Find a good pest control

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
MauriceW
Andalucia.com Amigo

Find a good pest control

Postby MauriceW » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:34 pm

Hi,

Who knows a reliable (NON-Spanish) pest control in Alhaurin el Grande to exterminate ants?

Even now in the winter we have LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of ants. Small ones, tiny ones, and large ones.
Powder and spray simply does not work good enough. They avoid it and find other holes to enter the house.

There's no food, no garbage or whatever in the house, still these buggers keep getting into the house looking for whatever they want.

After the heavy rain two weeks ago, masses of them came into the house. And I thought they would only come in the summer. WRONG. :twisted:

And now I'm really getting sick and tired of them and they must be destroyed. All of them!!!

So if someone knows a reliable pest control, please let me know.

(and sorry, no offense, but to me that means NO Spanish businesses. They are way too quickly satisfied)

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Find a good pest control

Postby Enrique » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:35 pm

Hi MauriceW,
If you've not been using this ...............ZZ Polvo...give it a go before spending on "Pest Controllers"

http://www.droperco.com/en/ants/1058-zz ... -50gr.html
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:11 pm

From my experience, you must find where their nests are located. That's just a question of watching where they come from, usually from small holes or cracks in the skirting erc. Once located, I use a strong dose of Chlorpyrifos, (Chas 48 or similar) and inject a good shot into the hole with a syringe.

This works with the small house ants and the big ones in the garden. The garden ants nests are more obvious as they create sandy deposits. We have now almost eradicated them, sadly it is not a quick job. A quick spray from a pest control company is unlikely to be effective. Those solutions are better suited to pests that live in the house, like cockroaches or bed bugs etc. Ants are far too clever and you really have to hunt them down over a period of time to get rid of them.

Sid

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:25 pm

Speak to Nigel of NPS. Can't fault him, does most of the foreign bars & restaurants on the coast, has done apartments for us and also does our community every year. Very professional, fully legal / licenced etc.
606 004980
[email protected]
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:21 pm

No need of professionals!!

We use paparrin, which is cipermetrina based powder.

Works everytime!! We buy in 5kg packets. Spread a little near the ant "home". Will all be dead/gone in a couple of hours.

IMO Better than spray.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:14 am

Jhonie,
I dread to think of how many nests you must have on your property ...... if you buy your powder in 5kg bags and a "little" spread near the nest kills the lot in a couple of hours.
That sounds like an awful lot of nests to me ;-)

linajeff
Tourist

Postby linajeff » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:53 am

The reason i love this forum..i am always bumping into some pretty useful information. I just read reviews on paparrin, it seems to actually do a pretty good darn job. My husband will be thrilled that i discovered this. Well of course from recommendations :angel:
:wave:

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:31 am

Yes, papparin is the best.

Gus, no we're not infested with ants, we just like to have plenty of backup. It goes back to a few years ago when we had an extreme problem with fleas from a neighbours occupied house/plot!! The dirtiest Spaniards (the male is Andaluz, the female witch is a nurse!! ) I've ever encountered. Dogs scratching continuously and then their horse died (starvation) causing infestation. I was a magnet for the fleas and their cats would visit us also. I was savaged at times. I tried cal, sulphur, dursban, etc., but the best results was to spread paparrin where the cats were likely to roam. It worked! Eventually, the neighbours cleaned up their act, probably due to their children complaining and also one visitors never returning for a second visit, lol.

Never give up!

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:00 pm

The first thing you need to do is to go over the entire house inside and outside and fill all the cracks. It is not just ants that gets in.