What to do with a cat

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Mowser
Andalucia Guru

What to do with a cat

Postby Mowser » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:06 pm

We now have a cat. Don't ask me why.

A black cat - obviously not a stray - has been on our roof terrace for quite a while. We fed it and bought it a cat bed and placed it outside the top door. The area there is fully protected from wind and rain. A month or so back, the cat came into the house and seemed to like it. We let her stay but put her out at night.

Two weeks ago we gave in and let her stay. She now has ready access to come and go as she pleases. The problem is that she rarely goes out. If she does, it's for an hour or so then she's back in. She seems quite content to remain in the house most of the time.

Is this normal? We have never been cat owners and we haven't a clue about cats, so any help would be appreciated.
Dave

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: What to do with a cat

Postby Enrique » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:38 pm

H Mowser,
Sounds about right.............you got checked out and now she is happy with the setup will come and go as pleases her.
We have a cat in Spain, spends a lot of the summer out and about, now the rains have returned to the mountain stays in for long periods.

If it is still on catchup........BBC Cat Watch would be an interesting for you to watch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04lcqvq
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:09 pm

All of the cats we have had (lost count how many over the years) have been rescue cats from charities, or as in the case of the latest addition he that just turned up at the house.

They seem to be surprisingly quick at recognising our bed as somewhere to spend the night and although they often spend time asleep outside in various favourite spots during the day, they usually choose to be indoors with us in the evening especially when the weather turns cold. In the winter they fight for the best spot in front of the fire. Ours don't go that far from the house so I guess they feel safe and secure here, as your new cat does in her new home.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:14 pm

Mowser. You have it slightly wrong: you don't have a cat, the cat has you :lol:
You should consider a slight change of alias to Miaowser?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:34 pm

Thanks so far peeps! Another question. The cat has a bald patch on the left side of her mouth. It isn't inflamed - it's just bald with what looks like a few pierced bits. I tried to take a picture but she moved.
Dave

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:26 pm

She may have been in a fight, or she may have rubbed the fur off (?toothache?). I'm assuming you haven't so far taken her to the vet - probably an idea to get her thoroughly checked out/ vaccinated/ ?speyed... :D
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:43 pm

Will contact vet once I can get her into the travel cage. So far she has resisted every attempt.
Last week she went out the front door and sniffed around a rose bush. Maybe that's partly the cause.
I have noticed that when she grooms herself, she always drags her paw down on the same side of her face.
She doesn't show any sign of distress. I probed her face a bit and she seemed not to bother.
Why oh why did I ever agree to let the beast inside?
(There is a reason but I'll not post it here).
Dave

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:02 am

Don't try to force her into the travel cage - try letting her go in to get a tipbit you put in there for her. Don't close the door. Let her come and go into it several times before you finally close the door, each time for her favourite treat, then open it immediately and let her out - if she wants to come out ... Try feeding her inside the cage, again with the door open so she feels comfortable in there. Finally when she is happy going inside, close the door, pick the cage up, put it down, and leave her inside to settle. Try that a couple of times too ... With luck and patience she will now be ready for a visit to the vet! Do all this if you can by putting the cage at her favourite resting place.

And you won't be covered in cat scratches and she won't be traumatised!!

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:04 am

I forgot to mention - I agree with comments above - unless you adopt a kitten, cats choose you rather than you choosing the cat ... even then if the kitten isn't happy it will wander off and find its choice of cat-keeper. You are honoured that she wants to make her home with you!! :crazy:

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:09 am

I think I've identified the mark on her face. She was a bit wary yesterday and today going outside to the terrace. We checked and there was a cat there. This is a cat that usually comes to our front door. This cat also has new scratches. It was probably a fight. Sheesh.

Thanks for tip re travel cage. I'll start that now.
Dave

Chica56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Chica56 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:04 am

If there are cats fighting look out for any swelling on her paws as cats can get infections from invisible puncture wounds. She will need antibiotics if so.........congratulations! You are now officially a servant........

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:16 pm

... some time later .... cat taken to vet last month and she got her first injection plus "frontline". Taking her back next week for 2nd injection. Vet confirmed she's a female and had been spayed, so no worries about kittens. Vet also said she wasn't a street cat. She has either been dumped, or just wandered off. She hadn't been chipped so we can't return her so I guess she's ours now. Vet also said she was overweight. Six kilos! We reduced her food and she has lost around half a kilo. Somebody said we should get her to lose weight gradually. I have no idea how, as this is our first pet. She rarely goes out so for exercise so I've bought her umpteen toys - laser lights, slinkys, wind-up mice etc etc. She's bored with them.I got another toy called "Catit Design Senses Super Roller Circuit Toy for Cats". She looked at it then tried it out an now ignores it. So after spending a small forune on the beast, I was fixing something yesterday with string, and she went mental. String is obviously her thing.

I don't like the litter tray so I forked out on an "Omega Paw semi-automatic litter tray." Best invention ever!

If anyone has tips to help her lose weight, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Dave

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:48 pm

What a lucky cat!
I find our cat's love their tiny little raggy mouse that has lost its tail, whiskers and ears. Also a piece of string tied onto the end of a piece of bamboo so I can wave it around and let them chase it is very popular. One thing that I thought they'd never like and was given by the vets one day as a free gift is a tunnel. They all love it and chase each other through it, go to sleep in it and roar through it like mad things.

The cat in the photo turned up as a skinny stray and now weighs over 5kgs which is a lot for him as his quite small build. With one cat it is easier for you to restrict their food. A friend weighs out a certain amount of biscuits each day (there's usually a guide on the packet) and won't let them have more than that, whereas our four always have access to bowls of biscuits.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:18 pm

If you want something interesting to do with the cat - try a cat wash!

How to wash a cat

1. Put both lids of the toilet up and add 1/8 cup of pet shampoo to the water in the bowl...

2. Pick up the cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom.

3. In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close the lid. You may need to stand on the lid.

4. At this point the cat will self agitate and make ample suds. Never mind the noises that come from the toilet, the cat is actually enjoying this!

5. Flush the toilet three or four times. This provides a 'Power-Wash' and 'Rinse'.

6. Have someone open the front door of your home. Be sure that there are no people between the bathroom and the front door.

7. Stand well back, behind the toilet as far as you can, and quickly lift the lid.

8. The cat will rocket out of the toilet, streak through the bathroom, and run outside where he will dry himself off.

9. Both the toilet and the cat will be sparkling clean.

Sid

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:37 pm

Sid ... erm thanks but no.
Dave

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:44 pm

Nice one Sid. :thumbup:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:54 pm

I actually had to wash one of my cats once. It was when we were living on our boat and he got into the engine compartment and came out covered in oil from the bilges!

I didn't try the loo flush option, but had to put him in the sink and shampoo him. I still have the scars!

Sid

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:32 pm

I think I've posted this before, but thought it might come in handy again now... :wink:

How to give a cat a pill...
1. Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat’s mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks. As mouth opens, pop pill in. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.
2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.
3. Retrieve cat from bathroom and throw soggy pill away.
4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of 10.
5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse.
6. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below spouse’s armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force cat’s mouth open and blow pill down drinking straw.
7. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply plaster to spouse’s forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.
8. Ring fire brigade to retrieve cat from tree across road. Apologise to neighbour who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.
9. Tie cat’s front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table. Find heavy-duty pruning gloves from shed. Force cat’s mouth open with small spanner. Push pill into mouth followed by a large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour half a pint of water down throat to wash pill down.
10. Get spouse to drive you to casualty. Sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Stop at furniture shop on way home to order new dining table.
11. Arrange for vet to make a housecall.
:D

PS Wow I've just noticed I am a Guru :lol:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Buffy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Buffy » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:00 pm

Still a good one Chrissie! Congrats on your elevated status oh wise one :clap:

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:25 pm

i wouldn't worry that the puss likes to stay in the house.Over 50 years we've had loads of cats and you get to understand a little bit about their ways.
We live in a flat and the people above have a "flat cat".I don't mean squashed.
He's perfectly happy sleeping,getting stroked,eating etc.
Don't try to alter his habits...he's happy doing what he does.