Bitten by a kitten!

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Georgie
Tourist

Bitten by a kitten!

Postby Georgie » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:10 am

Hi,
Just wondered if anyone can confirm the rabies situation is Spain??? :?:

I fed a stray kitten yesterday and it accidentally nipped the end of my finger. It wasn't aggressive, just very hungry. I moved the bowl at the wrong moment and the kitten clearly thought my finger was a bit of food! The bite was very shallow and small but it slightly broke the skin and I have a cut about 3mm long.

I had a tetanus shot about 4 years ago (plus I had all my required shots as a child). I understand they last about 10 years so i don't think I need another. I know cats carry bacteria in their mouths so I shall keep an eye on the tiny wound but it all looks fine.

However I thought i should check the rabies thing.... As far as I'm aware the Health Protection Agency says that Spain is a 'no risk' country, ie there's no indiginous cases of rabies - (excpet bats!) and the only cases of rabies seen in the last 30 years have been in imported dogs. So I don't think there is any need to worry....????????

Can any Vets or suitably informed people confirm? Thanks very much.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Bitten by a kitten!

Postby El Cid » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:35 am

Georgie wrote:
However I thought i should check the rabies thing.... As far as I'm aware the Health Protection Agency says that Spain is a 'no risk' country, ie there's no indiginous cases of rabies - (excpet bats!) and the only cases of rabies seen in the last 30 years have been in imported dogs. So I don't think there is any need to worry....????????

Can any Vets or suitably informed people confirm? Thanks very much.
I would think that the Health Protection agency and the WHO would be better informed than anyone on a forum. I wouldn't be worried about rabies, but more people have died from a cat bite than from rabies.

Their teeth go deep and their mouths have some nasty bacteria. I always treat a scratch/bite with antiseptic cream immediately.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-he ... -humans/63

Sid

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:48 pm

El Cid wrote:I would think that the Health Protection agency and the WHO would be better informed than anyone on a forum. I wouldn't be worried about rabies, but more people have died from a cat bite than from rabies.

Their teeth go deep and their mouths have some nasty bacteria. I always treat a scratch/bite with antiseptic cream immediately
Sadly, one of my friends recently died from a neglected scratch from a pet cat. His wife eventually ignored his protestations and called for an ambulance but he died later that night in intensive care from Septicemia.
Sandramay

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:30 pm

Yes, it happened to a friend of a friend recently. The important thing is to treat the wound immediately with some antiseptic. Usually it is just a minor bite or scratch, but if it is a really deep bite then go to the hospital immediately.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:56 pm

I wasn't aware that cat bites/scratches could be that dangerous to humans.
We have six cats so an occasional scratch happens although we usually wash the area with some antiseptic liquid we have.
I suppose I've been lucky. The most recent bite was when our latest cat was a small kitten. She jumped onto our low terrace wall and down the other side which is not low. I leant over to pick her up by the scruff but she sunk her teeth into my hand first and I lifted her back over the wall that way.
We did keep an eye on the bite area to see if it got hot or swollen.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:50 pm

A few years ago my brother's cat bit me two days before I was due to go on holiday.
We''ve had cats for years and i should have recognised the signs,ie tail swishing while I was stroking him.
He'd obviously had enough and bit me ,not deep but he held it for a few seconds.
The next day I had a raging headache my arm had swollen up and the veins in my arm were red like someone had run a red marker pen up them.
Straight into hospital,injections and a course of antibiotics.
The quack said I'd been lucky as a cats mouth is toxic to humans and I had the early stages of blood poisoning.
Was able to go on holiday as planned with a warning to get to a hospital if it got worse.
Same year I fell into a bonfire...but that's another story!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:20 pm

Nimrod wrote: Same year I fell into a bonfire...but that's another story!
Your real name wouldn't be Guy would it?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:38 pm

Joan :lol:
(not really)

Chica56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Chica56 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:09 pm

Cat bites have far more bacteria in them than dog bites so should be taken far more seriously