Dogs in restaurants...latest?

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Dogs in restaurants...latest?

Postby ebbnflow » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:33 pm

I overheard a discussion between a waiter and diners where the waiter stated that they could not allow the couples pet inside as the law forbade it.

The customer then said that the law for Andalucia, at least, had changed late 2016 to put the choice with the restaurant owners. Like myself the waiter was unaware of this but sensibly used the fall-back position of "we" don't allow dogs inside.
I've searched around but I cannot find any up to date reference to this. I've even seen some establishments not allow dogs on their terrace as well.

Does anyone know where to find the current stance on this? I'm not a dog owner but it's still bugging me to know!

Stevemul
Resident

Re: Dogs in restaurants...latest?

Postby Stevemul » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:13 am

In the 1980's I owned a pub in Hertfordshire. We had a lounge bar, a dining room and a public bar. We allowed dogs into the public bar only.
One busy Sunday lunchtime, a woman arrived in a fur coat and sat in the dining room. One of my waiting staff came to me and said " The woman in the fur coat has a little dog tucked into her fur coat".
I told the waiter to tell the woman that she would need to move to the public bar.
A few minutes later the waiter came back to me creased with laughter. The conversation went:
Me: What happened?
Waiter: I said to the woman that she would need to move to the public bar. She asked "Why"
Me: What did you say?
Waiter: I said for hygiene reasons.
Me: Good, what did she say?
Waiter: She said " This dog is as clean as I am!"
Me: What did you say?
Waiter: I said " Do you lick your own *rse Madam?"
Last edited by Stevemul on Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:10 am

I hate seeing dogs in restaurants and pubs. Dog lovers seem to think its ok for there dogs to sniff and lick you. I am not anti dog but i think there is a time and a place and Restaurants are not one of them.
Last edited by costakid on Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:49 am

Completely agree. I'm also not anti dog, or cat or other 'pet' but it is the owners who cause the problems. If owners were responsible they would realise that animals, unlike most but not all humans, do not wash and cover their genitals routinely and so by definition are a hygiene risk.
There! I've said it! I'm prepared for the onslaught!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:26 pm

Picked up a leaflet from our vets in Rincon de la Victoria.
This gives information regarding dogs in Rincon de la Victoria and by the dates was probably published this year.
It indicates that dogs are allowed on the terraces of bars/ restaurants unless they are specifically banned.
So it looks like it is up to the bar/ restaurant owner to decide whether or not dogs are allowed.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris