Tying up dogs/cruelty

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Tying up dogs/cruelty

Postby Alcala Barry » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:07 pm

Can any of you tell me if it is illegal to tie up a dog permanently - literally 24hrs per day?
I am particulalry interested in the rules in Andalalucia. I don't have a dog and would certainly not tie it up all day every day.
Any information appreciated.

Regards

Barry

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Tying up dogs/cruelty

Postby El Cid » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:38 pm

I doubt that it's illegal unless you can prove that it is being tied up in a cruel fashion. If you own a potentially dangerous dog, which apart from specified breeds includes dogs over 25kg, the rules say that, if it is kept outside of your property, it has to be tied up or kept in a cage or special compound.

That would suggest that the basic act of tying up a dog is not illegal.

Sid

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:34 pm

Basically many dogs are permanently tied up...if you are out in the countryside then you will find most gun loving men have game dogs which seem to always be tied up...however i have noticed that the same kind of family's have what i call toy dogs...they pamper and pet them like babies..some as you may have noticed are adorned with ribbons...I have never understood the mentality of how they can make such a fuss of their toy dogs while their affections for their other dogs is to just keep them fed and alive for hunting...

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:14 pm

I am not a fanatic about dogs, cats or any other animals, but I do find it disturbing when I see any animals tied up in cramped conditions. In this case this family have the dog tied up permenantly, day and night on a rope no longer than a few metres with a kennel that would barely accomodate a cat. Just as you said they have a 'pretty' little dog that they indulge in all manner of ways - I just do not understand their way of thinking. Plus the dog, out of sheer frustration no doubt, barks at all hours. Seems barbaric to me. This is 2016, not 1816.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:51 pm

It is very difficult to prove any cruelty to a dog if it is fed, watered and is not wallowing in its own excrement. Exercising a dog is not mandatory, for example. Different cultures have different ideas about what dog ownership is about.
For example Brits nearly all keep their dogs inside their houses, (even their bedrooms/beds!). Others prefer their dogs to be kept outside.
If dogs have shelter, water, and food, Seprona are unlikely to find that any laws have been broken.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:58 pm

We live in the Campo and a neighbour has a property under construction (for the last 13 years) and keeps at least 8 dogs there in a fenced area. I have no idea why he should wish to do this. They are not hunting dogs, just a pack of various mongrels. That said, he drives at least 3 km three times a day to feed them. The only time we hear them barking is when they hear his car approaching.

We have another neighbour, who until recently, kept a horse at the bottom of his plot. It was well fed and looked after, but to my knowledge, never left the plot.

I can only assume that it is some sort of "ownership" thing - I have 10 dogs and a horse etc? Very odd to us, but not to a Spaniard.

Sid

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:40 am

According the the information provided by our local Protectora, which is usually well up to date with the rules and regulations regarding keeping of animals in Andalucia, it is illegal to keep a dog permanently on a chain or rope, even if well fed and watered and given shelter from sun or weather. Unfortunately it is still such a common practice it has become difficult to enforce unless there is some form of other neglect reported. However, as the law stands if a dog is permanently chained, it is a reportable offence - to be reported via the Guardia Civil for their SEPRONA department to investigate and deal with appropriately. Dogs may be kept in a fenced area of adequate size and cleanliness with shelter, but NOT chained.

It astonishes us that if one enquires of the owner why he has a dog and why he keeps it on a chain, carefully short of reaching the gate to the property, the response is that it is a guard dog ... !!! Apart from barking its head off and getting into a stressful panic, the poor dog can do nothing to defend the property ... and of course any barking is totally ignored by the owner, IF in residence, and by the neighbours who have to put up with the racket. It is usually a passing cat or fox that causes the upset, but one of these days it may just be a burglar with a evil intent ...
The problem is where to start- the animal-lovers hesitate to put SEPRONA onto ALL the neighbours who chain up their dogs - it is too widespread a problem, especially in the campo, and just take action where there is obvious cruelty, malnutrition, wounds, neglect ...

As to the pampering of the house dog, little cutie, that leaves us speechless too! Cruelty of another form where the poor thing forgets it is a dog and loses its place as subordinate and becomes an unstable snappy terror on many occasions. There is one of those next-door but one ....

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:00 pm

Gasman, very useful information regarding the Guadia and their Seprona department.

This guard dog business is a mystery to us for the same reasons you state. The dog is on such a short rope that anyone could come in and ransack the place and owners and neighbours would be none the wiser. The dog is constantly baited by others (off the lead) and by various cats, rabbits and all sorts. And of course constant stressy barking day and night. A miserable existence for the dog and no use whatsoever as a guard dog.