Tick season is upon us

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Tick season is upon us

Postby Wicksey » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:43 am

Woke up with one attached to my forehead :sick: , no sooner dispatched that when I woke later with another crawling up my neck :shock: . Only seen one on any of our 4 cats so far .... they obviously prefer us!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Tick season is upon us

Postby Enrique » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:47 am

Hi Wicksey,

I've started Advantix on my three dogs..........after the winter break.......... :D
Last edited by Enrique on Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:35 am

Our neighbour had loads in her house!!! Last year was terrible at the refuge, we had never had such a bad year. I took one dog to the vet for a severe haircut, he had long fur, he had been treated, but still had around 200 ticks! Poor dog! He is now my dog, I failed as a foster mum! He has had his hair cut short, scalibor collar on and hopefully he will stay clear this year. Monday we will buy the advantix treatment for the dog allergic to the scalibor collar and get the cats treatment too.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:33 pm

Try cider vinegar diluted with water in a spray and spray on the dog's undercarriage. It deters ticks and insects from attaching. Also a little in the dog's water can help.

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:19 pm

Cider vinegar sounds good,any rough idea of quantities of vinegar to standard water spray bottle?

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:31 pm

I put about 40% cider to water and the dog is still alive. And a few drops in the drinking water puts it in the system.
http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/acvfordogs.html
This website is helpful.

For anyone who doesn't know ticks can be removed with a drop of tea tree oil which has a natural antiseptic, or olive oil. It dislodges the whole tick and not just the body.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:06 pm

We rarely find ticks actually attached to our cats, they just seem to ride in on their coat, to then jump off into our bed. Mercadona do a natural spot-on treatment that smells very strongly of citronella. I may give that a go to see if it deters the ticks from getting on in the first place.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:02 pm

Don't think I fancy ticks in the bed, perhaps keeping moggie out of bedroom might help too.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:24 pm

Took our dog to the vet today for annual rabies jab, on the table I noticed he had two new as yet not sucking ticks. The vet sprayed something on them labelled frontline and then just wiped them away.

I came away with an excaliber collar. So will see how it goes. The Mercadona drops don't seem to deter the blighters.

Is there an end to the season?

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:34 pm

We find that a quick direct quirt of Frontline is the best to get rid of an attached tick on the dog - each dog will occasionally pick one up inspite of wearing Scalibor collar and having Advantix or Stronghold on as well.
Generally there are two seasons - the spring one is now in full swing and the ticks collect in the long fresh spring grass and undergrowth waiting for a bit of warm-blooded flesh to trot by so they can cadge a lift - the worst period seems to be from February to April/May. As the grass dries off, unless the dog is going to visit stagnant ponds, you find that in summer there is far less activity. The second season is when the autumn rains get the vegetation going again and can be any time from September/October til cold sets in in November/December ... this year has been quite warm here so there has hardly been a quiet winter period this time. Having said all that, it is best to give your animals preventative measures all year round! These measures also reduce the likelihood of getting leishmania, filaria, anaplasma, erlichia, etc etc from ticks, mosquitos, sandfly etc etc.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:15 pm

Hi,
Some info on what Advantix does and what to expect.................

http://www.animalhealth.bayer.com/4864.0.html
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.