Law re dog guards/harnesses in cars?

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Myrtle
Tourist

Law re dog guards/harnesses in cars?

Postby Myrtle » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:33 pm

I have recently been told that the law in Spain is that dogs travelling in cars must be behind a dog guard, in a dog cage or wearing a specially designed seat belt harness and that if dogs travel without such restraints the owner is liable to a fine. There seems to be conflicting advice about this on the Net. Can someone clarify, please?

Also, does the law relate to all dogs regardless of size? We have three medium sized dogs plus a handbag pooch. The latter is sometimes on my lap (not when I am driving!) or in the passenger seat/footwell.

Many thanks.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Re: Law re dog guards/harnesses in cars?

Postby Jool » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:07 pm

dogs travelling in cars must be behind a dog guard, in a dog cage or wearing a specially designed seat belt harness and that if dogs travel without such restraints the owner is liable to a fine.
This is the true position, a dog must not be allowed to reach, interfere with or distract the driver of the vehicle in which it is travelling and thus if it is wearing a seat belt harness the dog must not be able to reach the driver and of course must be on the back seat not the front.

I know people who have been stopped and fined for not complying - its not an urban myth!

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:01 pm

I wouldn't worry about the rules too much, I doubt that this one would be rigorously enforced, though your posting does beg the question, "why would you want three dogs in the car with you"??
Ah! the full english!!

Myrtle
Tourist

Postby Myrtle » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:01 pm

Thankks, Jool. I have heard of people being fined here recently too (Nerja area). Someone said that the fine is per dog which could work out a bit pricey.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:09 pm

Apparently people have been fined for having loose goods such as shopping bags in the back.

The Guardia are obviously on a money raising binge at the moment.

Sid

Jane and Terry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jane and Terry » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:11 pm

Here in the Alpujarras I know of several people who have been given on the spot fines for having unrestrained dogs in the car.This has happened locally , so maybe it's the latest purge. They have also been asked for the animals documents too, I suppose to check for microchips and rabies injections.

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:07 am

i got stopped buy the guardia a couple of years back my 2 jack russels were loose in the car,its a fair cop,got fined 45e,paid to bank,bought a cage same day,no probs since

kind of obvious really
jayne countys most famous song,google it

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:47 am

Yes Frog it is kind of obvious really. :?
Dogs loose in cars are a distraction.I get annoyed when i see them bounding all over the front and back seats,sometimes even with their paws on the dash.Children are the same,they are never in the back seat wearing seatbelts.I have seen as many as three bunched up in the front seat next to their "caring Mummy" :roll: common sense really to have the lot restrained in the car and in the home... :lol: