Advice on how to get my dog to Calais

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Bollywilbrey

Advice on how to get my dog to Calais

Postby Bollywilbrey » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:23 pm

Hello all.

I was just wondering if anybody had any advice, tips or contacts on how myself and my partner could get from Granada to Calais in France with our puppy. We adopoted a 5 week old puppy that we found on the beach a few weeks ago. She is such a beautiful mongrel and has already become part of the family. I have to be back to the UK for December as my sister is expecting and dont feel comfortable leaving such a young puppy in a kennel for a month so was looking at options of how to get to Calais where my friend can collect us from. We do not have a car here so need to look at dog friendly alternatives as most forms of transport I have found do not let you travel with dogs or with dogs on foot.

Any sort of advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am beginning to think there might not be a way.

Kind regards to you all

Bolly

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Advice on how to get my dog to Calais

Postby Enrique » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:02 pm

Hi Bollywilbrey,

Welcome to The Forum................ :D

You will need to get a Pets Passport.....Google will get you all the info needed.

The procedure needs to be done in the correct order.........This is a good reference ......

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/infor ... -checklist

There is a New style Pets Passport.......covered in this Thread.......

http://andalucia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=35256

There is a Pet Courier that I have used twice that will carry You and your Pet to UK.

I'll PM (private message) you with the details if you're interested.

If you Posted in your Profile your Location some one might even be able to have your pet and you can fly over............ :idea:

I see you have posted Granada...........but that's a big area......unless of course you actually live in the City.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Bollywilbrey

Postby Bollywilbrey » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:33 pm

Hey there!

Im so sorry for my very delayed reply. We have had people visiting and what with the new school year have been buried deep in paperwork. I really appreciate your very informing reply and for your warm welcome to the forum :)

So I have already started with the procedures with getting her a pet passport. The link you gave me was very interesting as I didnt realise there was a specific order. I have just left it in the the hands of her vet, this way I can be sure it is all being done correctly.

Your idea of a pet courier is fantastic and I would really appreciate it if you gave thier contact details. The only thing is we are on a pretty tight budget, meaning the most cost effective route back to the UK is what we need. Was your journey with the couriers a pricey one? Of course I understand though that this journey is never going to be 'cheap' so to speak.

Do you know of any websites of information on possible rideshares here in Spain? I was wondering if many people head back to the UK for the holidays in their cars? It would also be great to ride share and split the cost of the journey.

Also we live in the very centre of Granada city!! :D I will now update my information incase this will help.

Once again I really appreciate your advice and your time.

Best wishes,
Bolly :D :thumbup: :wave:

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:18 pm

Hi

Did you know that you can fly with your dog? Monarch will fly dogs into major airports and out of most they use.

Other airlines do as well.

May be an easier and cheaper option than pet courier.

Cheers :thumbup:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:35 pm

Hi Bollywilbery,

"I have just left it in the the hands of her vet, this way I can be sure it is all being done correctly. ".........no, Vets are good with animals Rubbish at Paper work.

So you need to check very carefully, that the Dates are in the Correct Format and order. That every entry has a Vets stamp and signature.

I'll PM you the Courier details shortly.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.