Scalibor; Spot treatments et al

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
PavAmber
Andalucia.com Amigo

Scalibor; Spot treatments et al

Postby PavAmber » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:32 pm

Hi all
We are moving to Spain - Lake Vinuela - Malaga province area shortly with our dog (German Shepherd) and cat. We are getting conflicting views from our vets here in UK on best anti tick, flea, sand fly prevention.

We have read quite a bit via the Animal Welfare Foundation and other sites and now find ourselves terrified of what we are exposing our pets to. We appreciate this is the joys of blind research.

We are looking to protect against tick, flea, sand fly borne diseases such as Leishmaniasis, hepatozoonosis, ehrilchiosis (apparently worse with a GSD?) and babesiosis. We appreciate the best thing is keeping the dog inside during the dawn to dusk period.

Pets are currently treated regularly with Frontline Combi which has been fine in the Uk but not sure it works with sand flies. We had looked at a Scalibor collar but have concerns about possible effects on our cat who is often in close proximity to the dog (often sleep together) or a Seresto collar (might be the same thing?). We have also read that swithching to Advantix might be wise.

confused.com. Can anyone shed any light based on first hand experience being out there?

Many thanks
Richard y Lesley

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Scalibor; Spot treatments et al

Postby Enrique » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:12 pm

Hi PavAmber,
We use Advantix for our three Sibs, and the cat has Virbac Effipro.
One of the Sibs likes to sleep outside so he started on the leishmaniosis jabs after the test was clear some years back.

The main problem for us is the grass seeds that shed in the summer and are like little harpoons and work their way into the skin.

You will want Rabies jabs and a Booster every year unlike UK where its three years.

Some Vets seem to have trouble filling in the Pets Passport so check carefully that all the sections are filled in the correct order, you will be able to get out of UK with a badly filled in Pets Passport but not get back with same.

Brittany-Ferries has a good check list.............

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/infor ... -checklist

Our dogs and cat are circa 10 years old and doing fine so don't read too much into the doom and gloom that can be read on internet.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:17 pm

Enrique. How much does adavantix work out per medium dog e.g. 20Kg per annum very approx? Have had a look at their site but not too obvious how often you treat. Do you buy online or from a local Spanish supplier?.

I use Scalibor collar(s) but still have found ticks.

I agree with the grass seeds problem. They are hard to find in hairy paws.

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:31 pm

If you want belt and bracer protection use a Scalibor collar, changed every 6 months, and Advantix every month. The approximate cost for a Scalibor is 20 Euros and 4 pipettes of Advantix approximately 30 Euros. Total protection for around 10 Euros per month, much cheaper that treating Leishmaniosis should your pet catch it.
Hardworking resident !!

PavAmber
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby PavAmber » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:31 pm

Just worried with Scalibor about the potential impact on the cat

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:57 pm

Fincalospinos, is what we do too, rescue 2 has skin that doesn't care for Advantix for a few days, but he is worse with the alternatives for less protection so he itches a bit.

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:27 pm

Wipe the collar with a damp rag before you put it on, it should stop the itching.

Scalibor® is water-resistant and works equally well when wet. It's easy to use and provides dogs from 12 weeks of age with up to 6 months of protection against ticks, as well as fleas. The use of Scalibor® on dogs is not restricted in cat owning households - thanks to its unique friction-release technology.
Hardworking resident !!

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:31 pm

It's the Advantix that gets him, no reaction to the Scalibor. We change collars at 5 months and get both products on the net.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:22 am

FYI

AS some of you Pet people buy from the Web............A recall

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/armi ... fect-alert

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:40 pm

I dont use them myself, but a good " Heads Up", thanks Enrique.
Hardworking resident !!

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:48 pm

Since your pets are coming from a Leishmania-free zone, have you considered the vaccine which is now available. We have been told that it is very effective, but should not be given to dogs likely to have been previously infected (ours have both had Leishmania unfortunately, so now cannot have the vaccine - the antibodies can't do their thing !!!).
I understand there has been some hoo haa on the web about people not liking the vaccine for one reason or another, but you may like to look into it. The one I know of is made by Virbac.
You would still be wise to have preventative treatments against the other nasty mediterranean diseases but Leishmania really is epidemic down here!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:16 pm

Hi ,
Following on from Gasman's Post ref the vaccination..........
For the first eight years we gave Advantix , then when the Vaccination became available had the test done and as it was negative proceeded.

Three jabs close together at 50 euro a shot then annually at 55 euro.

We only had the one Sib done as he was the only one sleeping outside regularly.

Please note my dogs were rescued from a Spanish puppy farm ( :( ) and could have had some resistance anyway.

PavAmber
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby PavAmber » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:46 pm

Interesting. Our UK vets haven't even mentioned a vaccine.

Advantix sounds the way forward to start see a Spanish vet ref the vaccine? Would go with Scalibor collar but have heard can be a real problem if you have a cat (we do!).

Beginning to see the benefits of living on an island!

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:49 am

Some additional information for you :D
http://www.vet4life.co.uk/leishmaniasis/
and
http://www.virbac.co.uk/home/products/v ... leish.html

The vaccine should be available through your vet in the UK - the whole point is to give it in the UK BEFORE exposing your dog to the Mediterranean area. :angel:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:16 pm

Slightly off topic but please be aware of the horrible processionary caterpillers. especially around lake vinuela and anywhere with pine trees. very important if you have any animal