civil partnerships & rip-off Britain

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Mariposa
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: civil partnerships & rip-off Britain

Postby Mariposa » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:56 pm

Does anyone know if the Pareja de Hecho certificate if issued in Spain has any validity in the Uk, and if having one means that a couple will get the combined uk state pension for example? I know that the major advantage in spain is the health benefit if one partner is not retirement age, as well as the inheritance stuff, but would they lose any pensions in the uk they were entitled to as a single person?

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:39 am

I doubt that a "parejo de hecho" registered in Spain is valid in the UK, but your best bet is probably to ring the UK consulate in Malaga and ask them. (We were there today and I must say that Consul Stephen Jones and his staff were so friendly, helpful and polite, that handing over a large wad of cash for virtually nothing didn't feel too bad after all!)
As for the pension question, bearing in mind that in order to register as a pareja de hecho, you need a certificate from the consulate stating that you are single (or divorced), and that since registering as a pareja de hecho is not the same as a marriage, I can only presume that your civil status will still officially be "single" anyway.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:52 am

So Miro, whns the big day ? i take it we are all invited :idea:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:41 pm

You already missed it. Filled in a couple of forms at the town hall this morning. 5 minutes, no charge, done & dusted.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.