Scalibor collar

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Scalibor collar

Postby oliveview01 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:40 pm

Our dogs all have Scalibor collars, they have had them on for 2 months now, the only problem was me, I had an allergic reaction after fitting 5! This evening I had our JR on my lap checking her over and noticed she had a very sore looking patch under her collar, on her throat area. She is the sort of dog who makes a real fuss about being hurt, but she has not given us any sign of being in discomfort.
Has anyone else's dog had a reaction like this to a scalibor collar? It was not tight, it was just kind of snug, as the directions said. I have taken it off for now and bathed her neck with antiseptic.

ValL
Resident

Re: Scalibor collar

Postby ValL » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:50 am

Yes one of my friends has a dog that had a bad reaction to them. I don't think that dog has one anymore. My previous vet was against them for my dog so I never tried them.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:30 am

Yes, my yorkie had the same reaction so he now has drops instead - no problems now.

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:01 pm

One of our dog had a bad reaction also.If my memory is correct when we checked ingredients one had changed or another added,our dog had never had a reaction before.I understand that you should not take the collar out of the packet and put onto the dog straight away,but leave the collar out of the packet for 24 hours before use,it didn't work for our dog but it may be worth a try.

Chica56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Chica56 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:35 pm

I use Advantix now but one or two of my dogs find this quite irritating also, but less so than the Scalibor which should always be left for 24 hours to 48 hours before putting on a dog and remember it works by being in contact with the dog´s skin so must be fairly tight not just hanging loose.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:28 pm

Our dog wasn´t allergic to the scalibor, the vet said it was something I can´t remember but also known as a ´hot spot´ he said she had an infection caused by a tiny cut/scratch getting infected. Sunday evening she had a big ´wet´patch on her neck, the other sore bit had dried up. Her throat was very swollen, so off we went to the vet first thing Monday- she is on antibiotics for 20 days and Dacortin tablets for 10 days in all. She took to her bed yesterday- I think she was a man in a previous life! The vet said it will be 3-4 days before any improvement (the new patch is quite big :shock: ) Poor doggy, she is never ill :( She is milking it for all it´s worth now though :lol: