Has any cat in the world ever swallowed a tablet

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Re: Has any cat in the world ever swallowed a tablet

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:01 pm

Nice one Wicksey........great cats you have there.

This little girl is so affected we really haven't laughed as much in years. Some of the antics are unfathomable, even when we explain them to long term cat owners.

House would seem empty without her...............even though she's cost us our summer holidays whilst she grows up :mrgreen:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:16 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:

However that's not the whole story, she fly's up to bed when we go up and snuggles down, then it's trip after trip up and down stairs bringing and dragging every toy she has up the stairs and on to the bed.............this rigmarole takes another hour :mrgreen:
One of our cats was being fostered before we had him. His foster mum gave us his favourite toy, a very small duck toy, to take with him. For the last 6 years, he has brought it into our bedroom in the middle of the night. That would not normally present a problem, but he carries it in his mouth like a mother cat would do with a tiny kitten, and sings to it in a very high pitched wailing voice.

He then drops it on the floor and cuddles it while purring loudly. Sometimes it goes out into the garden with him - same routine except that we have to hunt for it and replace it under the coffee table where it lives for the rest of the time.

Another cat never covers his dump in the litter tray. Number 2 cat has appointed himself loo monitor and goes in after and buries it.

The youngest cat clearly has a foot fetish. In the morning, while we are waking up, he's under the covers and plonks himself down on one of my feet and spends ten minutes washing the other!

When it's time for us to get up (in their opinion) it's Zededee time, they all get on the bed and jump up and down until we let them out.

I cannot imagine how boring it would be without them.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:40 pm

Love that Sid!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:52 pm

OCD= obsessive cat disorder? Yep, very familiar with that. :lol:
Our little girl will not use the loo while we're out. She usually goes on her litter as soon as we get home, as if she's been waiting for us. A bit worrying if we want to go away for a couple of days. She also has a habit of going just as we sit down to eat - which wouldn't be a problem if she could manage it on her own, but like DA's moggie, she'll dig and dig until she has a good size hole...and then instead of pooing in it, stands in it with her bum often overhanging the tray. No matter where the plops land, she'll then go bananas trying to bury it (even if it's not actually in the tray), including mad scraping of the plastic edges. She then neglects to do her proper cleaning, preferring to let her humans do the job with a baby wipe (why bother when you have servants?), except that she prefers OH to me, and will run and hide under the bed if it's my turn on the rota (OH says it must be because I use my nails :shock: )
When the litter gets emptied and cleaned, she'll hang around bothering us until the job is completed and new gravel put in, and then will immediately pee in it. (Marking her territory presumably?)

She only has dry food - won't consider anything else, which makes life easy because we simply maintain her bowl with nuts in it at all times (she never over eats), except that she wants an audience. Especially if we're immersed in a good movie, or a captivating soccer match. She'll come and sit staring at us until one of us gives in and walks with her (we must be on her left at all times) to the kitchen and her bowl. Shortly after that she will come and stare again, and we have to follow her (on her left) to whichever water bowl she chooses. There are plenty, but not on the floor - they are in her favourite places on the bathroom units, kitchen work surfaces etc. Of course she can jump up on these, but again, why bother when you can make your slave lift you? Sometimes she will stare at the fridge first, which she has trained us to understand means she wants an ice cube in her bowl. But usually she just wants us to put a finger in the bowl so that she can lick the water off our finger, presumably because she prefers a slight salinity to her drink.

Every time OH gets out of the shower, she insists (on pain of death) on being picked up and cuddled, and goes nuts headbutting and rubbing her while she's still dripping wet, resulting in a nice white fur coat. Re-marking her property, I guess?

At night, she comes to bed with us (that's normal, right?) and allows us at least 2 hours sleep before nudging us awake. And when I say nudging, I mean a veritable beating up. Simon's cat (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ffwDYo00Q) has nothing on this mog. And then it's off on another round of food bowl/water bowl #1/ water bowl #2 etc. etc.

You would think this bitch was born into royalty, but in fact we found her at about a year old, near starving, thin and bedraggled, scrounging food from the cafe next door. We (I) invited her in one day when she followed me home, and she's never left since. It's like she owns the place, and always has.

Love her to bits and wouldn't be without her :D
Last edited by Miro on Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:12 pm

OH and myself laughed at that Miro :mrgreen:

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:55 pm

Love these stories :D

Reading about the cat on the bed reminded me of when I first met my hubby, who owned the ginger whinger (she didn't miaow, but squawked like a parrot !). She had got used to sleeping on the empty side of his bed, and she wasn't going to give it up easily to this newcomer (me !), so she'd wait until I was curled up asleep and then settle down on the space where my legs had been. When I briefly woke, and stretched, she was shot across the room like a ball out of a cannon.
Not a happy puss, and we never got on after that !!
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:49 am

Of course, our little darling is excused almost anything, but occasionally she can be a very naughty little tyke, overplaying and lashing out too viciously, scratching OH (I don't mind the odd scratch, but OH gets quite upset). When this happened I used to put her in her jaula (carrying box), which is kept in "her" bathroom in the unused shower which now serves as storage for cat paraphernalia, for a few minutes of contemplation.
However...she now every so often takes herself off there voluntarily and gets in for a little snooze, so that's no longer an option. We think perhaps it's some form of self punishment, buying credits for future misdemeanors. :?
At least we don't have any problem getting her in at "that time of year" when we go to see her GP. :D

Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:26 pm

Lovely stories .... glad ours aren't just the nutty ones! Every cat has its own little ways and habits (often bad :D ) and I'd hate to be without at least one in the house.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:08 pm

She's just finished 2 hours of playing "chase the raindrops"...........the leaps up the window have been comical.

Fast asleep now so we are sneaking out for a few hours. Cries are relentless if we go out whilst she's awake.

She's grown a bit in the last week too!!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:59 pm

She is cute :D looks a bit Spanish too.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:52 pm

katy wrote: looks a bit Spanish too.
Hahahaha :lol:

LaFlaca
Tourist

Postby LaFlaca » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:57 am

I don´t trust Big Pharma so never give cats anything I have to pay for from them if possible. Is that wrong?

Worms - pestle and mortar + lemon pips. Mix in with food. (have finally got some wormwood seeds, going to try these next)
Hair balls - groom them with a nit comb. Turns out most cats love the attention after first few times. Olive oil in their food helps lots too.
Fleas - same nit comb.
Ear treatment - that thing that looks like coffee grounds - go ask your pharmacist for the bottle and a 5 ml syringe but garlic works just as well.
Antibiotics - if needed, in emergencies, put it on a spoon and let them lick it, all of mine do. Never forced them. (Vibracina?)
cuts and Injuries - salt water and/or hydrogen peroxide
Major health issues - let them die at home (lost 4 cats last year to a genetic heart disorder.). Let them be with you not in a surgery.

Diet: raw food. Lizards seem to be good!

Saves you a fortune. Most times we interfere where really not required. I am still trying to get that book by the authoress Chris mentions in the Driving Over Lemons series. Can anyone remember her name pls?

jacqueline someone?