Travelling with dogs from Portsmouth to Santander advice ple

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Kizzicoolcat
Tourist

Travelling with dogs from Portsmouth to Santander advice ple

Postby Kizzicoolcat » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:41 pm

Hi could anyone please tell me of their experience(s) good and bad of taking dogs on the ferry, especially if you haven't booked a cabin where the dogs are allowed. Do the dogs have to stay in the car? How do they spend a penny etc etc?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Travelling with dogs from Portsmouth to Santander advice

Postby Enrique » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:29 pm

Hi Kizzicoolcat,
Have a look at the Brittany Ferries site................the light reading bit..........

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/infor ... dly-cabins

I've done the trip many times...........

Pont-Aven.........
Kennels are up on Deck 10, access is via key card. there is a walking area outside round the Kennel area.
Dogs go from the car deck to kennel via lift organised by a Crew member. They have tightened up on the use of Muzzles for that bit.

Cap Finistère...........

Dog kennels are at one end of the deck, with a walk area, the Pet Friendly Cabins down the other end and they have a Dog area up from the cabins.

I always put mine in kennels, as they are crate trained it's home from home and they just settle down and sleep.

There are water bowls attached to the Kennel bars, and Poo bags on a roll in Kennels.

I put mine on "travel" rations so don't feed them much on the trip over. Huskies are ok with not feeding every day especially as they will be sleeping most of the time .

So all good experiences on the trips.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

ValL
Resident

Re: Travelling with dogs from Portsmouth to Santander advice

Postby ValL » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:32 pm

I have done that route on the Pont Aven, with both my dogs. Last trip was a few yrs. ago but they still had not fixed the grid on the floor as you enter the kennels. My first dog ripped her claw on it. I carried this one in and out but other than that she also had no problems. I always took their own beds which did fit inside the kennelling fine. Mine also are used to crates so not fazed by them. I am the one with problems normally always seasick so travel by car now.