Vaccinations for Leish- the price?

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Vaccinations for Leish- the price?

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:03 pm

Do you know what is the price of the vaccination for Leish? We are having a dog adopted within Spain and the dog has tested negitive for Med diseases and the family want the refuge to get the leish vaccinations started.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Vaccinations for Leish- the price?

Postby gerryh » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:17 pm

I know the thread is over 2 years old but it does give an indication of prices paid.
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=27972&p=265180#p265180
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:03 pm

At our vets it is 30€ for the blood test plus 50€ for each of the 3 initial vaccinations then 50€ per booster annually.
Brian.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:46 pm

Thanks for the replies, I will send a message to the adopting family.

:thumbup:

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:58 pm

Oliveview - Sorry to hijack your thread, as this really about treatment, rather than the preventative vaccination ... We have a dog in foster care from the Protectora here who has only mild symptoms but has tested quite strongly for the Leishmania. We started her on Glucantime injections under the skin on her shoulders, and, as is apparently happening in dogs more and more frequently recently, this area has gone all hard and swollen :crazy: .... so she cannot tolerate the Glucantime ... What to do?
Leisguard seems to be the thing - it is apparently much easier to tolerate than Glucantime, or the other treatment of choice Milteforan and though it may not be useful in dogs with SEVERE symptoms, is a good way to treat young dogs, dogs with mild symptoms, dogs with liver or kidney problems .... and it is CHEAP - less than 20 euros per pack, though you may need 2 packs for the average sized dog to do the dosage over the recommended 28 days.
I know you come across many cases of Leish in your work with the refuge and I wonder if you have come across this Leisguard? It does seem to answer a lot of problems. Apparently after the initial month treatment, tests should be done to see how well the Leish is being subdued, and may need repeating ... but at this kind of price, at least it is affordable for rescue dogs!!! :thumbup:
The blurb also informs us that it can be used as a preventative measure where dogs do not yet have the disease but may be at risk, so could be an alternative to the vaccination in some cases, always using Scalibor or Advantix in conjunction. :angel:
Cheers, and keep up the good work with your mutts and pups. :wave:
I will try to let you know how this dog gets on.
http://www.esteve.es/EsteveFront/Cargar ... sp&div=par
http://www.farmaciadelsol.eu/lng/en/lei ... 60-ml.html

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:20 pm

Hi Gasman,
One of your links...............
http://www.farmaciadelsol.eu/lng/en/pet ... 60-ml.html

If you use the URL tab from the posting box links will come on toThe Forum ok.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:27 pm

Many thanks Gasman- I will read it properly later and keep a note of the treatment. :thumbup:

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:38 pm

PS - It is even cheaper on here and The Pet Shop Boys also donate to Protectoras with their sales, so you may be able to get your refuge on there too!!
http://www.thepetshopboys.es/leisguard- ... erros.html