Agency Work and Social Security

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Free at Last
Resident

Agency Work and Social Security

Postby Free at Last » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:41 am

There is a possibility that I may be able to do some temporary work on an "as and when required" basis via an employment agency. I might work full time for a few weeks a year, other weeks maybe one or two days and not work at all for several weeks at a time.

If it goes ahead, could anyone advise me what the position would be regarding the social security system? I certainly don't want to register as autonomo when I might have no income at all in any given month, and I don't need state health cover or to build up pension rights in Spain, but I do want to be legal.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Re: Agency Work and Social Security

Postby Jool » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:32 pm

Sorry but you are not free at last! If you will be self employed and only working for the employment agency on that basis then you have no option other than to register as autonomo and pay seg social every month regardless of whether you generate an income that month, there is no other way of working legally that I know of. You will be able to deduct any seg social contributions you have made from any income you declare to Hacienda - see You and the Law in Spain section on here under subject Retenciones.

However if the Agency were to be employing you as a retained employee and paying you a salary that would be a different matter, but this seems highly unlikely.

Free at Last
Resident

Re: Agency Work and Social Security

Postby Free at Last » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:45 pm

Oh well, looks like I will be passing up this opportunity, then. At least I'll be able to keep my freedom though! :)