A Fox Fur Dilemma..!

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

A Fox Fur Dilemma..!

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:18 pm

In our vast collection of vintage/antique clothing we have numerous fox furs/ collars, capes etc. and we have never liked owning them and now we can't make our minds up what to do with them.

Do we just destroy them and dump them .?
Or do we sell them and pass on or use the money to help abandoned dogs and cats. ( We have for many years been involved with animal rescue ).
It just seems a shame to not use the money to help needy animals and I do know that I can sell them to collectors and museums, not to be worn, but to show younger generations what not to do with animals !
Although many Spanish and other nationalities still wear animal furs I think that they are becoming more and more educated in not treating animals like this and I know that there is a big change in attitudes in Spain towards this, but it will take time.

We really couldn't bring ourselves to use the money for our own personal gain, that would really be against our principles.

Perhaps I should explain why we have them in the first place...
In the 1970's we started a theatrical vintage clothing business as part of our antique business, hiring and selling items to theatres, TV and Film companies and agents and dealers in such goods.
Many of our stock items were used in TV dramas and films, we actually saw them in use !
I was also left many early vintage items by my Grandmother who was involved in theatre/music hall for many years and eventually she ran a 'boarding house' for the visiting acts, and at least one of the fox furs was given to her as a gift by a famous visitor, I think Gracie Fields, but I can't remember or find my notes.
I have had to destroy some because on moth damage, but most are in good condition considering they are probably around a 100 years old.
Anyway I know that the members will give me 'fair' opinions ( no pun intended ) of what they think we should do with them.
Thank you in anticipation,
Regards,
Gordon

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: A Fox Fur Dilemma..!

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:33 am

Good Morning Folks,
Thank you for the numerous messages, 2 e-mails and 1 telephone call... :thumbup:

The advice and thoughts were extremely varied , but helpful and today I'm contacting some of my relatives before deciding what to do with the 'fur collection'.
I realise that anything to do with animal furs is an extremely touchy subject, hence members contacting me personally rather than publicly , but I'm glad I asked !
Animal cruelty is never very far away from the headlines, rightly so, but I don't try to make excuses for my ancestors who lived in a very different age and time and what they did happened in antiquity and therefore is history and I just hope that future generations do appreciate that all life should be preserved and respected.

Did anyone see the TV report last week that real fur is actually being sold on garments in the UK and described as fake fur, what a crazy world we live in.!

I had some Spanish friends visiting my home the other day, three generations, I showed some of the furs to them and the Grandmother loved them and said she would wear them, her daughter thought that they were OK , but wouldn't wear them and the granddaughter was absolutely appalled that her Grandmother would even consider wearing them...A Good Marker as to how present generations are thinking...I thought. :think:

So in this present world of violence and depravity I see a little spark of humanity...

Many Thanks and I will write later about what we have decided to do with them, for anyone who is interested.
Regards,
Gordon

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:43 pm

The balance is somewhere between the now accepted repugnant practice of wearing real fur and the over enthusiastic pc brigade who take this acceptance too far.
A retired History lecturer I know was " reported" to the Education Authority which employed her for bringing a real fur item into a lecture to illustrate what our primitive ancestors wore!
I wonder what the reaction would be if I ( as a retired Biolgy Teacher), brought into a classroom, a dissection kit which I used to use to dissect frogs, worms and rats in front of my pupils.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Beni. I saw that item on real fur being passed off as fake. Even cats were being used. It wasn't just cheap markets either that were selling the stuff but reputable shops. Anything for a buck or in this case a fake pelt.

I would have thought a theatre group would be interested and any monies raised could be usefully used by an animal rescue group.

I have three items passed down the generations from a whaling ancestor. A piece of ivory , a piece of baleen and a foul smelling but intricately carved lump of ambergris. Won't sell them or throw away but will pass on to some unsuspecting young relative! Wouldn't buy anything modern era ivory.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:42 pm

Stevemul,
You've 'hit the nail on the head' with your reply ....quote="Stevemul",The balance is somewhere between the now accepted repugnant practice of wearing real fur and the over enthusiastic pc brigade who take this acceptance too far.''

I suppose some people would wonder why I've even mentioned my problem with the furs, but I've really been unsure what to do with them, although I'm a 'Live and let live' sort of person I'm also very aware about the consequences of my actions and not an 'out of sight out of mind person'...
So I'm really grateful for all of the input.. :wave:

Someone also mentioned that my collections and interests are vast and differ so much,but I've been a dedicated collector ( not hoarder ) of so many different items over the years and even though I often get critics passing sarcastic comments about 'why would you want to collect that' ?, I'm pleased to say that some of my collections are now sat in museums and colleges all over the world and in the hands of many very serious collectors.
And I would add that I've not been motivated by money, I've donated many items and I'm just pleased that they have gone to 'good homes'.
Many of my collections actually blend seamlessly for me and I find that having different experience and knowledge actually helps me understand many things even away from collecting.

