Flies, flies and more flies

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
megan242
Tourist

Flies, flies and more flies

Postby megan242 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:54 am

Hi

I'm looking for home made remedies for repelling flies. We live in the campo between two goat farms and as soon as the weather warms up we are swamped with flies, both outside and in.

They are mainly in the kitchen and seem to appear when the sun rises in the morning. An hour before sunrise - there are none. Then suddenly loads appear. Can they be breeding in the kitchen? I make sure that there is no food, crumbs or water left out in the kitchen and the outside door is closed unless we are going through it. None of our other rooms have this problem, we get an occasionally one or two but no more. Outside is a different matter though and we have given up trying to sit outside in the warm weather.

Does anybody else have this problem?
How do you deal with the flies?

ajtg1952
Resident

Re: Flies, flies and more flies

Postby ajtg1952 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:27 pm

Try Red Top fly trap. I use 3 equally spaced around the house and about 15m each from the house.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:31 pm

Hi,
Clear drinks bottles filled with water and hung around outside.

Those sticky fly strips outside and inside.

Put some fish waste in a drinks bottles( leave top off) and hang on edge of property.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

probe
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby probe » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:36 pm

Not so sure about a "home-made" remedy. We bought one of the electric zappers from the ferreteria (€30) that has the UV light and fan on (commonly seen in butchers) and this does the trick in the kitchen at the time of year when flies bother us.

Probe

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:35 pm

We used to use the Red Top fly traps. They certainly killed plenty of flies but we got the impression the smell attracted replacement flies and gave up on them.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:13 pm

It's great fun to use those battery powered fly zappers like badminton racquets that they sell in the Chinese shops.
Gives you the power of life or death.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:10 am

Our house is like Fort Knox with mozzie nets at the windows and a good quality heavy 'bead' curtain at the front door. We never get flies in but are plagued by tiny minature mozzies that bite like a pinprick and drive us nuts. We have every machine and spray under the sun but cannot stop being bitten at night. They are so tiny that even when you do see them any attempt to swat them just wafts them away.

Have you checked everywhere in the kitchen Megan - behind the fridge etc? We once left our house for a 2 week holiday all shuttered up and everything closed up, and came back to a huge swarm of 1000s of flies that had managed to somehow get in through all the closed windows and doors .... it was a nightmare. It is still a mystery how they got in.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:26 pm

Enrique wrote:Hi,
Clear drinks bottles filled with water and hung around outside.

Those sticky fly strips outside and inside.

Put some fish waste in a drinks bottles( leave top off) and hang on edge of property.
Yes we've done all that .& the plastic bags with water & plated washers in & everything else that can possibly be thought of ! :lol: Doesn't solve the problem. We are inundated with them as well , except that we don't have any farms with goats or anything else. Best is 3 horses & a few sheep next door. Then again at my friends it is the same & he doesn't even have that ?
It has always been the same here, just some years are worse than others.
Here it is indescribable. If in the mornings I go around the olive trees having damp hair then the flies, normal flies not midges gnats or whatever, fall upon me . It is akin to a pirhana feeding frenzy.
You cannot do anything anywhere. The real problem with them is even though they are ordinary flies, they bite. People don't believe you , until they are bitten themselves !
If I have to work outside then the only thing that will prevent them staying on me is I spray myself with fly spray.Arms ,legs, under arms , neck , etc.
The slightest amount of water in sunlight will have ooo's of them about within a few minutes.

The fly chains on the doors. Well I've watched the flies & they will land on the chain & execute a roll through the larger hoop of the chain link !! Useless on their own
I have chains on both doors & then mosquito strips over the chains.
MY nephew & his wife were sitting outside until easter before the flies became too much for them. I don't sit outside at all as one is too much for me & it isn't even worth considering eating outside .
I don't do much without a can of fly spray , even to get in the car. It doesn't help being black & they'll be all over it & there's no way I go anywhere with even 1 fly inside the car . Same as I do not slepp if there is even one in the house.

The only way to clear your kitchen is to gas the whole room , shut the doors & leave them to die. I use YUKi or ROJo (? one with lion on )& it will kill them in no time at all.
I used toi spray all the walls/floors outside & the workshops etc; with a product called Diazopol

http://www.farmaciaveterinaria.es/index ... ts_id=1785

Which is supposed to kill everything including flies & prevent breeding but although it worked , it never worked as you would expect.
There isn't any answer except blow the place up & move. :lolno:
Todos somos Lorca.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:22 pm

https://www.google.es/search?q=www.aska ... 3&ie=UTF-8

This is using one of my favourite things- cider vinegar. Hope it helps. :thumbup:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:01 pm

A dab of nenuco Colonia for babies seems to put them off from divebombing you at least...it explains that faintly sweet smell of most of the little old ladies (also works well on dogs!)
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:45 pm

peteroldracer wrote:A dab of nenuco Colonia for babies seems to put them off from divebombing you at least...it explains that faintly sweet smell of most of the little old ladies (also works well on dogs!)
Nenuco repels dogs? That's excellent. :wink:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:00 pm

White Horse wrote: Nenuco repels dogs? That's excellent. :wink:
I wish... :|
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.