
Resident

Pill from packet into dog

Postby Unicorn » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:47 pm

I am having to give my old dog tablets, antibiotics, for 10 days which will cure his smelly breath.
I seem to be able to fool him a couple of time disguising the pill but he gets wise so I have to engulf it in something else.
(I am, obviously, crushing the pill but his massive mouth seems to be able to reject pill and eat the goodies.)

Any bright ideas?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Pill from packet into dog

Postby gerryh » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:51 pm

Put the pill inside a piece of sausage.
Never been known to fail with our dogs.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:48 pm

I buy small metal foil packs of pate for dogs from Mercadona for 59 centimos. I cut them up into 6 portions and push the tablets (2 +1/2) into one of the pieces of the pate. He wolfs it down and then I give him a treat of a tirar de bacon. No probs! This is his treatment for leishmaniosis.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:04 pm

At the refuge we have a Mastin with Leish, he gets his tablet in a piece of hotdog sausage or a triangle of cheese. Our dog here has Leish, he too gets his tablet in a triangle cheese, or in his case, half a cheese, he is putting on weight!!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:14 pm

Or just open the dogs mouth, pop pill at back of throat, close mouth and hold shut until it swallows.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:45 pm

Enrique, I have to agree with you totally.
I have never pussie footed about with tablets and dogs, you need to remind them who is the boss.

Edit. I have just had a the word *beep* bleeped, it is what I call my cats. We are going backwards !!!

Donz.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Donz. » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:02 pm

show them who is boss? really? Very old school and not a great way to deal with our canine pals :thumbdown:

tablets in a titbit as described - perfect, then if they are still clever enough to get the tablet out of that, as you give it to them and they take it, tickle their throat to encourage them to swallow

A different titbit each day is useful if only for a 10 day stint. I sometimes put the tablet in a sliced hotdog then cover the opening with a bit of cream cheese (they aren't silly!)

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:55 pm

I think the dog pate idea is good,I shall try that. I am not sure about sausage. Isn't it full of preservatives etc.? I don't like to give him too much non-dog food. I didn't know about dog pate as I am always heaving 15 kg bags for him and not looking in the gourmet section.

I know about the back of the mouth and hold the mouth closed, but the poor old sod may get a bit stressed. He already knows who is boss. He will never eat without an OK (sometimes I forget and go in the kitchen later and he is still waiting for his OK).
It is only for 10 days.

Does anyone know if olive oil is OK for dogs. I have crushed pills in that before.

As ever, thank for all your suggestions.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:57 pm

Donz. wrote:show them who is boss? really? Very old school and not a great way to deal with our canine pals :thumbdown:
I knew that would get you going Nando. :)

I use Mercadona Roquefort paté. Works every time.
Brian.

Donz.
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Donz. » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:07 pm

Don not Nando :wink:

'most' dried dog food has more preservative in than ever - I wouldn't worry too much about a few pieces of hot dog or cheese

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:11 pm

I suppose you're right.

I remember my gran used to give her dog hard boiled sweets and saucers of milky sweet tea and he seemed to survive.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:06 am

Hi Unicorn,
Not seen any adverse reports on Olive oil, mine have had a daily dose with their food for the past seven years.
Hope your hiding the pill trick in a treat works, mine will separate the smallest pill from the tastiest treat. hence the direct pop in the mouth.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:56 am

Thanks. In fact olive oil is a good solution for crushed tablets, and I suppose it cannot do any harm as his back legs are starting to go and it should help.
The antibiotics are wonderful. He had a real case of dog-breath but even after 5 days his breath is like a summer meadow. I will obviously do all 10 days but what a result for 4 euros!

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:23 am

Enrique wrote:Hi Unicorn,
Not seen any adverse reports on Olive oil, mine have had a daily dose with their food for the past seven years.
Hope your hiding the pill trick in a treat works, mine will separate the smallest pill from the tastiest treat. hence the direct pop in the mouth.
Enrique - I don't know if your dog is the same as ours but our dog swallows meat virtually whole whereas he chews non-meat, including of course treats. So with treats he eats the whole thing and leaves the tablet on the floor. Very clever. So for 10 cents per day he not only gets his medicines but a mouthful of pate and a couple of treats.
Graham