Olive commented..

''I would have thought a theatre group would be interested and any monies raised could be usefully used by an animal rescue group. ''
Yes, good advice and I'm considering that option now.

I'm sure other members have inherited items , such as your whaling items, that are now frowned on, but as I stated previously they are part of history and should ,in my opinion, be preserved to show new generations what not to do .
It is also important to remember that use of animal skins and fur etc. has been around for many 1000's of years, I also collect prehistoric stone implements, ( I can hear you groaning :D ), and even last week I found an axe head and some other items that I believe were used in preparing animal skins and for other domestic uses.
I go at least twice a month searching dry river beds and shallow babbling brooks.. :lol:

Anway...where was I ?.....oh yes furs....I've just had a relative ask me if they can have some of the 'family' collection and I've agreed.!
I didn't really mention the quantity of fur related items in my possession but it is more than 100.. :oops:
There are a few items that I am going to keep, like a pair of sealskin motoring gauntlets from circa 1920 and a Victorian 'Royal' Cape, white ermine I believe, I actually have a photo of the original owner wearing this...
I've waffled long enough..so I'll stop there....
Regards,
Gordon

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:30 pm

Blimey Benedorm :crazy: :crazy:

I'm not surprised your dog was hypnotised with you all dressed up in your fine furs........ :roll: :roll:

I think I might have been too :think: :think:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:13 pm

Unicorn,
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I actually showed the younger dog one of the fox furs, she growled ...the dog not the fox....and ran off....

Your name just reminded me of when a dealer once tried to sell me a 'Unicorn Tusk'... :shock: , it was actually a Narwhal tusk...

Regards,
Gordon

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:43 pm

I have a similar dilemma - hubby's Mum's fur stole ! I think I will just conceal it in the pile of stuff for my step-daughters ("dont throw that away - it was Dad's/Nanny's/Grandpa's") - I'm probably being a bit evil, 'cos one of them is a dedicated vegetarian ;-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:04 am

Chrissie,
I think that often retaining items that belonged to ancestors is a good thing, even if you dislike the item.!
It does keep you aware how much has changed during the past 100 years and hopefully understanding history can affect peoples thoughts about the future...
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by BENIDORM on Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:33 pm

I suspect you meant ancestors rather than descendants ;-) but I know what you mean - I don't have a problem with keeping them, apart from the fact that they've been stacked up in a room for nearly 3 years now, with no sign of them being collected :-( !

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:38 pm

Chrissie,
Yes you are quite correct, my dyslexia kicked in ,and as usual I was trying to do three things at the same time..not a good idea.!

I will correct my mistook... :lol:

Regards,
nodroG..... :D

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:34 pm

:-) :-)

HarryJ
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby HarryJ » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:34 am

Is wearing fur morally worse than wearing leather? :think:

Stevemul
Resident

Postby Stevemul » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:29 pm

I listened to a radio talk show phone in one day. The subject was animal cruelty and experimentation on animals. A caller identified herself as a " new age travellor" who attended animal rights rallies " all over the UK".
"How do you get to them?" asked the radio presenter. "In my VW Camper Van" she replied.
" When you get there in the summer, do you have hundreds of dead insects all over the front of your van?" asked the presenter. " Yes but ......" she replied.
"Oh, it's a size issue is it?" the presenter said.

HarryJ
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby HarryJ » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:02 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:53 pm

Unicorn wrote:Blimey Benedorm :crazy: :crazy:

I'm not surprised your dog was hypnotised with you all dressed up in your fine furs........ :roll: :roll:

I think I might have been too :think: :think:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree! :P Now where was I. I feel all over come! :wink:
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:49 am

Thanks everyone for your Advice,Help and Humour... :thumbup:

We've had a very busy week including having to sort out our 'Furry Friends', but at least they don't eat a lot !!!

I have to say that I'm actually very surprised at the responses to my request for help, No One actually suggested disposing-destroying the furs, and most thought that it made practical sense to try to raise funds from the sale of them and use it to help living animals... :thumbup:

So we have already sent some to a source who will attempt to sell them on our behalf and we decided to pass on the 'family collection' to some of our relatives who feel that they should be preserved as family history, not to wear and one of them is actually a vegan .!
And I did relent and let a Spanish friend take a rabbit fur jacket to wear.. :shock:

Anyway at least I've now made some more space in my 'bunker', maybe I'll start a new collection of something else...
Regards,
Gordon..( now living in a fox free zone )

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:37 pm

:clap: :thumbup: :D