Dogs- shops, bars and public places

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Dogs- shops, bars and public places

Postby olive » Sat May 03, 2014 3:55 pm

Are there any places you cannot take a well behaved dog? It isn't on the dangerous dogs list!

e.g. on a train (e.g. airport to city centre?), into Media Markt, cafe, bar that serves food (alright outside but not indoors?), restaurant, beach.

Are there any laws e.g muzzling? must be on a lead?

Unicorn
Resident

Re: Dogs- shops, bars and public places

Postby Unicorn » Sun May 04, 2014 9:09 pm

It seems to vary from place to place. Here in Estepona all dogs over 20 kilos have to be muzzled, all dogs have to have the rabies disc on their collar and along with normal registration, chipping etc they also have to be registered at the town hall. Although I suspect I am the only one who does these things.
The also expect dogs to be cleaned up after and are forbidden from the beaches.
For a peaceful place Estepona seems to have an abnormally large police force so I guess they have to be kept busy.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon May 05, 2014 12:27 pm

Is it just dogs over 20kg have to be registered or all the dogs, even a small titch of a dog? We have only ever found one dog with a microchip at our refuge- which was one hell of a shame- the ´owner´ had been using her for breeding, we had to return her to him sadly. He had ´loaned´ her out to a friend to mate with his dog.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon May 05, 2014 1:13 pm

All dogs, cats and ferrets have to be chipped and have rabies jabs and the details have to be entered on their pet passport.

Big dogs with certain characteristics and certain specified breeds have to be registered at the town hall and you have to prove you are physically and mentally able to own and control them and have €100k insurance. They must be muzzled at all time when not in secure premises.

http://www.mapausa.org/eng/nc_3.htm

That law aplies to the whole of Spain but local authorities can expand on these rules.

That said, no one seems to take a blind bit of notice of this law - when did you last see a dog with a muzzle?

Sid

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Mon May 05, 2014 2:00 pm

When I took him out this morning Sid.

My dog is a Golden and kids are always running up to him waving lollies and the like under his nose so I do not mind the muzzle really. The one he wears is a cross between a haltie and a muzzle, so no pulling either.

Actually, to be fair, I see more and more around here, which implies that the police in this area are stopping (and fining) dog owners. And it is a real rarity to see a stray these days.

Olive, it is all dogs that have to be registered, both with their passports and at the town hall here. Obviously other places will vary.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon May 05, 2014 3:51 pm

Our dog is chipped, pet passport up to date.

I am quite sure the rules in the campo are quite different to those in say Malaga. just wanted to be prepared.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon May 05, 2014 4:08 pm

In the Campo the rules are the same................its just they aren't enforced.

I've seen dogs in the Arrivals area at Malaga airport every time I've been down there.

Not seen any dogs with muzzles in our local town this year either.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Tue May 06, 2014 11:21 am

I have seen Staffy types muzzled in town, wearing the soft ones. I know a handbag sized dog that needs a muzzle!

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Tue May 06, 2014 6:14 pm

Dogs are allowed on middle distance trains ?! as long as no one objects ? ! they are not allowed on buses. I thought they were no longer allowed in shops although I have seen dogs tied up at the cabinets you put your already purchased goods and also one being carried round my local El Jamon.

Dogs are not allowed on many beaches from April to October but some are no dogs at all. I have never seen it being enforced on any of the beaches I have been on with or without my dog.

The tapas bars I use have no problem with dogs outdoors, I would not ask about inside as I would not like to be eating indoors with dogs around.