Bringing our dogs to Spain

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Daisymay
Andalucia.com Amigo

Bringing our dogs to Spain

Postby Daisymay » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:26 pm

Hi, We are newbies to the site and this is our first post. Our question is about our 2 dogs both small, we lived in Cyprus where it is difficult to walk your dogs, the locals do not all like dogs and some of them poison them with a really nasty poison and unless you have the antidote and administer it quickly then there is no hope, walking off the lead was very difficult. Our question is how are the locals with well behaved dogs, are you allowed to let them off the lead in the country or around the lakes etc, I saw mention of muzzles what is the situation there. We are only at the first stages of looking at cave houses this summer looking towards future holidays and then retirement but need to know about our dogs, obviously they are very important to us. I know Spain has animal welfare problems like many countries, bad things happen in the uk too it's just not shown so much but it goes on.
Thank you in advance for your advice.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: Bringing our dogs to Spain

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:30 am

Welcome Daisymay to the Forum.. :wave:

I've never had any problems with Spanish regarding my pet dogs and I see daily many dogs being correctly exercised by local people, however they don't seem to bother much about cleaning up the dog mess..!
Of course there are many reports of animal cruelty but that really is a worldwide problem, I don't see Spain as any worse or better.
There is a big problem with stray dogs, and I know for sure that many expat Brits have contributed to this problem by discarding their pets when they leave.
You only need muzzles if the dog is over a certain weight, so don't see any problems with your dogs.

Regards,
Gordon

Gasman
Resident

Re: Bringing our dogs to Spain

Postby Gasman » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:47 pm

Hi DaisyMay, and welcome to the forum.
Since you have previously been in Cyprus, I expect you are aware of the Mediterranean diseases ... Ehrlichia, Leishmania, Filaria (heartworm), etc etc ... you need to know that they are not only present in southern Spain, but it is reckoned to be the most dangerous area in Europe for them - right next to Africa :crazy: So you do need to take preventive measures with Scalibor, Advantix, Frontline, etc etc and get to know a good vet ASAP. Dogs should have a microchip for identification, a pet passport, up to date vaccinations (Rabies and general), and of course once you get here, you will want to keep the vaccs up to date.

As to Muzzles, it seems to very much depend on the area you end up in - here in Huelva province I have never seen any dog in a muzzle, except in the vet's clinic for a dog whose history is unknown (rescue dog). Most dog walkers out in the campo leave their dogs off leash to roam - this is not necessarily a good idea as there may be shepherds, or cow herdsmen, or hunters about :thumbdown: - we tend to keep ours on leash, except in certain areas where we know the risks or lack of. Most spanish folk either have a big dog, often Mastin types, which is kept penned or chained up, or the other extreme which is a cute lapdog which rules the roost in the house. They consider the spectacle of well trained dog at Heel, something strange, and often comment on how unusual it is to see an obedient dog!! :angel:

You should avoid taking your dogs to known hunting areas - they are accused of disturbing the game, and sometimes hunters do leave out poisoned carcasses :sick: You could be prosecuted (Denuncia) for wrecking the game-setup, and it does upset the locals .... Incidentally rotting (not poisened) carcasses are often left after the hunters (legal or otherwise) have cut off the useful bits of the boar or deer, and leave the rest in the scrubbery - not nice! :thumbdown:

There is a big problem of abandoned and ill-treated dogs - as a dog lover you could do worse than join a local Rescue group (Protectora) which could help you to meet people and improve your spanish as you help in a good cause :angel:

I hope you and your dogs settle well, wherever you decide to make your new home in Spain - Cheers :wave: