Heartworm in dogs

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Heartworm in dogs

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:25 pm

We have rescued a galgo, she has been diagnosed with heartworm-I was given the results today, I have been told the number is 0.26 IP what ever that means. She is in a refuge at the moment and was due to head off for adoption to the UK next month,
I need to get her started on medication for heart worm and Leishmania too. Hopefully the leishmania medication will not be too expensive, our dogs treatment was not, but he is just small. Any idea on the treatment for heartworm? I need to advise the lady who is sponsoring her. I know it is a difficult question to answer, I just want to give the lady an idea of what it could cost. I will go and collect the dog on Monday, as the refuge do not want her there, it is not the refuge I help at, we are overflowing with dogs so could not take her. I will then take her to a vet for treatmment.

kexon
Resident

Re: Heartworm in dogs

Postby kexon » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:22 pm

I know a while ago a discussion was had on this thread about heartworm medication,including a new injection once a year,so you might be able to find the info on here.The Leish meds are much cheaper and can also be purchased online from UK,cheaper than the vets as long as you ensure correct dosage.