law on transporting dog in car?

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
olive
Andalucia Guru

law on transporting dog in car?

Postby olive » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:14 am

Just wondering if there are any laws in Spain (that are enforced) about carrying dogs in a car?

It makes sense not to have one on say the back seat in case of an emergency stop - the same as not having heavy loose shopping on the back seat. Are dogs supposed to be restrained e.g. fastened to a hook?

knowal
Resident

Re: law on transporting dog in car?

Postby knowal » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:45 am

Small dogs can be carried in a pet carrier.
Larger dogs can be carried with a harness anchored to a seat belt point in the rear.
Dogs can also be carried in the rear of a car using a dog guard.
The proviso is that the dog must not be able to interfere with the driver and must not be likely to cause injury in the event of a collision.

More here:
http://www.dgt.es/revista/archivo/pdf/n ... scotas.pdf

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:07 pm

So not sitting on the driver's lap whilst he (the driver, not the dog) is on the 'phone, as I see so often!

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:41 pm

Just as well the police aren't in the habit of carrying dogs in their patrol cars. If they did, then they'd bound to be loose and unsecured, in keeping with their long-standing habit of not wearing seat belts....and of course, parking on pedestrian crossings to drop into the tobacconist! At least I haven't seen one of them issue a ticket to a driver, for a while now, while all the time puffing away on a cigar.

I remember the day in Sussex I stopped a patrol car by pulling in front of it, just to let the two officers know that their Blue Light was about to detach itself from their vehicle's roof. Wouldn't think of trying that here! :think:
Chris